This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

More Progress

alex11602

alex11602 Collaborator

I just wanted to share that I am feeling like I have made alot of progress in the past two weeks. For the last year I have been very nervous about going out (I really only left the house once every 3 months for quite a while.) and pretty afraid of food also so my life kinda felt like it was spiraling out of control. I had been coming here and reading alot and I sort of got the feeling that maybe I could get my life back....thanks to reading everyone's posts especially those of Irishheart, Love2travel, skylark and ravenwoodglass.

Well on Jan. 6th I just decided to go to the library with my husband and then just over a week later I went food shopping with him. I was also able to go out with my sister yesterday for the first time in years (I even able to eat breakfast before I took her to the eye doc.) and we went shopping and it was just a wonderful day. I also only had 4 mini panic attacks and was able to get through them. Plus my dad is taking me to register for my college classes tomorrow.

I know that I still have a very long way to go and going out 3 times in 2 weeks isn't recovery, but I feel that it is a big step in the right direction. Anyway a huge Thank you!!! to everyone!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

SleepyBunny Apprentice

Are you kidding?!?!? That's huge!! I'm so happy for you :) I know we don't know each other but panic attacks are a big deal and can really keep you from living your life. If you were able to go out and get through mini attacks while out I'd say that's a big deal. Congratulations! :) *high five* :D

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I agree that is huge. Keep taking those steps back to a more normal life and with each one it will become easier and easier. You're putting up a good fight and your winning!

alex11602 Collaborator

Thank you so much!

Aly1 Contributor

That's so awesome, you can really start living again!

IrishHeart Veteran

Good for you, sweetie! This is awesome news!

(picture IH clapping!!) :)

As one who suffered inexplicable anxiety from celiac, I can honestly say I do know what it feels like and I do know what a huge triumph it is to be back in control.

There is no need to fear food. There is no need to fear anything.

One day at a time. It's all any of us can do anyway!

You are healing and you are going to be all right! ;)

((hug))

My best,

IH

thleensd Enthusiast

That is great news. Celebrate every victory, no matter the size!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

alex11602 Collaborator

Thank you everyone! I am hoping to go register for college classes today even though they started yesterday...I was ready to leave and I ended up getting myself all worked up and couldn't do it so I will try again today. Hopefully I can make it out the door.

IrishHeart Veteran

Thank you everyone! I am hoping to go register for college classes today even though they started yesterday...I was ready to leave and I ended up getting myself all worked up and couldn't do it so I will try again today. Hopefully I can make it out the door.

Alex,

I trust you are getting some guidance for this anxiety?

You do not have to say if you are not comfortable talking about it, but if you have been gluten-free for a while and still experiencing this kind of paralyzing panic, there could be more at work here than just a gluten effect. Have all your vitamin/mineral levels been checked, for example? thyroid panels done?

Just suggesting, hon. IH

Aly1 Contributor

I agree with the previous poster but also, keep in mind you are exercising new 'muscles'. You have avoided doing things a long time and that is what your body is accustomed to - it can be hard to break the cycle when you are used to reacting to a situation a certain way over and over again. So realize there will be days where you do great and then some days you will fall back a bit - just promise yourself that you will keep trying every day, and there will be more and more successes. You need to build new reactions/thought patterns and that is hard work!

One thing my doc suggested for me - I have anxiety problems in certain specific situations - was to chew on a bit of real valerian root. He says you can find it online. Not capsules or anything like that, but the real root. He says it has natural calming properties and really works. Probably tastes nasty (I'm guessing -haven't tried it yet) but maybe a good thing to try.

Good luck. It's a battle you're waging inside and the only way to win it is keep putting one foot in front of the other!

love2travel Mentor

I just wanted to share that I am feeling like I have made alot of progress in the past two weeks. For the last year I have been very nervous about going out (I really only left the house once every 3 months for quite a while.) and pretty afraid of food also so my life kinda felt like it was spiraling out of control. I had been coming here and reading alot and I sort of got the feeling that maybe I could get my life back....thanks to reading everyone's posts especially those of Irishheart, Love2travel, skylark and ravenwoodglass.

