This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Sooo Tired, Hair Loss, No Stamina

ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Okay great minds here maybe you can help. I know I should see a doctor but I have no insurance. I am going to see if I can get a sliding fee scale at a clinic next week if I have the time or energy but it will have to be a real big sliding scale for me to afford it.

I know I am not getting glutened or soyed as I don't have any symptoms of that but I am so very tired all the time. I get enough sleep, a regular 8 hours a night. I know my diet isn't great. I only eat once a day late in the afternoon and a snack before bed but I am not losing weight so I think I am getting enough calories. There is no way I can eat and then leave my house so I don't eat until I am home for the day. I know that isn't ideal but that is the way I have been for 20 or so years now.

My hair is thinning quite a bit. I also have what almost looks like bruising on my neck and the same thing on my cheeks and over my eyebrows. I have tried to research the discoloration but haven't found anything like it on line. My nails have prominent vertical ridges and spots that almost look like wax drippings.

I also am running a subnormal temp at about 97 but I don't feel cold.

By midafternoon I am ready to drop. I only do a volunteer job 3 days a week and I get home at either 1 or 3 or so and I hardly have the energy to even cook anything let alone eat. I haven't had an appetite in years, a side effect of being undiagnosed for so long, like Pavlov's dog in reverse.

My vision gets blurry a lot but it is not all the time so I don't think I need new glasses. My muscles hurt but it is not anything I can't stand.

I tried some stress vitamins but those bound me up for 4 days so they may have had soy even though they said they were gluten and soy free. If anyone knows of a for sure soy and gluten free vitamin with high levels of B and C let me know.

When I get to the doctors it would be good to know what tests I should ask to have done other than the ususal CBC. I do not trust doctors at all and want to have as much info about what tests I might need before I go.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what I should request?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
bartfull Rising Star

It sounds to me like a B-12 and/or biotin deficiency. I have the same ridges and waxy looking white spots on my fingernails. I have the hair falling out and the extreme fatigue too. My doctor wants to test for those vitamins, plus vitamin D. He is also ordering a complete metabolic panel to see what else might be going on.

I told him I started taking vitamins last week, but he agreed that I might not be absorbing the B-12 and biotin. He would like to see me go back on sublinguals for those two if I can only find one with no gluten/corn/coloring/flavoring.

saintmaybe Collaborator

Okay great minds here maybe you can help. I know I should see a doctor but I have no insurance. I am going to see if I can get a sliding fee scale at a clinic next week if I have the time or energy but it will have to be a real big sliding scale for me to afford it.

I know I am not getting glutened or soyed as I don't have any symptoms of that but I am so very tired all the time. I get enough sleep, a regular 8 hours a night. I know my diet isn't great. I only eat once a day late in the afternoon and a snack before bed but I am not losing weight so I think I am getting enough calories. There is no way I can eat and then leave my house so I don't eat until I am home for the day. I know that isn't ideal but that is the way I have been for 20 or so years now.

My hair is thinning quite a bit. I also have what almost looks like bruising on my neck and the same thing on my cheeks and over my eyebrows. I have tried to research the discoloration but haven't found anything like it on line. My nails have prominent vertical ridges and spots that almost look like wax drippings.

By midafternoon I am ready to drop. I only do a volunteer job 3 days a week and I get home at either 1 or 3 or so and I hardly have the energy to even cook anything let alone eat. I haven't had an appetite in years, a side effect of being undiagnosed for so long, like Pavlov's dog in reverse.

My vision gets blurry a lot but it is not all the time so I don't think I need new glasses. My muscles hurt but it is not anything I can't stand.

I tried some stress vitamins but those bound me up for 4 days so they may have had soy even though they said they were gluten and soy free. If anyone knows of a for sure soy and gluten free vitamin with high levels of B and C let me know.

When I get to the doctors it would be good to know what tests I should ask to have done other than the ususal CBC. I do not trust doctors at all and want to have as much info about what tests I might need before I go.

GNC vitamins are great, they have none of the major allergens including gluten, dairy, and soy. I swear by them, but they run in the pricey range. They have different types of formulations, depending on what your problem is. They have hair loss vitamin supplements for sure, a regular woman's 'one a day,' and a bone loss supplement for sure among many others.

