Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Cashe2

Reaction To Sunflower Oil?

Rate this topic

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

I am currently soy, gluten and diary free (except I still have butter). I have been keeping a food journal and it seems that shortly after eating something with sunflower oil or sunflower lecthin in it I get a bit crampy and get an upset stomach.

Anyone else?

You are not alone. I recently dropped sunflower after suspected reactions to a salad dressing with the oil in it and Earthbalance spread which has the lecitin. I felt much better! I'm pretty confident thst it was the sunflower because I have SO many allergies and eat VERY simple foods, with no ingrediemts lists or very short ones. In time, I will try to reintroduce the Earthbalance and see how it goes. I miss it! and SO many things contain the oil! The vast majority of my food allergens give me GI symptoms. I see hard wired for them.

Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11

Son: ADHD '06,

neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07

ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08

ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08

Gluten-free-Feb. '09

other food allergies

Join eNewsletter

Interesting! I'll have to keep an eye on symtoms when I try to reintroduce it, but I am wondering how much gluten would be left by the time it ends up as oil or lecitin. Seeds, you'd think they'd wash and that'd remove a lot. Hmmm. Most of my symptoms with foods have been allergy symtoms and different from glutening but I don't remember clearly enough about the sunflower. I'lll take note. Thanks.

Me: GLUTEN-FREE 7/06, multiple food allergies, T2 DIABETES DX 8/08, LADA-Latent Autoimmune Diabetes in Adults, Who knew food allergies could trigger an autoimmune attack on the pancreas?! 1/11 Re-DX T1 DM, pos. DQ2 Celiac gene test 9/11

Son: ADHD '06,

neg. CELIAC PANEL 5/07

ALLERGY: "positive" blood and skin tests to wheat, which triggers his eczema '08

ENTEROLAB testing: elevated Fecal Anti-tissue Transglutaminase IgA Dec. '08

Gluten-free-Feb. '09

other food allergies

Join eNewsletter

I have the same problem.  Have neurogical problems by using sunflower-,  rapeseed-, corn-, soy- and canola oil. Only coconut oil and some brands of olive oil ate save.  Also a severe reaction by sugar,  cane and beet sugar.

Did anybody thinks about the relation with glyphosate? All those things we are reacting on are 'round up ready'.  Save food is growing in trees. Could it be that we are victims of Monsantos glyphosate? 

Join eNewsletter

I am celiac and eat gluten-free, DF, SF and sunflower free because I'm highly reactive to all 4. I discovered about a year and a half ago that I would have severe and immediate GI reactions, similar to as if I ate dairy, to anything with sunflower/safflower products in it, but I think that's when using the oil became more prevalent too. Strange because I loved sunflower seeds as a kid. I've also linked it to places I've eaten out where everything was fine and then discovered they started using sunflower oil after I had eaten there and been ok previously.  I've completely removed anything with sunflower from my diet and it has helped tremendously. Likely unable to process the proteins or Omega 6 fatty acids properly. Make sure you ask/inform at restaurants too about sunflower since it's much more common now. 

Join eNewsletter

On 1/17/2012 at 4:43 PM, Cashe2 said:

I am currently soy, gluten and diary free (except I still have butter). I have been keeping a food journal and it seems that shortly after eating something with sunflower oil or sunflower lecthin in it I get a bit crampy and get an upset stomach.

Anyone else?

Me too!! I am highly allergic to sunflower oil... hair loss , severe digestive problems- constipation, bloating, stomach gurgling!! I stay away from all sunflower oil and canola oil, as well as soy...  so glad I found an online community where I am not alone in this struggle of food allergies and intolerances! not that much other info available online.

Join eNewsletter

Very interesting to read the above.  I had been having symptoms of excessing burping and pain in upper back and never associated it with any food intolerances. I then developed autoimmune hepatitis following a period of the digestive problem.  Doctors do not agree it could be connected to any food.  I recently did a York allergy test privately it showed intolerance to Buckwheat and Sunflower. 

Join eNewsletter

Through experimenting with my diet I am convinced that butter spreads using sunflower oil are causing me several problems. The most obvious one being stomach cramps and diarrhoea. I am now also pretty convinced that it is causing some breathing difficulties, I feel like I can never draw in a complete satisfying breath. I have only just noticed that this appears to be happening after consuming said butter spreads. Strangely enough I have also been suffering a burning pain in the tip of my tongue despite my thyroid levels being fine and having regular  vit. B12 injections, I need further self observation though with this issue. As a vegan I am now at a loss as to what I can use to spread on my bread.

Join eNewsletter

On 1/30/2020 at 7:04 PM, J I M said:

Through experimenting with my diet I am convinced that butter spreads using sunflower oil are causing me several problems. The most obvious one being stomach cramps and diarrhoea. I am now also pretty convinced that it is causing some breathing difficulties, I feel like I can never draw in a complete satisfying breath. I have only just noticed that this appears to be happening after consuming said butter spreads. Strangely enough I have also been suffering a burning pain in the tip of my tongue despite my thyroid levels being fine and having regular  vit. B12 injections, I need further self observation though with this issue. As a vegan I am now at a loss as to what I can use to spread on my bread.

Have you tried pinpointing the issue by trying sunflower seed spread plain or just sunflower oil? I thought on several occasions I had issues with sunflower based products but I am completely fine with the Organic Sunbutter Spread. I have 2 assumed issues with it, rancid seeds/oils, and texture. I know plain sunflower seeds make me vomit but my stomach can not break down the pieces and they irritate my stomach til I vomit them back up...same seeds can be ground up into a spread/butter and I am fine. I am assuming the "butter" your talking about is Miyokos Vegan Butter? IT could also be a reaction to the cultures, extracts or something else related to it.

If you do find sunflowers etc to still be the issue try using Cashew Butter, Almond Butter or mashed avocado on breads. >.< I have put dairy free butter extract flavoring from LorrAnn or oooflavors in other bases to get a butter flavor since I am allergic to whey.

Diagnosed Issues
Celiac (Gluten Ataxia, and Villi Damage dia. 2014, Villi mostly healed on gluten-free diet 2017 confirmed by scope)
Ulcerative Colitis (Dia, 2017), ADHD, Bipolar, Asperger Syndrome (form of autism)
Allergies Corn, Whey
Sensitivities/Intolerances
Peanuts (resolved 2019), Cellulose Gel, Lactose, Soy, Yeast
Olives (Seems to have resolved or gone mostly away as of Jan, 2017), Sesame (Gone away as of June 2017, still slight Nausea)
Enzyme issues with digesting some foods I have to take Pancreatic Enzymes Since mine does not work right, additional food prep steps also
Low Tolerance for sugars and carbs (Glucose spikes and UC Flares)
Occupation Gluten Free Bakery, Paleo Based Chef/Food Catering

Join eNewsletter