Well on Jan. 6th I just decided to go to the library with my husband and then just over a week later I went food shopping with him. I was also able to go out with my sister yesterday for the first time in years (I even able to eat breakfast before I took her to the eye doc.) and we went shopping and it was just a wonderful day. I also only had 4 mini panic attacks and was able to get through them. Plus my dad is taking me to register for my college classes tomorrow.

I know that I still have a very long way to go and going out 3 times in 2 weeks isn't recovery, but I feel that it is a big step in the right direction. Anyway a huge Thank you!!! to everyone!

A really big WOW. This is exactly what this forum is all about. You cannot know how happy I am that you went out with your sister shopping. That is such great success. When you turn a corner like this then the next thing becomes easier then the next even easier until BANG - you are doing more and more without even thinking about it! You did very well managing those panic attacks. That cannot be easy but you did it and you are OK!

Alex, this has been a turning point in your life and doing what you did could change you forever. Seriously. Your mindset changes and then other aspects of your life change until they all work together to help you resist the temptation of not going out. Once you get healthier and healthier you will see your choices and decisions will follow the healthy path. Trust me - I am speaking from experience.

What you have been doing (and I did) is called Fear Avoidance. My chiro kept telling me I had to snap out of it (not in those words, of course - he was so kind) and gave me handouts to read about FA. I was scared to go out to do anything because I knew it would cause more pain to my back. My husband went on trips to Croatia without me (to do business) as I was too chicken to go. His Mom even went with him twice! When I think about it, that is very sad. I began resenting my MIL because she got to go but I made my (bad) choice. Sure, pain gets worse, but it has not killed me. It never gets beyond a certain point. I manage with it and now I go on and do things without even considering my back and what will happen. I am not afraid of the pain! I now control it and it is W O N D E R F U L ! ! ! :D

It is starting to happen with you. Way to go - it takes a lot of courage but you have found success. Keep it up - honestly, on the path you are on things will get better and better and better. So good that you can LIVE LIFE as you have never lived before.

love2travel Mentor

You CAN and WILL do this. Take a deep breath and just go. Do not think about what could happen in the future. It may, it may not. But you took control over your panic attacks the other day and even had fun! You can conquer your fears. It is extremely liberating and gratifying. Maybe even buy yourself a little something as a reward or do something special for yourself.

alex11602 Collaborator

Alex,

I trust you are getting some guidance for this anxiety?

You do not have to say if you are not comfortable talking about it, but if you have been gluten-free for a while and still experiencing this kind of paralyzing panic, there could be more at work here than just a gluten effect. Have all your vitamin/mineral levels been checked, for example? thyroid panels done?

Just suggesting, hon. IH

I am going to talk to a counselor next Wed. and I haven't had any testing done because I have no insurance although I have wondered if that could be part of the problem. I have been gluten free for 9 1/2 months.

cyberprof Enthusiast

Hang in there Alex. I hope things go well for you today.

BTW, I'm a professor and I teach online college classes (part-time...I'm also a manager.) Many colleges and community colleges have online classes. If you want to learn about online classes, send me a message and I can help you (or anyone else reading this) with finding classes and working toward a degree. Online classes are great if people have issues that interfere with their ability to go to class. It doesn't work with everything (like nursing or med school) but even science labs can be done via online classes.

alex11602 Collaborator

Well I signed up for my classes today!!! All 4 of them are online, I am taking college algebra, comparative religion, child growth & development and health psychology. They will probably be up on Blackboard tomorrow so I will be starting then :)

cyberprof Enthusiast

Well I signed up for my classes today!!! All 4 of them are online, I am taking college algebra, comparative religion, child growth & development and health psychology. They will probably be up on Blackboard tomorrow so I will be starting then :)

Yay for you! I use Blackboard too for my classes. Online classes are da bomb. Good luck and have fun!