I'm on the bone loss formulation, and supplement with extra high potency iron with C, as well as D. I've specifically tested low in those two and tend towards gingivitis and apthous ulcers, hence the extra C supplementation along with needing to make the iron more bioavailable. If I'm feeling very, very tired,I also supplement with extra B. There's an energy drink that GNC sells that was originally formulated for chemo patients, with high levels of B and quercetins. It's amazing, and I'll drink one or two with lunch toget me through the rest of the day. It's called FRS.

The fatigue, for me, has been really slow to resolve. But it IS getting there. I'm down from needing 11 or 12 hours of sleep to a solid 9 or 10. I can't miss a night, otherwise I spend the rest of the week trying to catch up and feeling like crap, even without getting glutened.

As for hair loss, I really had to work to find shampoos and conditioners that I wasn't allergic to. My scalp was getting inflamed from the sulfates and phthalates in cheap commercially available shampoos, irritating my hair follicles and causing my hair to fall out by the root. I finally settled on John Frieda's Root Awakenings shampoo, and Renpure Organics conditioner.

I also use Argan oil as a detangler and leave in conditioner, and have bought Hamadi Shea Leave-In conditioner and spray, which come highly recommended in gluten free circles elsewhere. Everything but the Hamadi is available at CVS.

Since switching, it was like an overnight change. I hardly lose any hair, hardly have any hair breakage. My scalp hardly itches at all. My hair is so soft, and pretty. I've never had hair like this in my life! I can't wait to see what it looks like when it grows out.

I hope you feel better soon!

IrishHeart Veteran

Raven, my friend,

I am sorry to hear you are flagging and I wonder what happened ---as you always seem to be doing so well.

My first thought was "what have you changed in your diet?" but

you answered that. I do not think you are getting enough nutrition--eating only once a day. IMHO

You could have several vitamin B deficiencies.

FOLATE (B9)-- for starters-- will cause that horrible fatigue, hair loss and lack of appetite.

Nail ridges are also a symptom of an iron deficiency.

May be a Vit C of D def too. (but I know you are good about supplementing)

(BTW, my "normal temp" is 96.5, :blink: so I am not sure if that means much. Some speculate people with thyroid issues have low temps)

I would request a CBC, CMP (metabolic profile) and a TSH (with free T4 and T3 if they will do it) and B-12 and Folate. Those are the most impacted from celiac.

As we are both serio-negative, I imagine it would be useless to do that test at this point, but your symptoms seem so much like mine BEFORE DX that I am wondering why on earth you have them NOW--since you have adhered to the gluten-free diet for so long.

NOW brand vitamins are gluten-free, Soy -free --and mostly everything else free--- at reasonable prices.

Good luck, honey and I hope you feel better soon!

Please let us know how you make out. You are always so good to all of us on here and I am hoping you rebound quickly.

My best, IH

cahill Collaborator
it would be good to know what tests I should ask to have done other than the ususal CBC. I do not trust doctors at all and want to have as much info about what tests I might need before I go.

If you have not had , or have not had recently, I would ask for:

an ANA

a FULL thyroid panel= TG AB and TPO AB (these are for Thyroid autoantibodies ) ,T3,T4,free T3 and a TSH

Vitamin D

Vitamin B

a CBC and CMP

I know these test can be expensive but with your symptoms I would ask for them.

Have you ever had trouble with your blood sugar? That may be something to check also.

(( HUGS)) I hope you feel better soon :)

cahill Collaborator

Raven, my friend,

I am sorry to hear you are flagging and I wonder what happened ---as you always seem to be doing so well.

My first thought was "what have you changed in your diet?" but

you answered that. I do not think you are getting enough nutrition--eating only once a day. IMHO

You could have several vitamin B deficiencies.

FOLATE (B9)-- for starters-- will cause that horrible fatigue, hair loss and lack of appetite.

Nail ridges are also a symptom of an iron deficiency.

May be a Vit C of D def too. (but I know you are good about supplementing)

(BTW, my "normal temp" is 96.5, :blink: so I am not sure if that means much. Some speculate people with thyroid issues have low temps)

I would request a CBC, CMP (metabolic profile) and a TSH (with free T4 and T3 if they will do it) and B-12 and Folate. Those are the most impacted from celiac.

As we are both serio-negative, I imagine it would be useless to do that test at this point, but your symptoms seem so much like mine BEFORE DX that I am wondering why on earth you have them NOW--since you have adhered to the gluten-free diet for so long.

NOW brand vitamins are gluten-free, Soy -free --and mostly everything else free--- at reasonable prices.

