This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

More Progress

alex11602

IrishHeart Veteran

I couldn't find the NOW brand, but my husband just found Nature Made B complex that he is getting for me and I will start taking it this week. I am going to Rite Aid later this week and will look for D3 and I believe they carry the Culturelle also.

My girls got health insurance this past week, but my husband and I were denied so I still can't go to the drs. I really wish I could though since I really want to get my thyroid checked since I feel that it could be a problem. I am always cold, extremely tired, depressed (even though that I learned to push through since I take care of my girls during the day), I feel foggy, my skin is so dry, get shaky, my hair sometimes comes out in clumps, have issues using the bathroom and my cycle is horrible, but the strange part is I will have days here and there where I feel the exact opposite...on those days I get hot, am wide awake, even hyper but a bit irritable(drs diagnosed me as bipolar a few years ago because of this) and have to use the bathroom alot.

I just want to be normal!!! Well, maybe I shouldn't say normal, but more functional is what I really want.

Some people on here were told they were bipolar and as it turns out, they were NOT. Gluten and malabsorption from celiac can cause a multitude of problems hon. I was so overwrought from it, I thought sure I was going to lose my freakin mind. But, I still have it. :)

I am concerned that you are not having more good days than bad

days and have what sound like swinging thyroid symptoms--but again, these can resolve on a gluten-free diet. (Mine did --and I was put on thyroid meds for no good reason, which caused MORE problems--I was swinging hyper or hypo all the time--but that is another long story)

But that was MY experience.

Try the Culturelle (get the DAIRY FREE one), VIT D-3 (CHECK the label!) and the B complex. They take a while to "kick in". But if you are POSITIVE you are not getting glutened somehow and your vitamin levels start to balance and you get the gut symptoms under control from the probiotics, you may start to see some improvement in your symptoms.

I do not want to worry you, but if you are really EXHAUSTED (like it feels like you are actually dragging your own legs and arms around) and puffy in the face, always cold and have lost the outer part of your eyebrows--you may well be hypothyroid. You can have hyper symptoms too--as you describe. And if so, you need to be treated with meds. (It's called Hashimoto's thyroiditis)

I know you cannot afford testing without insurance, but an undiagnosed thyroid disease is not a good thing and if you are still feeling really bad ALL THE TIME in the coming weeks, (not occasionally--because that may just be because you are still healing--a few of us still have yucky days) you may need to see a doctor. You should not let this go.

In my humble opinion.

Keep us posted on your progress!

How is the course work going? :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Skylark Collaborator

You have every symptom of Hashimoto's thyroid disease in the book, including the hyperthyroid periods. People with Hashimoto's are often misdiagnosed as bipolar. The hyper- periods happen when your thyroid gets inflamed from the autoimmunity.

Basic thyroid testing is not expensive at all and you might be able to order it through this service. Here is a basic panel for $42.50. This service is for real and goes through the same diagnostic labs your Dr. uses like Quest and Labcorp. If you get the test and post results, we can help you interpret it.

Open Original Shared Link

This nice $125 panel would also tell you if you have Hashimoto's antibodies, called anti-TPO. If you can afford it, it's the one I would recommend.

Open Original Shared Link

If the TSH comes out high, and especially if you have anti-TPO antibodies, you can see whether you can afford a Dr. visit and probably at least one followup. Thyroid pills are dirt cheap if you can find the Mylan brand generic, which is gluten-free. They are under $10/month with a drugstore prescription plan.

IrishHeart Veteran

Looks like Skylark and I were posting at the same time. :)

Also looks like we have the same opinion regarding the thyroid.

I see she has found you some inexpensive testing. Fantastic! Skylark comes through again! :)

alex11602 Collaborator

Thank you both of you. I will see what I can rearrange financially to get tested because I am very tired of feeling this way. And it does feel like I'm dragging around a huge bag full of bricks alot of the time.

