This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Outdoor Temperature Today?

love2travel

IrishHeart Veteran

We are expecting 3-6" of snow. I'm watching with a nervous eye as I wait for my call to go to the Mayo Clinic. It looks like they'll be getting snow too?

BM, (oooo, probably not the best nickname I gave to you)

They will clear those roads in no time---no worries! ;)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Jestgar Rising Star

The UW is closed for the third day. I'm not sure such a thing has ever happened. But I still have power, which is not true for several hundred thousand people.

love2travel Mentor

THAT is when you go visit LOVE2TRAVEL!!!! :)

By then, it should have warmed up to about 12 or so.

:lol::lol::lol:

Believe it or not, by July it can get up to 100F! Not often but it certainly is not uncommon. There is an area in Portugal that would be perfect for me - about 70F nearly always, with a variant of only 5 degrees. None of this icky -40 all the way up to 100 stuff!

love2travel Mentor

Loves..I wouldn't want your weather..no way..no how! We've had temps way above normal most of the winter so far. It's just turning colder with wind chills below 0. We are expecting 3-6" of snow. I'm watching with a nervous eye as I wait for my call to go to the Mayo Clinic. It looks like they'll be getting snow too?

Sylvia..you can still go..just tell Loves you need to eat BEFORE you shovel..then stall... :D

Prickly..how dare you post those temps! LOL

I don't blame you. It is NOT nice. We are used to it, having lived in this climate all our lives, but that does not mean we have to like it! :P

Wonder how long you will have to wait for your Mayo Clinic appointment...

IrishHeart Veteran

The UW is closed for the third day. I'm not sure such a thing has ever happened. But I still have power, which is not true for several hundred thousand people.

Wow, :o that's unheard of for universities. I know I never got that many days off in a row, even when we had Nor'Easters.

Glad you still have power. Hang in there!

sa1937 Community Regular

Sylvia..you can still go..just tell Loves you need to eat BEFORE you shovel..then stall... :D

If she feeds me before I shovel, I'll need a nap! :lol:

I expect I'll be doing some shoveling of my own tomorrow as they're predicting 3 - 5" of snow and then posssibly freezing rain/ice. Ugh! :o

love2travel Mentor

If she feeds me before I shovel, I'll need a nap! :lol:

I expect I'll be doing some shoveling of my own tomorrow as they're predicting 3 - 5" of snow and then posssibly freezing rain/ice. Ugh! :o

That freezing rain is downright horrid. We had freezing rain awhile ago (a long while ago) and it froze solid so under our snow (we don't have much - just a few inches) is a thick massive sheet of ice. You could easily skate on the streets.

I hope you don't get any of that. Yuck.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

sa1937 Community Regular

That freezing rain is downright horrid. We had freezing rain awhile ago (a long while ago) and it froze solid so under our snow (we don't have much - just a few inches) is a thick massive sheet of ice. You could easily skate on the streets.

I hope you don't get any of that. Yuck.

I think we fared pretty well with about 3" of snow and a thin coating of ice over that. My neighbor across the street just plowed my driveway (NICE!) so after I'm sure it's over, I'll go out and shovel my sidewalks. Am wondering about my sanity when I bought this corner lot never thinking about having to shovel snow. Well, it wasn't yet winter when I bought it. :P

IrishHeart Veteran

I think we fared pretty well with about 3" of snow and a thin coating of ice over that. My neighbor across the street just plowed my driveway (NICE!) so after I'm sure it's over, I'll go out and shovel my sidewalks. Am wondering about my sanity when I bought this corner lot never thinking about having to shovel snow. Well, it wasn't yet winter when I bought it. :P

'Mornin all!

Yes, that snowy goodness moved up from Sylvia's house into my top right corner of the US--yippee ( <_< IH feigns false enthusiasm)

Snowing pretty hard right now. "They" predict GUESS :lol: 3"--but who knows what will happen. Honestly, it's been a dud of a winter, so I am not complaining. :)

May need to bake something later, however...can't go anywhere, might as well bake. :lol:

sa1937 Community Regular

'Mornin all!

Yes, that snowy goodness moved up from Sylvia's house into my top right corner of the US--yippee ( dry.gif IH feigns false enthusiasm)

Snowing pretty hard right now. "They" predict GUESS :lol: 3"--but who knows what will happen. Honestly, it's been a dud of a winter, so I am not complaining. :)

May need to bake something later, however...can't go anywhere, might as well bake. :lol:

It looks like it's completely moved out of my area...so hopefully it moves fast out of yours.