Good luck, honey and I hope you feel better soon!

Please let us know how you make out. You are always so good to all of us on here and I am hoping you rebound quickly.

My best, IH

Great minds DO think alike :D

MurderToWheat Newbie

I'm sorry you're going through this. The only thing that comes to mind is B vitamin deficiency, specifically B12, as others have brought up

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

IrishHeart Veteran

Great minds DO think alike :D

We did another one of those cool simultaneous posts!! :)

Hi Chill!

cahill Collaborator

We did another one of those cool simultaneous posts!! :)

Hi Chill!

Hi IH :D

revenant Enthusiast

Hmm I have chornic fatigue from candida overgrowth. Blood sugar swings could cause blurry vision. I wonder if sugar problem may be a part of it? Sugar has a strong relationship to energy production. And like many have recommended, to get your vitamin and mineral levels checked (and if you do it at a normal blood lab, ask to see the papers). It seems like a lot of symptoms, I advise that you go see a good naturopath!

Marilyn R Community Regular

Dear Ravenwood,

I think Solar brand vitamins are pure. I get the "Vitamins Only" at a local health food store. They've been in business since 1947. I take two other supplements: Citracal (I wrote to the mfg,, it's supposed to be safe but could have trace soy ingredients. Lasty, I take D vitamin drops by Carlson. I think I overdosed myself on vitamin D3 last month once and felt like crap, it couldn't be related to a food issue.

I so hope you find our what's bugging you.

PS, I've missed your posts. I learned more from you than anyone!

Sending you cyber hugs (((())))) and best wishes!

You've had great advice so far. I think "D" is a separate blood tesst from CBC, maybe ask them to check your Vitamin D? Wish you well, sending you very best wishes.

Lisa Mentor

Raven, face "shadowing" (not sure if that's what it's called) can be a sign of hormonal imbalance....or it was with me. It gradually faded away.

Hope you get some answers. :)

rosetapper23 Explorer

Hmmmm....your symptoms do possibly indicate nutritional deficiencies. Vitamin D deficiency can cause blurred vision (actually seems like myopia), magnesium deficiency can cause hypothermia and muscle pain, iodine deficiency can cause low basal body temperature, Vitamin A deficiency can cause hairloss and hyperkeratosis (darkening of the skin), and zinc deficiency can cause blurred vision and hairloss. I also agree that you might need a really good B vitamin complex. A number of us here on the Forum take a co-enzyme B complex vitamin--I take more than the directions say because I seem to have difficulty absorbing B vitamins.

Personally, when my vision was blurred and my hair was falling out, it turned out to be a zinc deficiency. However, your case might be different.

AVR1962 Collaborator

Only one meal a day will cause your metabolism to drop off, body will go into preserve mode. If you having troubles with hair loss, vision and nails it is very possible your body is not getting the proper amount of nutrients. If you can, try to eat a little something every 3-4 hours even if it is a piece of fruit to keep that metabolism up. Make sure your daily calories intake is no lees that 1200.

Here is a chart that will help link some of your issues to vitamins that can help. Open Original Shared Link

The one thing I did that worked for me, not listed on the chart, was taking cod liver oil for my vision problems. Zinc and Biosil drops (biotin) for my hair loss.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Thank you everyone for your replies. I have copied down the tests and appretiated your listing them.

I had melasma (sp) when I was pregnant and that was a darkening of my skin on my face. I think they call it the 'mask of pregnancy' and the skin thing is not like that. It is more a reddening like a sunburn or bruising. I also have a circular spot or two on my wrists that have been there forever.

The only vitamins I take at present are D3 with K, which seemed to help the bruisy a rash a bit but not a lot. I will go back to taking my B12 subs which I stopped a couple of years ago when my levels came back very high.

My local health food store carries NOW brand but I couldn't find the stress level Bs and Cs so I will go tommorrow and ask the folks there if they make one or what combo to take. They do also carry the Solgar but I haven't tried those. They are good about calling companies for me so I will have them double check the soy and gluten statis of those if it isn't on the label.

I have wondered at times about Lupus and I think the ANA is the test for that so thank you to the folks that mentioned that as I couldn't think of what that was. Can you get false negatives on that? If so would biopsies of the redder skin show anything up?

