rarmama

Abdominal Pain Now Worse After Going Gluten-Free?

Rate this topic

I've been gluten free for almost 3 weeks, and feel much better in general than I have in months. But for some reason the past few days, my abdominal pain has gotten worse! Or maybe just getting off gluten turned off all the other "noise" in my body, so I just notice it more? Could it be detox? Maybe it is something else, I don't know. Ugh, I just want to find out what this is, and start feeling better!

Are you eating oats? Gluten free oats? That was my source of stomach pain after going gluten free. I was eating a lot of gluten-free oatmeal the first week because it was easy....it was causing a lot of stomach pain!

Sometimes as the body settles down from fighting gluten it can react to other foods. Keep a log of everything that you eat. Note any symptoms you feel. Many reactions are delayed. The log will help to figure it out.

If you have damaged villi, you are probably not producing enough of the enzyme to digest lactose in milk, sour cream, and ice cream. Cheeses and yogurt don't contain lactose. It has been "processed out". Just be aware that milk products *could* be a problem until you've healed a bit?

I had a problem recently with, beleive it not, quinoa. Horrible stomach pains. I knew it was the quinoa because my diet the rest of that day was pristene. After a little research here on the board, I found a thread that discussed something in quinoa called saponins, the coating that is supposed to get washed off when the quinoa grains are soaked. Even a trace can be an irritant to a sensitive digestive tract. Stopped quinoa and no problem since (other than one less thing in the house to eat).

I've been avoiding dairy too, because I'm trying to get rid of persistent yeast, and I haven't had any oats...never thought of quinoa! I'll start keeping a food log and see if I can find what's bothering me...thanks!

It's been two and a half weeks of gluten for me. And like you I was/am feeling better. But I have been feeling sicker as the day's go on. I am going to cut our dairy and beef. I really hope that helps as I am really tired of feeling sick. Good luck to you,I have you find what is bothering you soon. :)