IrishHeart Veteran

Fantastic!! Good for you!! :)

While this is a HUGE step for you---I want you to listen to the rest of us who tell you from experience--don't let it prevent you from going OUT though, okay? I know it is easy to stay in where you feel safe, but you need to keep taking those mini-adventures out, too. Okay? Life is best lived outside in the fresh air. There is nothing to fear, sweetie.

Go at your own pace---one day, one step at a time. I am glad you are seeing a professional to assist you with conquering this anxiety. That is a big step, too. You should be very proud of yourself.

Are you taking a good B-complex and vitamin D? If you can't get to the doctor, you can still take the vitamins that most celiacs are deficient in. Low levels of these can often contribute to anxious feelings. Take a good multivitamin as well. Check to make sure they are gluten-free, of course.

Best wishes, hon!! As a former English Professor, I am always very happy to hear someone has decided to resume their college course work!! In all my years, I never met anyone who said they regretted going back to school. ;)

Keep us posted! We are all rooting for you!!

alex11602 Collaborator

I will definitely keep trying to go out since I would love to go to my daughter's dance recital this June and it is about 45 minutes away.

I have not been taking any vitamins because I wasn't sure what to take so I will ask my husband to go with me to the store tomorrow and look at vitamins.

Thank you everyone for the encouragement and the advice.

IrishHeart Veteran

I will definitely keep trying to go out since I would love to go to my daughter's dance recital this June and it is about 45 minutes away.

I have not been taking any vitamins because I wasn't sure what to take so I will ask my husband to go with me to the store tomorrow and look at vitamins.

Thank you everyone for the encouragement and the advice.

Get a good B-complex (50 or 100 mgs)--sublingual is best, but if you can't find one, do not worry-- and some Vitamin D-3 ( 2,000 IUs at least) and a good multivitamin (without iron). That should be sufficient to get you started. Make sure it's gluten-free.

NOW brand makes gluten-free, soy- free and dairy- free ones at reasonable prices but you can look on the board for other brands people recommend. Bluebonnet is one.

Hon, you are sure you are not getting cross-contaminated anywhere, right? Also, consider a probiotic (like Culturelle) if you are not already taking one.

Okay, that should do you!

Best wishes!

alex11602 Collaborator

Get a good B-complex (50 or 100 mgs)--sublingual is best, but if you can't find one, do not worry-- and some Vitamin D-3 ( 2,000 IUs at least) and a good multivitamin (without iron). That should be sufficient to get you started. Make sure it's gluten-free.

NOW brand makes gluten-free ones at reasonable prices but you can look on the board for other brands people recommend. Bluebonnet is one.

Hon, you are sure you are not getting cross-contaminated anywhere, right? Also, consider a probiotic (like Culturelle) if you are not already taking one.

Best wishes!

I will definitely look for vitamins tomorrow.

I don't think that I am getting cross-contaminated although anything is possible. We are a completely gluten free home and also have to stay away from soy, eggs and sweet potatoes.

We usually eat steak, chicken, pork, potatoes, baby carrots, broccoli, lettuce, tomatoes and cucumbers occasionally, different varieties of berries, apples, bananas, cheese, Carolina white rice, once every few months we have Annie Chun pad thai rice noodles or Tinkyada pasta, I use Hunt's canned tomatoes to make my homemade sauce, Blue Diamond almonds, my kids also drink the Blue Diamond almond milk and Yoplait yogurt. My children eat the following things more then I do... rice chex (which I have sometimes), store brand rice cakes that say gluten free and the only ingredient is brown rice, Skippy natural peanut butter, Polaner brand jelly, they sometimes get a Larabar and we get almond flour from Nutsonline once in a while. As far as spices I have Morton salt, Badia rosemary, Badia chopped onions and pretty much everything else is Mccormick. Ketchup is Simply Heinz and other baking ingredients like baking soda and honey are usually store brand. We also use canola oil in our occasional baking which is Wesson brand and our extra virgin olive oil is Carapelli. Every couple months we will get a bag of Nestle dark chocolate chips to eat also.