When I am home with the girls I make sure they are taken care of, homeschool my daughter and work on my schoolwork, but that is about it. On the plus side my schoolwork is going pretty well, I am having some trouble with college algebra since it has been 8 years since I have done it, thank you for asking IrishHeart.

As far as the good days and bad days, I am a million times better then I was a year ago when I was still eating gluten. There is really no more stomach pain or bloating (only the occasional which I think is normal) and when I was eating gluten I was in the bathroom all the time which doesn't happen often anymore and like I said there isn't pain when it does happen so even with all the other issues I still consider those days to be pretty good.

josh052980 Enthusiast

Great progress! I'm glad you're getting better. Keep it up, and keep letting us know how you're doing!

alex11602 Collaborator

Thank you Josh!

• 1 month later...
alex11602 Collaborator

Two months ago when I started this thread I was feeling so hopeful about everything, it's funny how much things can change in that amount of time.

We have been gluten free, soy free, etc for over a year and I have been pretty much sugar free for almost 6 months and now I am having trouble with it. I think more the sugar since I can't really even eat fruit and I can try to adapt most things to gluten free, but it's not that easy with sugar. I'm sorry I just have to vent here because as much as my husband tries he can't understand why I cry because I can't just happily munch away on fruit or something like that. I am tired of thinking of everything that I put in my mouth because I just want to be able to focus on not being so so tired. I want to be able to just focus on my classes (which somehow I am passing thankfully) and to focus on my children.

Which is a whole other point right now, I think I am so upset and having to worry about my food since I am so worried about my daughter. She has to go to an ENT tomorrow because she has a perforated ear drum in the ear that her hearing is already bad (if I'm not mistaken her hearing in her left ear was only at 50% and only 75% in her right ear at 6 months and the audiologist said it would most likely worsen), she doesn't respond to us talking if she can't see us unless we yell and she keeps asking us to turn things up. I am worried about her, she is only 2 and has already had to go through so much. And I have to try and hold it together because my husband just says that she already knows some sign language (we found out about her hearing deficit originally when she was 6 months old), but it's not the point I want my daughter to be able to hear me say that I love her and that I am proud of her. Then there is my younger daughter who is so upset about her sister because she is the one her perforated her ear drum. She wanted to play doctor since she wants to be a pediatrician and put the thermometer (one of the underarm ones) in the ear to check the patients temp so she feels guilty for doing it and I feel guilty because I was in the shower when it happened.

I'm sorry about venting about this on here, but I'm just tired of everything right now and my husband just isn't getting it.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Bubba's Mom Enthusiast

Two months ago when I started this thread I was feeling so hopeful about everything, it's funny how much things can change in that amount of time.

We have been gluten free, soy free, etc for over a year and I have been pretty much sugar free for almost 6 months and now I am having trouble with it. I think more the sugar since I can't really even eat fruit and I can try to adapt most things to gluten free, but it's not that easy with sugar. I'm sorry I just have to vent here because as much as my husband tries he can't understand why I cry because I can't just happily munch away on fruit or something like that. I am tired of thinking of everything that I put in my mouth because I just want to be able to focus on not being so so tired. I want to be able to just focus on my classes (which somehow I am passing thankfully) and to focus on my children.

Which is a whole other point right now, I think I am so upset and having to worry about my food since I am so worried about my daughter. She has to go to an ENT tomorrow because she has a perforated ear drum in the ear that her hearing is already bad (if I'm not mistaken her hearing in her left ear was only at 50% and only 75% in her right ear at 6 months and the audiologist said it would most likely worsen), she doesn't respond to us talking if she can't see us unless we yell and she keeps asking us to turn things up. I am worried about her, she is only 2 and has already had to go through so much. And I have to try and hold it together because my husband just says that she already knows some sign language (we found out about her hearing deficit originally when she was 6 months old), but it's not the point I want my daughter to be able to hear me say that I love her and that I am proud of her. Then there is my younger daughter who is so upset about her sister because she is the one her perforated her ear drum. She wanted to play doctor since she wants to be a pediatrician and put the thermometer (one of the underarm ones) in the ear to check the patients temp so she feels guilty for doing it and I feel guilty because I was in the shower when it happened.

