Booghead

Hashimotos Antibody Tests

Rate this topic

So I haven't posted in a while, been trying to stay away from the internet and thyroid problems all together. Today I had my blood drawn for the TPOab and one other thyroid hemoglobin or something similar.

Several doctors are saying the thyroid results in the last few months could have just been thrown off by something, and that they were probably just flukes. So now we are having the final test, it is so hard because I really want them to be positive because I can take pills and feel better and have a normal life. If these tests come back normal then I'm going to have to live with these problems until I move out or possibly for life. My mom feels like she has done everything she can and she is kind of right. I understand her not wanting to deal with it or search for more answers.

I am really nervous, I am trying to prepare for the worst and have the tests come out negative or normal for anything. Any advice?

Thanks

So I haven't posted in a while, been trying to stay away from the internet and thyroid problems all together. Today I had my blood drawn for the TPOab and one other thyroid hemoglobin or something similar.

Several doctors are saying the thyroid results in the last few months could have just been thrown off by something, and that they were probably just flukes. So now we are having the final test, it is so hard because I really want them to be positive because I can take pills and feel better and have a normal life. If these tests come back normal then I'm going to have to live with these problems until I move out or possibly for life. My mom feels like she has done everything she can and she is kind of right. I understand her not wanting to deal with it or search for more answers.

I am really nervous, I am trying to prepare for the worst and have the tests come out negative or normal for anything. Any advice?

Thanks

I have hashimotos. When I was feeling just awful I went to my MD and asked for a thyroid sonogram and a blood test for antibodies. The picture came back with complex cysts, and nodules, and mild enlargement. He said that was all normal as no anitibodies present. From what I understand now, 3 years later, sometimes the antibodies won't show up or you get false negative/positives. You have to go by symptoms and also the appearance of the gland. Two and half years later, my new doctor found antibodies, but I had already been on natural thyroid hormone. And I can say in the beginning the first doctor to treat me kept me at such a low dose I went more hypo and gained a lot of weight.

Now at a good dose for the last two years or so I feel pretty good, still have some issues joint pains and muscle stiffness, a fibro type of thing, but the chronic pain I suffered daily is gone, and I'm doing so much better.

So I suggest you look for doctors that treat thyroid by symptoms. If you need a doctor in your area (if in US)I can look on a list I have.

Don't give up.

I have hashimotos. When I was feeling just awful I went to my MD and asked for a thyroid sonogram and a blood test for antibodies. The picture came back with complex cysts, and nodules, and mild enlargement. He said that was all normal as no anitibodies present. From what I understand now, 3 years later, sometimes the antibodies won't show up or you get false negative/positives. You have to go by symptoms and also the appearance of the gland. Two and half years later, my new doctor found antibodies, but I had already been on natural thyroid hormone. And I can say in the beginning the first doctor to treat me kept me at such a low dose I went more hypo and gained a lot of weight.

Now at a good dose for the last two years or so I feel pretty good, still have some issues joint pains and muscle stiffness, a fibro type of thing, but the chronic pain I suffered daily is gone, and I'm doing so much better.

So I suggest you look for doctors that treat thyroid by symptoms. If you need a doctor in your area (if in US)I can look on a list I have.

Don't give up.

This is excellent advice! I, too, have Hashi's and although I was very positive as far as my blood work went, not everyone has that experience. It's an autoimmune disease and like all the others, you can have symptoms long before it shows in your testing. That's why it's so hard to diagnose sometimes. Doctors are trained to only look at test results and don't take symptoms too much into consideration....they tend to blow them off. Those are the doctors you need to ditch and find someone who treats symptoms too. They tend to be non-HMO physicians, I'm afraid. I found my medical care got better when I started paying cash for it to get the doctors who think outside the box.

Well living at home I am ultimately at the mercy of my parents and their wallet. It does shock me how so many doctors say "Well the tests were fine." And it is like a slap in the face, I'm so glad my tests are fine but what about my stomach and symptoms?

It's bull****, but I hope to either come back positive or find a doctor who treats symptoms.

Thanks

I'm with you that doctors ignore labs all too much and I sometimes why they even bother to order them. A doctor the other day mentioned to methe adrenal glands specifically cortisol production.

Probably finding out test results tonight, within the hour. I'm going to go try to work on math and start preparing for a negative test result.