Sorry that was all over the place, I was just trying to think of the things that we have in the house and that we have been eating.

Aly1 Contributor

How exciting! Good for you.

IrishHeart Veteran

I will definitely look for vitamins tomorrow.

I don't think that I am getting cross-contaminated although anything is possible. We are a completely gluten free home and also have to stay away from soy, eggs and sweet potatoes.

Sounds a lot like what we eat in our house. :) I can't "do soy" either, but sweet potatoes are a staple. Eggs do not like me much, but I find I can eat them baked IN things. :huh:

Well, kiddo, sounds as if you have all your bases covered.

Hopefully, the vitamins and probiotics will help. Anything that restores the gut lining and boosts the vitamin levels that were impacted by malabsorption can't hurt, that's for sure.

Best wishes to you :) and keep us posted! Whether I was a student or the teacher, the beginning of a new semester was always exciting and full of hope. Enjoy it!

I am so happy for you and your progress!

IH

Bubba's Mom Enthusiast

I'm SO happy for you Alex! I went through the anxiety and panic attacks years ago. Just the thought of leaving the house would give me an attack.

At first I did best with a "safe" person with me. Each time I went out for a bit and had success I gained more confidence that everything would be OK. I finally went on a mild medication and the panic attacks stopped.

I'm thrilled that were able to get online classes so you can move forward with that. :D

I think you said you have problems with soy? Rice Chex contain Vitamin E (mixed tocopherols) which can be made from soy. I can't eat them without getting symptoms.

The Corn Chex don't have that added and I don't get a reaction from them.

When you are looking for multi-vitamins, fish oil, D3 oil capsules, be aware that many contain soy oil.

I even found it hiding in my calcium with D combo listed as ergocalciferol. (It's made from soy)

It took me a while to find supplements that had no soy.

Rather than go to the store I looked online (at Vitacost..there are others), a large online retailer. They list all ingredients in every brand. You can ferret out the safe brands and look up any additive in them that you're unsure of. You can then go to a local store to get them or order online.

• 2 weeks later...
alex11602 Collaborator

I think you said you have problems with soy? Rice Chex contain Vitamin E (mixed tocopherols) which can be made from soy. I can't eat them without getting symptoms.

The Corn Chex don't have that added and I don't get a reaction from them.

I'm actually not sure if I personally have problems with soy and I don't eat the rice chex, my two girls do. Although that worries me a little bit since we cut out soy after my daughter was in the hospital with intestinal bleeding. Sometimes it's really hard when the kid can't tell you what's bothering her...she is two and talks some, but it's like pulling teeth to get her to answer anything (since she doesn't hear everything she doesn't always know how to answer us).

alex11602 Collaborator

NOW brand makes gluten-free, soy- free and dairy- free ones at reasonable prices but you can look on the board for other brands people recommend. Bluebonnet is one.

Best wishes!

I couldn't find the NOW brand, but my husband just found Nature Made B complex that he is getting for me and I will start taking it this week. I am going to Rite Aid later this week and will look for D3 and I believe they carry the Culturelle also.

My girls got health insurance this past week, but my husband and I were denied so I still can't go to the drs. I really wish I could though since I really want to get my thyroid checked since I feel that it could be a problem. I am always cold, extremely tired, depressed (even though that I learned to push through since I take care of my girls during the day), I feel foggy, my skin is so dry, get shaky, my hair sometimes comes out in clumps, I get lightheaded easily, my body is sore, joints in my fingers and toes feel swollen at times, have issues using the bathroom and my cycle is horrible, but the strange part is I will have days here and there where I feel the exact opposite...on those days I get hot, am wide awake, even hyper but a bit irritable(drs diagnosed me as bipolar a few years ago because of this) and have to use the bathroom alot.

I just want to be normal!!! Well, maybe I shouldn't say normal, but more functional is what I really want.

Archived