I'm sorry about venting about this on here, but I'm just tired of everything right now and my husband just isn't getting it.

The food restrictions get old don't they? My hubby can't understand why I feel so sad when I see him sitting there munching away on chocolate, or other things I can't have, You have it even worse than me, because I can have sugars, just not anything with soy. People who haven't been through it, just can't understand it. They just can't relate.

The added stress of worrying about your daughter is hard too. Perforated ear drums heal don't they?

I hope this is just a passing thing that gets better for her. These accidents happen. Don't feel guilty. We just can't watch our kids 24/7..and would never think to warn our kids against doing something like that.

As time goes on..if your daughter's hearing worsens..don't ever doubt that she'll know you love her. or are proud of her. There will always be a way to say it.

(((hugs)))

alex11602 Collaborator

The food restrictions get old don't they? My hubby can't understand why I feel so sad when I see him sitting there munching away on chocolate, or other things I can't have, You have it even worse than me, because I can have sugars, just not anything with soy. People who haven't been through it, just can't understand it. They just can't relate.

The added stress of worrying about your daughter is hard too. Perforated ear drums heal don't they?

I hope this is just a passing thing that gets better for her. These accidents happen. Don't feel guilty. We just can't watch our kids 24/7..and would never think to warn our kids against doing something like that.

As time goes on..if your daughter's hearing worsens..don't ever doubt that she'll know you love her. or are proud of her. There will always be a way to say it.

(((hugs)))

Thank you! Perforated ear drums do usually heal with no intervention unless there is an infection, which kind of scares me since she hasn't had antibiotics since she was in the hospital after being born. The concern with her is that the audiologist said that her hearing would continue to deteriorate until she would probably need hearing aids as a teenager and I'm just afraid that this is going to speed everything up. I don't even want to have to think about food when I have my 2 year asking me to turn the music up because she thinks it's not on (the stereo was at 25, the highest is 35) and I am too darn anxious (and have been since going gluten free) to even go with her to the doctor and I should be there. I'm sorry, she is on her way there now and I am really worried.

Skylark Collaborator

The hearing loss doesn't sound like something you would realistically stop. The perforation may have sped the hearing loss up but you can't be second-guessing that sort of thing. You will drive yourself crazy.

It almost sounds like you need some support from someone who knows about deafness. You might get some help coping with the stress and guilt, and I bet you'd like some help planning the best things to do for your daughter. (i.e. should she learn to sign, should YOU learn to sign, how much is she relying on lip reading, does she need speech therapy?)

alex11602 Collaborator

The hearing loss doesn't sound like something you would realistically stop. The perforation may have sped the hearing loss up but you can't be second-guessing that sort of thing. You will drive yourself crazy.

It almost sounds like you need some support from someone who knows about deafness. You might get some help coping with the stress and guilt, and I bet you'd like some help planning the best things to do for your daughter. (i.e. should she learn to sign, should YOU learn to sign, how much is she relying on lip reading, does she need speech therapy?)

I guess I really should try to stop stressing about things that I can't control. I had an appointment to go to counseling to deal with the stress and anxiety, but I got extremely anxious about it and we cancelled. My two daughters and I started learning to sign using Signing Time about 2 years ago when the youngest was 6 months old and we found out about her hearing. My husband sort of tried, but didn't think it was that big of a deal and no one else in the family has even attempted to learn. I talk with my hands to her all the time even when I'm not constantly signing and I realized that those are the things she responds to because if she isn't looking at you when you talk to her in a normal voice you might as well be talking to a brick wall. After her appointment today I am going to call Early Intervention because they told me that if she has a doctor that evaluated her then they just need a letter and it shortens the evaluation process.