I'm also thinking of baking...maybe today's the day for that *perfect* loaf of gluten-free bread. :lol: :lol: :lol: But first I need to shovel. Ugh!

IrishHeart Veteran

.maybe today's the day for that *perfect* loaf of gluten-free bread. :lol: :lol: :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sylvia and the Elusive Holy Grail of the Perfect Loaf....the Saga continues...you are one persistent woman and I love you for it!!!

Still have room in the freezer do you? :lol:

Jestgar Rising Star

But first I need to shovel. Ugh!

I'll be putting on my hip waders to take the trash out. Poor chickies are all muddy.

sa1937 Community Regular

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sylvia and the Elusive Holy Grail of the Perfect Loaf....the Saga continues...you are one persistent woman and I love you for it!!!

Still have room in the freezer do you? :lol:

I will never give up. I will never give up. I will never give up. :lol:

It's possible I may have to rearrange the freezer. ;)

IrishHeart Veteran

I'll be putting on my hip waders to take the trash out. Poor chickies are all muddy.

So, it melted that fast? yikes.... poor chickies. :(

sa1937 Community Regular

How terrible! Have you ever given the chickies a bath? :unsure:

IrishHeart Veteran

I will never give up. I will never give up. I will never give up. :lol:

It's possible I may have to rearrange the freezer. ;)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

If you lived with LOVE2TRAVEL---you could just store it OUTSIDE....

sa1937 Community Regular

Heck, if I lived with love2travel, I'd just eat her wonderful gluten-free bread and give up trying for the elusive *perfect* loaf! :P

love2travel Mentor

Of course we don't think of these things when it is green outside, the birds are chirping and the flowers blooming. A corner lot would be OUCH in winter!

love2travel Mentor

:lol::lol::lol:

Actually, we sometimes do store stuff outside in the snow - it would be fine for at least five months, sometimes six. But not very often. Maybe if someone were to come and shovel the driveway for us that someone could find out for him/herself! :lol:

love2travel Mentor

Heck, if I lived with love2travel, I'd just eat her wonderful gluten-free bread and give up trying for the elusive *perfect* loaf! :P

Sylvia, you are quite the bread/pizza maker yourself!! :)

I am making baguettes tomorrow. Hey - many of you may know this, but for making great (OK, great is exaggerating!) textured gluten-free bread, you heave your cold cast iron skillet into the oven, crank her up to whatever temp your recipe is, toss in goods, and then throw a couple of ice cubes onto the now-hot cast iron pan. The steam with the first initial few moments helps make the texture airier. Honest. It really does work and made a more desirable texture with my cinnamon buns the other day.

sa1937 Community Regular

Of course we don't think of these things when it is green outside, the birds are chirping and the flowers blooming. A corner lot would be OUCH in winter!

It never entered my mind. LOL But after my neighbor across the street plowed my driveway this morning, my next door neighbor used his snowblower on my sidewalk. I am very grateful to live in a development with such kind neighbors.

sa1937 Community Regular

Sylvia, you are quite the bread/pizza maker yourself!! :)

I am making baguettes tomorrow. Hey - many of you may know this, but for making great (OK, great is exaggerating!) textured gluten-free bread, you heave your cold cast iron skillet into the oven, crank her up to whatever temp your recipe is, toss in goods, and then throw a couple of ice cubes onto the now-hot cast iron pan. The steam with the first initial few moments helps make the texture airier. Honest. It really does work and made a more desirable texture with my cinnamon buns the other day.

Not exactly...I can do pretty well on pizza but the bread is still elusive. But I don't give up!!! It's still better than anything I can find around here.

I don't have a cast iron skillet but I have on occasion put a pan of hot water in the oven when I bake bread. Doesn't thowing ice cubes in a hot cast iron skillet make it warp?

love2travel Mentor

I don't have a cast iron skillet but I have on occasion put a pan of hot water in the oven when I bake bread. Doesn't thowing ice cubes in a hot cast iron skillet make it warp?

Not yet! It is what many professional kitchens do but then they have access to great equipment. You make a good point. So far I have not done it at high heat and my cast is so heavy that I cannot imagine warping. They are so heavy I must get my husband to put them in/take them out or I risk hurting my back.

Archived