Calmom

Wheat Grass = Gluten Free?

Rate this topic

I bought a bottle of LIfeway Kefier Pomegranate Acai Blueberry . It is labeled gluten free. I have tried many of their other flavors with no problem, so I didn't bother to read the ingredients until after I had some. Wheat grass was listed on the ingredients, so was barley grass. You would think that because I am still recovering from a glutening right before the end of the year, I would be more conscientious, but no. I feel fine at the moment, but I plan to call the company tomorrow.

Is it possible the wheat grass and barley grass truley do not contain gluten? I have stayed away from it up until now.

Could be the degree of sensitivity. I thought I was going to die after having something that I was told was gluten free -- later to find out, Oh yeah there is wheat grass in it.. There is a fair amount of disagreement on it's status so if it doesnt bother you, your lucky!

I bought a bottle of LIfeway Kefier Pomegranate Acai Blueberry . It is labeled gluten free. I have tried many of their other flavors with no problem, so I didn't bother to read the ingredients until after I had some. Wheat grass was listed on the ingredients, so was barley grass. You would think that because I am still recovering from a glutening right before the end of the year, I would be more conscientious, but no. I feel fine at the moment, but I plan to call the company tomorrow.

Is it possible the wheat grass and barley grass truley do not contain gluten? I have stayed away from it up until now.

The grass does not contain gluten. The issue is how carefully the harvesting is timed. If any of the plants have gone to seed, there will be gluten in the grass. Products with wheat grass or barley grass are only reliably safe if they are being tested for gluten.

Have you found a source or brand that was always safe?

I used to enjoy it

The grass does not contain gluten. The issue is how carefully the harvesting is timed. If any of the plants have gone to seed, there will be gluten in the grass. Products with wheat grass or barley grass are only reliably safe if they are being tested for gluten.