Skylark Collaborator

I'm really glad to hear you're going to Early Intervention. It sounds like the Signing Time was a great idea. Remember that if you and your daughter can sign some you can always tell her how much you love her, even across a crowded room!

I'm not sure what you were so anxious about with the counseling but the counselors I've gone to have been super-nice people. They really want to help and they can be very compassionate. I dealt with anxiety up until I got off gluten, and counselors provided a lot of help along the way. I'd encourage you to make another appointment and keep it this time around. :)

alex11602 Collaborator

I'm really glad to hear you're going to Early Intervention. It sounds like the Signing Time was a great idea. Remember that if you and your daughter can sign some you can always tell her how much you love her, even across a crowded room!

I'm not sure what you were so anxious about with the counseling but the counselors I've gone to have been super-nice people. They really want to help and they can be very compassionate. I dealt with anxiety up until I got off gluten, and counselors provided a lot of help along the way. I'd encourage you to make another appointment and keep it this time around. :)

I have had some bad experiences with counselers, they tend to look down on you when you cut yourself.

My husband is on his way back from the doctor with my daughter so he called me and she is ok, no infection or anything.

Skylark Collaborator

I have had some bad experiences with counselers, they tend to look down on you when you cut yourself.

My husband is on his way back from the doctor with my daughter so he called me and she is ok, no infection or anything.

That's great news about your daughter. I'm glad to hear she is well.

I'm NOT happy to hear that you have had bad experiences with counselors. What a miserable deal, to be that stressed out and have a counselor look down on you. Geez. Well, keep coming here and we'll do our best to support you!

alex11602 Collaborator

That's great news about your daughter. I'm glad to hear she is well.

I'm NOT happy to hear that you have had bad experiences with counselors. What a miserable deal, to be that stressed out and have a counselor look down on you. Geez. Well, keep coming here and we'll do our best to support you!

Thank you Skylark :)

cyberprof Enthusiast

Thank you Skylark :)

It can be hard to find a good counselor if you're stressed from prior experiences. Try getting a referral from a friend/family member that you trust or your doctor or your daughter's doctor. Hang in there!

Bubba's Mom Enthusiast

I guess I really should try to stop stressing about things that I can't control. I had an appointment to go to counseling to deal with the stress and anxiety, but I got extremely anxious about it and we cancelled. My two daughters and I started learning to sign using Signing Time about 2 years ago when the youngest was 6 months old and we found out about her hearing. My husband sort of tried, but didn't think it was that big of a deal and no one else in the family has even attempted to learn. I talk with my hands to her all the time even when I'm not constantly signing and I realized that those are the things she responds to because if she isn't looking at you when you talk to her in a normal voice you might as well be talking to a brick wall. After her appointment today I am going to call Early Intervention because they told me that if she has a doctor that evaluated her then they just need a letter and it shortens the evaluation process.

Learning not to worry about things you can't control is really hard. Some of us seem to be hard wired with a "worry gene"?

You have such a full plate right now! Even so, you've taken steps in the right direction towards helping your daughter, and at the same time steps towards working through your own health issues...while taking classes and being a parent? It boggles my mind! :blink:

I'm happy to know it looks like there's no infection and your daughter's ear will heal. Getting early intervention will help a lot too.

Counseling would be beneficial with all that's going on I think? Maybe you could find a counselor through the hearing loss intervention people?

A good counselor should be non-judgemental. I'm so sorry you've had bad experiences in the past. Some counselors don't understand that self-hurting behavior is caused by a deep pain inside that doesn't make sense to the sufferer. Cutting (or self harm) gives almost a sense of relief, because you can see the cut and know there's a reason for the pain. There's also a sort of endorphin release from it?

That's not your issue now, so maybe you won't even have to bring it up..unless you're getting those feelings again?

More hugs coming your way...

(((hugs)))

Ninja Contributor

Hi Alex

Archived