I will also check on the blood sugar but if I have to eat multiple times I day I don't know how I would be able to leave the house without increasing my anxiety meds, which I don't really want to do. I eat probably about 750 to 900 calories a day now and am not losing weight but my volunteer work is pretty active so if I were to eat like most folks do I would likely have to get new clothes every month or so. LOL

Hopefully the doctor at the clinic here will at least do some testing. I was pegged as a malingerer or a drug seeker during all my years of misdiagnosis and don't trust doctors as far as I could throw them but maybe since I haven't been to any in so long they might listen to me now.

Thanks again for all the replies. At least I can go in with a written list since my doctor phobia wipes my brain when I get in front of them.

dilettantesteph Collaborator

I believe that I get different symptoms from low level cc than higher level cc, so that is something to consider.

It is now winter so there is vitamin D deficiency to consider. I'm not sure if someone else mentioned it or not.

I also don't eat when I'm out. Neither does my son by his own choice. I've gone from 7 a.m. till 6 p.m. without eating and was just fine. I work on my feet and drove home. It's funny because before diagnosis I had terrible blood sugar problems and never could have done it. Now it really isn't a big deal.

Kansas Rookie

Hey...you are my "go to gal" when I need advice, so I hate you not feeling well! I would guess vitamin deficiency and the fact that your body needs food more often than when you are eating. Your body is going way too long between bedtime snack and dinner the next day. Is there anyway you could drink Ensure or make a nutritional something for breakfast? Maybe nibble at something through the day that wouldn't upset your system? I am gluten, soy and dairy free and I take Nature Made Vitamins, be sure and read label as some do contain soy. I also have learned that I can only stay healhty if I do unprocessed foods, so many on here say they can drink pop, eat chips, candy, condiments,etc., I react to all of them. I know you know all of that, so it is a puzzle! Please know you are in my thoughts and prayers.

IrishHeart Veteran

I have wondered at times about Lupus and I think the ANA is the test for that so thank you to the folks that mentioned that as I couldn't think of what that was. Can you get false negatives on that? If so would biopsies of the redder skin show anything up?

Raven,

The Lupus Foundation states:

"If the ANA test comes back negative it is considered a normal result, and it is very good evidence against lupus as an explanation for the symptoms.

What does a positive ANA mean? Unlike a pregnancy test, which if positive generally means only one thing, a positive ANA can mean many things. There are many illnesses and conditions associated with a positive ANA, including rheumatoid arthritis, Sjogren's syndrome, scleroderma, and lupus, as well as infectious diseases such as mononucleosis, subacute bacterial endocarditis, and autoimmune thyroid and liver disease.

Certain medications can cause a positive ANA, and many healthy people with no associated illness or condition have a positive ANA. In fact, about 5% of the general population will have a positive ANA. "

I do not think there are false negatives on that one and I do not believe they biopsy skin for that condition. Maybe someone else knows more.

Hon, I gave your symptoms some more thought because I am worried about you and IMHO, I honestly think you need more nutrition and protein throughout the day and a vitamin boost. But certainly, you need to be checked out. I share your "enthusiasm" for doctors :rolleyes: --as you well know--but unfortunately, we need them to run tests.

Another test to ask for is SED RATE. It shows inflammation in the body, just as the ANA test does.

Thyroiditis is my first thought, however. Hair loss and fatigue are often signs.

Let us know. You are in my thoughts! IH

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Raven,

The Lupus Foundation states:

"If the ANA test comes back negative it is considered a normal result, and it is very good evidence against lupus as an explanation for the symptoms.

What does a positive ANA mean? Unlike a pregnancy test, which if positive generally means only one thing, a positive ANA can mean many things. There are many illnesses and conditions associated with a positive ANA, including rheumatoid arthritis, Sjogren's syndrome, scleroderma, and lupus, as well as infectious diseases such as mononucleosis, subacute bacterial endocarditis, and autoimmune thyroid and liver disease.

Certain medications can cause a positive ANA, and many healthy people with no associated illness or condition have a positive ANA. In fact, about 5% of the general population will have a positive ANA. "

I do not think there are false negatives on that one and I do not believe they biopsy skin for that condition. Maybe someone else knows more.

Hon, I gave your symptoms some more thought because I am worried about you and IMHO, I honestly think you need more nutrition and protein throughout the day and a vitamin boost. But certainly, you need to be checked out. I share your "enthusiasm" for doctors :rolleyes: --as you well know--but unfortunately, we need them to run tests.

