This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Would You Get Rid Of...

Irishgirl76

Irishgirl76 Apprentice

We are in the midst of Celiac testing... my daughter's bloodwork came back positive, mine was indeterminate, and my two boys tested negative. My daughter and I are awaiting biopsies, and in the mean time have to keep eating gluten. I'm trying to make a list of things I will need to replace once we are able to get the gluten out of our house. I already know about the obvious things, and have gotten rid of all gluten-containing foods, anything that may be cross-contaminated, etc. My boyfriend has offered to make us a new cutting board (yaay!). I don't think I'll bother replacing my toaster, I'll just get rid of it. But now for the less obvious things:

Would you get rid of:

A stainless steel collander with fairly large holes?

A pizza cutter? (wondering if bits of gluteny-pizza might be stuck in the wheel mechanism)

A wire wisk? (Again, used for baking, and wondering if bits of gluten could be stuck between where the wire wisk meets the handle, hard to get 100% clean)

Knives in a knife block? (Serrated knives that would have been used to cut bread), also I'm sure there are bread crumbs stuck down in the knife block or something.

Oven mitts? (can you get these really clean with just washing?)

Guessing all my stainless steel pots etc are fine.

Trying not to be paranoid, but just want to have all of our bases covered so that once we are gluten-free, I can make sure my kitchen is as well. Planning on going shopping in the next couple of days.

Thanks!

Alissa

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

missy'smom Collaborator

Your oven mitts are fine, just wash as usual. No need for any special effort.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

We are in the midst of Celiac testing... my daughter's bloodwork came back positive, mine was indeterminate, and my two boys tested negative. My daughter and I are awaiting biopsies, and in the mean time have to keep eating gluten. I'm trying to make a list of things I will need to replace once we are able to get the gluten out of our house. I already know about the obvious things, and have gotten rid of all gluten-containing foods, anything that may be cross-contaminated, etc. My boyfriend has offered to make us a new cutting board (yaay!). I don't think I'll bother replacing my toaster, I'll just get rid of it. But now for the less obvious things:

Would you get rid of:

A stainless steel collander with fairly large holes?

A pizza cutter? (wondering if bits of gluteny-pizza might be stuck in the wheel mechanism)

A wire wisk? (Again, used for baking, and wondering if bits of gluten could be stuck between where the wire wisk meets the handle, hard to get 100% clean)

Knives in a knife block? (Serrated knives that would have been used to cut bread), also I'm sure there are bread crumbs stuck down in the knife block or something.

Oven mitts? (can you get these really clean with just washing?)

Guessing all my stainless steel pots etc are fine.

Trying not to be paranoid, but just want to have all of our bases covered so that once we are gluten-free, I can make sure my kitchen is as well. Planning on going shopping in the next couple of days.

Thanks!

Alissa

I would replace what I bolded. I would also replace the toaster since many gluten-free breads are better toasted.

Takala Enthusiast

Get rid of the knife block.

Also, anything else old wood, like wooden spoons, rolling pins.

And old tupperware.

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

Wow, never thought of the knife block. I didn't replace mine and so far no problems. I am curious now. I may turn it upside down and see what comes out. Kinda scary.

I'd try washing the stainless steel colander with barkeeper's friend. I specifically bought stainless steel ones with big holes to replace my old ones so that I could clean them if necessary. We did cook gluten pasta a few times and it did clean up just fine using barkeeper's friend.

The whisk, I didn't throw mine out....stuck mine in the dishwasher. It is silicone coated. Don't know if that makes a difference.

I did replace plastics (didn't have many), wooden spoons, cutting boards, tossed out old colanders because they weren't scourable. I have a toaster oven so it was cleanable. Cleaned grill grates with oven cleaner. Did get a new rolling pin (old one was wood), and new sifter.

Irishgirl76 Apprentice

Thanks, guys! I can see I'm going to be learning a lot from all of you. :)

How about the serrated knives? Think they're ok?

Thanks, guys! I can see I'm going to be learning a lot from all of you. :)

How about the serrated knives? Think they're ok?

Yes. Soap, water, barkeeper's friend. Get up by the handle quite well.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

sa1937 Community Regular

I kept my knife block but then I've always washed my knives before they're put away. I tend to buy good kitchen things and also take good care of them.

