pricklypear1971

Schar Ciabatta Parbaked Rolls

Rate this topic

Oh wow. Bread. It tastes like real bread. Texture is PERFECT.

Gluten eaters loved them.

I'm in love. Seriously.

http://www.schar.com/us/gluten-free-products/ciabatta/

We can't get Schar products where I live but do whenever we go to Europe. This is good to know for our next trip. Are they light and airy? Please tell me they are! Do they have a bit of lovely chew?

Yes and yes and yes. You don't know they are gluten-free EXCEPT if they get wet (then they do the gluten texture/crumble/dissolve thing) - just don't take a big bite and a big swig of water.

The texture is unbelievable. I'm not kidding. They do this thing where they wrap the dough around, so some of them have a "pocket". They aren't as airy as gluten ciabatta CAN be, but it is by far the best bread I've had.

The taste is a bit bland - wish it was yeasty but that's easily remedied with a bit of butter.

My son and I fought over the last one. I won.

Yes and yes and yes. You don't know they are gluten-free EXCEPT if they get wet (then they do the gluten texture/crumble/dissolve thing) - just don't take a big bite and a big swig of water.

The texture is unbelievable. I'm not kidding.

The taste is a bit bland - wish it was yeasty but that's easily remedied with a bit of butter.

My son and I fought over the last one. I won.

For sure you are serious? You're not just pulling our legs then a few days later give us the punch line? ;) It sounds amazing! I cannot wait to try them. I can cope with a bland taste by adding something but the texture! Pinch me. Am I dreaming? :D

This is dumb. For some reason my sentences run together without much space between. :angry:

The texture was excellent. I'm not joking. They even felt like a roll when you mashed on the outside.

I couldn't believe it. Seriously. I think the brown n serve thing helps...I didn't try one cold (we ate them all).

I liked their spaghetti, too. Hubs gave it a big thumbs up, also.

The texture was excellent. I'm not joking. They even felt like a roll when you mashed on the outside.

I couldn't believe it. Seriously. I think the brown n serve thing helps...I didn't try one cold (we ate them all).

I liked their spaghetti, too. Hubs gave it a big thumbs up, also.

Man, I am thrilled about this. Do you know how long they keep?

I found them in the freezer at the health food store, and tossed them in my freezer. The date on them (this store puts a date on their products of when they received them) was this month.

The package says to store at room temp until the best by date (April 13, 2012 in this case). After opening store in fridge for 5 days.

We get Schar and I love them - but serioulsy- its like 10 dollars for a loaf of bread:(

Yes, the only "free" is gluten-free and lactose. Sorry.

My store charged $5.50 for the 4-pack. I have seen the loaves of Schar bread at another store but didn't check the price or buy them.

They are a pricey addiction, but I think I will keep a few bags.

They are startig to carry Schar's at Meijer. It does seem that once Meijer's starts to carry it the price can go down. Some of the products are egg free too.

I had the baguette! We loved it! Now I can't find it here. Have though I could use the rolls instead.

Schar is opening a factory in New York or New Jersey (somewhere around there). Should be more stuff showing up.

I love the Tagliattele (sp?) noodles for chicken noodle. Very thin & slurpy.

I tried their pizza crust and wasn't nuts about it. But I am picky about crust and I think I'll only be happy with a homemade yeast crust I roll out super thin.

I tried their cocoa wafers and they were one million times better than Glutino. they may be usable for fondue - haven't tried it yet.

Glutino wafers aren't food. I put them in the category with that Ener-G bread that will choke a squirrel.

But (*sniff!*), they contain SOY! I'm brokenhearted!

Yup, and that makes me sad too, ROSE!!! :( Hubs liked them a LOT!

Schar products are available in US and Canada

Thanks! I got too lazy to google myself. ;)

Hubby loves them as well, but they always seem to be sold out!

Same thing with the Kinnikinnick (sp?) frozen pie crusts!

I'm almost to the point of ordering on-line just to get them!

I googled Schar and found my local Meat Farms (Long Island, NY) carried it. I'm so excited they are soft and not dense. I won't open till ready to use and then fridge or freeze the rest. I'll report later. But, to my surprise I found that store has a G.F. section. It carries brands that my DH goes to Trader Joe's and Whole Foods for. So excited everyday is a new beginning. Thanks for the tip on Schar.

Cathey

I googled Schar and found my local Meat Farms (Long Island, NY) carried it. I'm so excited they are soft and not dense. I won't open till ready to use and then fridge or freeze the rest. I'll report later. But, to my surprise I found that store has a G.F. section. It carries brands that my DH goes to Trader Joe's and Whole Foods for. So excited everyday is a new beginning. Thanks for the tip on Schar.

Cathey

Can't wait for your review! Soft and good commercial gluten-free bread seems like an oxymoron. Perhaps I will have to order it.

I LOVE those Schar breadsticks, the big soft ones. They're so good with spaghetti and dipped in the sauce too. The Meijer in my city carries a whole bunch of Schar products, and so far I really like them, except I can't eat the loaves of bread anymore as they give me bad shortness of breath which is strange.

May I ask--how does it compare to Against the Grain Gourmet baguettes? Similar? Has anyone tried both products so that you can compare them?

I opened them today and made with pulled pork OMG they are amazing. I've had them for about 2 weeks and just opened today, they are soft not chewy and not overly dense like most gluten-free breads. They have a long shelf life, but try and use within 2 weeks. Finally a bread just like a good gluten hamburger roll. They have the texture of a store brand hamburger bun, not chewy. Thank you so much for the tip.

I picked up Schar shortbread cookies just as amazing, not over crumbly and very buttery. DH picked up there Ladyfingers, a little lemon flavor but had a snap to them with will hold up nicely with espresso for a tiramisu for Valentine Day.

I just bought them for my daughter, and they are really good!

Since we're still new to this, every time I buy something new I try it with her so she doesn't have to feel like a guinea pig. They were pretty good!

I picked up two packs at Meijer. They were on sale for $3.29 a pack, so I took what they had.

She likes them better than any bread I've bought, so I make them for her lunch with a little peanut butter and strawberry yogurt spread (which is gluten free, I found it at Walmart).

May I ask--how does it compare to Against the Grain Gourmet baguettes? Similar? Has anyone tried both products so that you can compare them?

Against the Grain is very crusty (at least the baguette, which is all I've tried). Schar is softer. Like comparing a gourmet French baguette to something you'd make a submarine sandwich from? That makes the Schar sound bad but it isn't. Just softer and denser.