Another test to ask for is SED RATE. It shows inflammation in the body, just as the ANA test does.

Thyroiditis is my first thought, however. Hair loss and fatigue are often signs.

Let us know. You are in my thoughts! IH

Thanks for the info. I do have to agree that you and the others are most likely right about the nutrition issue. I am going to make a trip to the health food store tommorrow and get some other supplements. I suppose I should also start following my own advice and do more cooking on the days that I do have the time so that I don't end up just making a pnut butter sandwich and then falling into my chair and forgetting to eat anything else. :ph34r:

Thanks again everyone for the testing info. I will be contacting the clinic tommorrow and see what I can do about testing. If I can't get it in my city I should be able to get the hospital I was going to before to okay me for the sliding fee scale for at least the testing although I don't think they have a general clinic.

Bubba's Mom Enthusiast

Raven..I just wanted to say I hope they can figure out what's going on with you. We dearly love you and my heart breaks at the thought you aren't feeling well.

It does seem to me that you aren't taking in enough calories, and as a result it's very likely you are low in some nutrients? You need to take in "fuel" or you'll be running on empty and feel tired. Eating most of your food in one or two doses can wreak havok on your blood sugar too.

I totally understand the going without eating. I have been guilty of it myself, but we need to eat more frequently.

(((best wishes and lots of hugs)))

AVR1962 Collaborator

Thank you everyone for your replies. I have copied down the tests and appretiated your listing them.

I had melasma (sp) when I was pregnant and that was a darkening of my skin on my face. I think they call it the 'mask of pregnancy' and the skin thing is not like that. It is more a reddening like a sunburn or bruising. I also have a circular spot or two on my wrists that have been there forever.

The only vitamins I take at present are D3 with K, which seemed to help the bruisy a rash a bit but not a lot. I will go back to taking my B12 subs which I stopped a couple of years ago when my levels came back very high.

My local health food store carries NOW brand but I couldn't find the stress level Bs and Cs so I will go tommorrow and ask the folks there if they make one or what combo to take. They do also carry the Solgar but I haven't tried those. They are good about calling companies for me so I will have them double check the soy and gluten statis of those if it isn't on the label.

I will also check on the blood sugar but if I have to eat multiple times I day I don't know how I would be able to leave the house without increasing my anxiety meds, which I don't really want to do. I eat probably about 750 to 900 calories a day now and am not losing weight but my volunteer work is pretty active so if I were to eat like most folks do I would likely have to get new clothes every month or so. LOL

Hopefully the doctor at the clinic here will at least do some testing. I was pegged as a malingerer or a drug seeker during all my years of misdiagnosis and don't trust doctors as far as I could throw them but maybe since I haven't been to any in so long they might listen to me now.

Thanks again for all the replies. At least I can go in with a written list since my doctor phobia wipes my brain when I get in front of them.

Have you had your thyroid tested?

Gemini Experienced

Every single one of your symptoms screams of very low thyroid....had all of them at one time or another myself. I doubt it's a vitamin deficiency. Have a full thyroid panel done because you need thyroid hormone! You also need health insurance because you have many symptoms that cannot be ignored. :(

If you go to the ER, you cannot be turned away.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Every single one of your symptoms screams of very low thyroid....had all of them at one time or another myself. I doubt it's a vitamin deficiency. Have a full thyroid panel done because you need thyroid hormone! You also need health insurance because you have many symptoms that cannot be ignored. :(

If you go to the ER, you cannot be turned away.

Yea thyroid seems to be the general idea from folks. Can you have false negatives on the thyroid testing? I had some thyroid testing a couple years ago that came back fine but things do change. Could my long term, 9years, of iodine avoidance have caused thyroid damage? If so would my adding more iodized salt back in help? I did start using iodized salt a couple weeks ago but likely could and should have done so a couple years after diagnosis.

Insurance is out of the question right now. I have a little too much money coming in for Medicaid but after my divorce I discovered paying out of pocket for it would take 3/4 of the money I have a month to live off of. I know I am not alone in that issue. There are lots of us that fall through the cracks insurance wise. Fortunately there is a hospital about 30 miles away that has a generous sliding fee scale if the one in my city doesn't. I will be contacting them this week.

Thanks again everyone for all the helpful advice.

UKGail Rookie

Raven - like many other answers, I also thought thyroid issues and insufficient nutrition were most likely to be the root cause of your problems.