I did buy a new toaster (sad to donate one I really liked and they just don't make toasters like they used to), new cutting boards, new colanders, new wooden spoons, new whisks as mine needed to be replaced. Sadly I did get rid of quite a bit of Tupperware because I didn't think I could get it clean. I also replaced non-stick cookware although I didn't have a lot of it. I kept my Calphalon hard-anodized cookware and gave it a good scrubbing.

That said, I have had a good time buying a lot of new things...but then I've never cooked or baked so much in all my life so felt I *deserved* new stuff. :)

Basically I think you need to use good judgment. If I knew I could get something clean, I kept it. If not, I got rid of it.

Lisa Mentor

Basically I think you need to use good judgment. If I knew I could get something clean, I kept it. If not, I got rid of it.

Sums it up pretty well Sylvia! :)

love2travel Mentor

Just a quick idea - we put our knives on a magnetic strip as there is no way of harbouring creepy crawlies. Not only that but if the knives are tight, the wood can dull the knives. I'm a big knife person (aka geek) with expensive knives I am particularly proud of. Magnetic strips are awesome! Sorry - no offense intended to those with blocks. I had a block several years ago, too.

Irishgirl76 Apprentice

Thanks for the magbetic strip idea! I have about 3 really good knives, one of which didn't even fit in the knife bkock so i always just laid it on the cutting board. Magnet idea is fab!! And doesn't take up counterspace. :) Thanks!

Irishgirl76 Apprentice

I did get rid of all the wooden stuff (spoons, rolling pins, etc). I didn't have any tupperware as I had long since stopped using plastic for food storage. However I switched to pyrex food storage containers, which have plastic lids. Think the lds are ok?

kareng Grand Master

I did get rid of all the wooden stuff (spoons, rolling pins, etc). I didn't have any tupperware as I had long since stopped using plastic for food storage. However I switched to pyrex food storage containers, which have plastic lids. Think the lds are ok?

I use those. I need to see if I can get more lids. The bowls are good but the lids start breaking.

sa1937 Community Regular

Just a quick idea - we put our knives on a magnetic strip as there is no way of harbouring creepy crawlies. Not only that but if the knives are tight, the wood can dull the knives. I'm a big knife person (aka geek) with expensive knives I am particularly proud of. Magnetic strips are awesome! Sorry - no offense intended to those with blocks. I had a block several years ago, too.

I think a magnetic strip is a great idea and I have expensive knives, too. But when I built this house, I wanted tons of light in the kitchen so have under cabinet lights, recessed lights and lots of receptacles and light switches so I simply don't have any place to put one.

love2travel Mentor

Thanks for the magbetic strip idea! I have about 3 really good knives, one of which didn't even fit in the knife bkock so i always just laid it on the cutting board. Magnet idea is fab!! And doesn't take up counterspace. :) Thanks!

No problem. It works so well - the strip is so strong that there is not a chance of even my heftiest cleaver and chef knives going anywhere. I love how it keeps the knives out of the way and off the counter.

Irishgirl76 Apprentice

More questions (as I make a mental list in my head...)...I'm going to be looking for gluten-free make-up. What about things like make-up brushes? Can I just wash them or should I replace them? Make-up bag? (it's not washable & has make-up residue in it).

Thanks. :0)

Irishgirl76 Apprentice

Sorry for all the typos - I'm on my iPhone and must be typing too quickly. Spelling is actually one of my strong points. lol

More questions (as I make a mental list in my head...)...I'm going to be looking for gluten-free make-up. What about things like make-up brushes? Can I just wash them or should I replace them? Make-up bag? (it's not washable & has make-up residue in it).

Thanks. :0)

As heartbreaking as it can be, because those brushes can be hard to replace, you may want to consider it. I've never been able to get them totally clean.

Ditto for the bag. I know mine won't clean up to save my life.

But yours may be different. If soap and water does it, you're fine.

Gemini Experienced

I kept my knife block but then I've always washed my knives before they're put away. I tend to buy good kitchen things and also take good care of them.

I did buy a new toaster (sad to donate one I really liked and they just don't make toasters like they used to), new cutting boards, new colanders, new wooden spoons, new whisks as mine needed to be replaced. Sadly I did get rid of quite a bit of Tupperware because I didn't think I could get it clean. I also replaced non-stick cookware although I didn't have a lot of it. I kept my Calphalon hard-anodized cookware and gave it a good scrubbing.

