This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Freezing Single Batches Of Leftover Soups

researchmomma

researchmomma Contributor

Hi, I want to make a bunch of different soups and freeze left over portions that are easy to heat up via microwave or pan on the stove for my daughter's school lunches.

Does anyone have a good way to do this? I really didn't want to have to buy 20 plastic containers (I also don't like heating up plastic in the microwave).

Thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

missy'smom Collaborator

Hi, I want to make a bunch of different soups and freeze left over portions that are easy to heat up via microwave or pan on the stove for my daughter's school lunches.

Does anyone have a good way to do this? I really didn't want to have to buy 20 plastic containers (I also don't like heating up plastic in the microwave).

Thanks!

I also don't like heating plastic in the microwave. There are a number of things you can do.

Cool it down completely, put it in:

ziplock freezer bags

any repurposed/recycled plastic container(if you don't want to spend $) I often use margarine tubs. They stack well.

the usual plastic containers

In the a.m. take it out of the freezer, plop into a non-plastic bowl and microwave or a pan on the stove. Then put in the pre-heated thermos(fill with hot water, put on lid while you are prepping and then dump water when you are ready to fill.

OR you can purchase individual corningware/pyrex dishes which are micro and freezer safe.

I also don't like heating plastic in the microwave. There are a number of things you can do.

Cool it down completely, put it in:

ziplock freezer bags

any repurposed/recycled plastic container(if you don't want to spend $) I often use margarine tubs. They stack well.

the usual plastic containers

In the a.m. take it out of the freezer, plop into a non-plastic bowl and microwave or a pan on the stove. Then put in the pre-heated thermos(fill with hot water, put on lid while you are prepping and then dump water when you are ready to fill.

OR you can purchase individual corningware/pyrex dishes which are micro and freezer safe.

Good suggestions.

love2travel Mentor

You can freeze it in glass jars as well. To prevent cracking when thawing, place the jar on a softer surface such as an oven mitt. When I freeze in jars I place cling wrap on top to cover the surface.

My favourite method is to freeze in freezer bags flat so I can stack them and save space. They also freeze and thaw more quickly as well.

Keep in mind that some cream soups do not freeze as well and can become grainy when re-heated.

kwylee Apprentice

I have one of those food sealers that I freeze most everything in, including soup. Some things, e.g., a piece of roasted chicken, can even be vacuumed sealed which really extends the freezer life. This is the unit that uses the plastic bags. I avoid excessively heating plastics as well, so I always make sure that food is cool before freezing and I never put the bags in the microwave. For a single serving of soup it just takes the bag about 10 minutes in a warm water bath to almost totally defrost (do before I leave the house in the morning), then I put things in glass or other BPA free containers to transport for later warming, OR, I heat at home and put in a thermos.

Not sure how old your daughter is so may not be as practical for you.

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

And potatoes get a weird texture, too. Maybe cream if potato would be ok, but chunks of potato are ick.

I like to freeze ziplock bags flat. My second favorite is the Ball freezer jars. They are plastic but so secure and easy and they measure 8oz. If you run them under hot water a few minutes the contents fall out and you can microwave the contents in another bowl.

Great ideas! Prickly, I love that idea of the Ball freezer jars because my daughters thermos holds about 8oz! Are they readily available.

Kywylee: we have one of those but I never use it. Just like my standing mixer, it may make a reappearance now that we are gluten free.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

Great ideas! Prickly, I love that idea of the Ball freezer jars because my daughters thermos holds about 8oz! Are they readily available.

Kywylee: we have one of those but I never use it. Just like my standing mixer, it may make a reappearance now that we are gluten free.

I find them with the canning stuff and home plastics - Saran wrap, foil, etc.

I put my son's "vitamin smoothie" in them. Blender makes 5 cups. Pack of containers =5. I take one out per day, let it thaw in the fridge, he eats it when he gets home. Yay yay.

Love those things.

burdee Enthusiast

Thanks!

I freeze single servings of homemade soup all the time. I use Corningware Petit pans which you can freeze and then thaw and heat in the microwave. Each holds 1-3/4 cup volume. I pour the soup into the petit pan leaving about 1/4-1/2 inch at the top for freezer expansion. Then I cover the pan with plastic wrap (or wax paper) and put on the lid and freeze. If you can't find Corningware petit pans (also available in a 2-1/2? cup size), another brand might offer a freeze, thaw and microwave container. I believe Pyrex also makes some glass freeze/thaw/cook containers. I wouldn't use plastic containers for reheating or microwaving.

Skylark Collaborator

I have a few Glasslock freeze/thaw/heat containers that I love. Pop off the plactic lid and put the glass in the microwave with a cover. When those are full I use BPA free Ziploc Twist

Burdee and Skylark: great suggestions too!

Cathey Apprentice

The last few years I made 2 pots of soup every weekend to help feed my in-laws ( a hearty and nutritious first dish) and made vegetation chili for our son. I cool the meal then cool, put in 2 cup or 4 cup plastic containers (buy @ the dollar store), freeze. I throw out the container after 3 or 4 times use. Defrost, reheat in a glass bowl or 4 cup glass measure cup in the microwave, in-laws would eat while hot and our sons chili would go in his pre-heated w/ hot water thermos.

Wenmin Enthusiast

Instead of going out to buy containers, use empty 2 liter soft drink bottles. They can be cut to the size you need (just take a sharp knife/scissors and cut the bottle across the top to the size you desire). Freeze standing upright, then the next day add about 1/2 to 1 inch of water on top as a sealer. They also stack well once frozen. I use this to freeze almost anything. Once they are frozen they can be tossed around without fear of them breaking open. This method is wonderful for freezing deheaded shrimp. The tails tend to bust through ziploc freezer bags, then you have a watery/icy mess in your freezer. The shrimp tails will never penetrate the 2 liter drink bottles. My family use these to freeze any and all left overs, fresh meats (deer meat, duck breasts, frogs, pork, etc) It's my family's own little secret to reuse/recycle. When you want to retrieve what is in them, place in microwave for a few minutes on defrost and the contents pour out, or the container can be cut off using a sharp knife and lots of care.

Wenmin

curlyfries Contributor

I bring soup to work in small glass bowls that have lids, so I will freeze in those. If I want to freeze a lot, I line the bowls with foil or plastic, add soup and freeze, then remove foil or plastic. Then I can keep them all in a large plastic bag or vacuum seal in a bag. That way I can pop one in a bowl whenever I want and take it to work.

sa1937 Community Regular

I like to use the 1-lb. round plastic deli containers to freeze soup (obviously allow room for expansion) and then run water over it and heat it up in a [url=Open Original Shared LinkCorningWare

Archived