If your main meal is often just a quick fix meal based on gluten-free bread or similar, then not only is it likely to be insufficient in healthy nutrients, but it might also be aggravating your delicate celiac digestive system.

So, in addition to looking at thyroid, vitamin deficiency, ESR and maybe an ANA test, perhaps you need to treat yourself like a newbie for a while and go back to diet basics, eating just a small number of plainly prepared, well cooked simple meat and veggies?

After I get glutened, I really struggle to eat for at least a week, and I find home made meat and vegetable soups work best for me, ideally using home made meat stock. I also struggle with fatigue, and this regime improves rather than worsens it for me, although you need more calories than soup meals can provide in the long run. You might find that your body makes more effective use of the concentrated nutrition in the soups than it can in a normal cooked meal, and is much better for you than a gluten-free sandwich. Soups also travel well in a thermos flask, so although the causes of your inability to eat during the day might be different to mine, perhaps you might find just a couple of mouthfuls of tasty soup is ok for breakfast and during work breaks, without upsetting you too much?

One final thought, we are all told that eating before going to bed is a no-no. I think that is because the digestive system supposedly slows down a lot while we sleep, so it is therefore even worse for us poor celiacs with our easily upset stomachs etc. Although you clearly need the nutrition from your late night snack if you are only eating one other meal, I would try everything you can to try to rebalance your food intake to earlier in the day. I understand that old habits are hard to break though! Before I twigged to celiac, I was eating 3 meals a day, plus a late night snack because of gluteny food cravings. And my weight was ballooning. Now rapidly coming off, no cravings for nasties and no late night visits to the kitchen either.

I do hope you find the cause(s) of your fatigue and get better soon.

PS lupus and similar are almost as hard to diagnose as celiac, and the ANA test is not very specific. I wouldn't be in a big hurry to spend any money on a specialist unless the thyroid and basic blood tests are all negative and you don't respond to diet/supplementation changes. The ESR and maybe also the related CRP blood test is better at indicating an underlying health issue which needs closer examination. The ESR in particular is a very simple test, and shouldn't be expensive.

GFinDC Veteran

Hi Raven,

Sorry you aren't feeling well. I have to disagree with the idea that eating once a day is bad for blood sugar. My thinking is simple. If blood sugar spikes are bad for the body, why not limit the number of them? One blood sugar spike is not as damaging as 3 or 4 in a day, IMHO. Anyway, that is just my own idea, not anything backed by research. I only eat in the morning, and nothing after noon. I do think it is important to eat quality food though, meats and veggies and that kind of stuff.

My doctor said my thyroid tests were normal. But I felt like crap so I got some Natural Sources Raw thyroid to take. It made a big difference for me. I also had gone off salt for 5 years and was low on iodine. One day I decided to trial salt again by eating some on an apple. I felt the difference in about 30 minutes. More energy etc. So I am sure I was low on iodine at that point. I get the Natural Sources Raw Thyroid at either Vitacost or Vitamin Shoppe. They have it at some other health food stores around here too.

I have the ridges on my fingernails also, which have never gone away. I am not sure what they mean.

One thing I have been reading about recently is androgenesis. That is the male version of menopause. They say that in men the level of testosterone decreases about 1% a year starting at 40 years old. Testosterone decreases in women also but I don't know how much. They also say that drinking alcohol impairs the ability of the liver to process estrogen. So men can end up with high estrogen levels and low testosterone from getting old and drinking. Bad combo there for men. Not too bad for women though.

The article I read about it said that DHEA is a pre-curser to testosterone and can help women who are low on it. Both sexes need estrogen and testosterone, but in a different balance. DHEA doesn't help men for some reason.

Another thing they mentioned is MACA. MACA is a South American tuber that is supposed to stimulate endocrine glands to produce more hormones. Not expensive and maybe worth a try. I plan to try it soon.

Anyhow, just a few things you could try without a doctors' visit.

Long article on alcohol and male hormone effects, scary stuff if you are a man. Just posting since some of it applies to women also.

Open Original Shared Link

Wiki on Maca. There is ton's of stuff on Maca on the web. But the main thing to know is the use in SA is as a vegetable, so they are eating much more of it than a little pill. Personally i don't give a rat about sex, but feeling better would be nice. I figure if this stuff does increase endocrine gland output that might be helpful. I don't expect there is much proof or research on it though.

Open Original Shared Link

Feel better soon. :D

Archived