GFreeMO

Brown Or White Rice

Rate this topic

Just wondering which you use more brown or white rice. I was using white but noticed the label had things added to it like vitamins and enrichment and that the brown was one ingredient and a whole grain so I switched to brown. It takes a long time to cook though. Does anyone have any brown rice recipes.

Which is better for us as Celiacs brown or white or are they both good?

Thanks

When whole grain rice is harvested, it is "brown rice." After the hulls (which contain many of the nutrients) are ground off, it becomes "white rice." Those lost nutrients and vitamins are then artificially added back. It would have been better, and more natural, to have just left the husks on the brown rice in the first place.

I know brown rice is better for us but I use white because I have digestion issues and my daughter prefers the white.

Although I like brown and wild rices most folks here in Hawaii who are over 50 seem to mix brown and white. Restaurants are offering it as well now. Diabetics here are told to eat brown and not white.

Just wondering which you use more brown or white rice. I was using white but noticed the label had things added to it like vitamins and enrichment and that the brown was one ingredient and a whole grain so I switched to brown. It takes a long time to cook though. Does anyone have any brown rice recipes.

Which is better for us as Celiacs brown or white or are they both good?

Thanks

I think mixing is a great idea b/c I think the brown has too much fibre for me. I had cramps all night. I never get it with the white rice. Thanks for the suggestion.

If you can digest wild rice this is a delicious chowder recipe.

http://www.chow.com/recipes/29469-mushroom-and-wild-rice-chowder

This is a delicious and extremely simple ginger rice recipe (you can use white, jasmine or basmati).

http://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/ginger-rice

It can be used in pilaf and in rice salads with some dried fruits or fall fruits-cranberries.

I need easy meals so I take cooked brown rice and freeze it in portions. Then, I also take kale and cook it like this http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/bobby-flay/sauteed-kale-recipe/index.html and freeze that too. I also freeze leftover roasted carrots and parsnips that have been cut small dice after roasting. For my meal, I plop the brown rice, still frozen, into a bowl, add some kale and maybe some roasted veg. put another inverted bowl on top for a lid and microwave until warm. I serve it with sausage links or patties.

I also add the portioned, frozen brown rice to soups. Cook the soup first and add the rice at the end or put the defrosted rice in a bowl and ladle the soup on top.

I sometimes use white rice, sometimes 1/2 and 1/2. One tip I picked up on a cooking show, was to soak the brown rice for about an hour before cooking it. When I've done that, it cooks much better in the same amount of time as the white rice. The method is just to add the brown rice quantity (i.e. 1/2 cup) as well as the water to the pan 1 hour or so before you want to actually cook it, then add the white rice and it's amount of liquid when you're ready to cook. Then I stir it together before cooking. I hope that made sense. Works great!