That said, I have had a good time buying a lot of new things...but then I've never cooked or baked so much in all my life so felt I *deserved* new stuff. :)

Good answer, Sylvia! :)

I, too, have a nice set of knives and did not ditch the block because it cost too much to do so but I wash the knives well before putting them away. Can't harbor gluten that isn't there! :rolleyes:

love2travel Mentor

Good answer, Sylvia! :)

I, too, have a nice set of knives and did not ditch the block because it cost too much to do so but I wash the knives well before putting them away. Can't harbor gluten that isn't there! :rolleyes:

Sorry I was so unclear. :( I meant storing knives in a WOODEN block harbour bacteria. Trust me - I've taken and now teach knife handling techniques and it is amazing what can be stuck in blocks. See the following explanation:

Open Original Shared Link

Perhaps it is more reasonable to have a magnetic strip for those who use their good knives a lot, like me! :D I have to be extra careful because I teach cooking classes at my home and do not want anyone to get sick!

But I suppose if one is super careful that the knife is absolutely clean and dry it would be fine.

sa1937 Community Regular

Sorry I was so unclear. :( I meant storing knives in a WOODEN block harbour bacteria. Trust me - I've taken and now teach knife handling techniques and it is amazing what can be stuck in blocks. See the following explanation:

Perhaps it is more reasonable to have a magnetic strip for those who use their good knives a lot, like me! :D I have to be extra careful because I teach cooking classes at my home and do not want anyone to get sick!

But I suppose if one is super careful that the knife is absolutely clean and dry it would be fine.

I do store my knifes in a wooden block...it is the only place I have room for them. Dang, wish my kitchen was bigger but it was just fine when I built the house. :P

Gemini Experienced

OK...now I have to get into this deeper than I thought I would! :huh: I have a wooden block that I store my knives in and in no way is it harboring bacteria. I could see from some other kitchens I have been in that this could happen because some folks do not care about cleanliness. I am anal about it and if someone wanted to call me anal regarding my cleanliness routines, I have no problem with that at all. Maybe that's why I do not have mystery glutenings or anything else that some people claim because I clean up my crap pretty good. This is right along the lines of warning people about cutting boards. They are not dangerous if cleaned properly after use, period. I also don't think anyone who takes a freakin' knife handling course is any better at figuring this out than those of us who have been just cooking for the past 40 years. Can someone tell me where all the common sense has gone???????????????????? :blink:

love2travel Mentor

OK...now I have to get into this deeper than I thought I would! :huh: I have a wooden block that I store my knives in and in no way is it harboring bacteria. I could see from some other kitchens I have been in that this could happen because some folks do not care about cleanliness. I am anal about it and if someone wanted to call me anal regarding my cleanliness routines, I have no problem with that at all. Maybe that's why I do not have mystery glutenings or anything else that some people claim because I clean up my crap pretty good. This is right along the lines of warning people about cutting boards. They are not dangerous if cleaned properly after use, period. I also don't think anyone who takes a freakin' knife handling course is any better at figuring this out than those of us who have been just cooking for the past 40 years. Can someone tell me where all the common sense has gone???????????????????? :blink:

Sorry, Gemini! I just intended to bring it up as I have seen some pretty icky blocks. But I agree that those with 40 years of cooking experience can have far more to offer than those taking knife skill classes. My bvackground is human resources. I often used to hire those with experience over those with a degree so I truly understand what you are saying. I am self taught as well and classes or not, I believe I am a better cook than some trained chefs! And you, too - many here could claim that.

Science is also my background (before I decided to go into HR) and I think technically so that is where I am coming from.

So sorry to have offended you! I did not mean to imply that those with a cooking course are more skilled than those without at all - just wanted to offer some scientific stuff. Sorry that what I said has come across in such a bad tone. It was unkind. :(

Gemini Experienced

Sorry, Gemini! I just intended to bring it up as I have seen some pretty icky blocks. But I agree that those with 40 years of cooking experience can have far more to offer than those taking knife skill classes. My bvackground is human resources. I often used to hire those with experience over those with a degree so I truly understand what you are saying. I am self taught as well and classes or not, I believe I am a better cook than some trained chefs! And you, too - many here could claim that.

Science is also my background (before I decided to go into HR) and I think technically so that is where I am coming from.

So sorry to have offended you! I did not mean to imply that those with a cooking course are more skilled than those without at all - just wanted to offer some scientific stuff. Sorry that what I said has come across in such a bad tone. It was unkind. :(

Love2Travel and I PM'd and we are good! I think I overreacted somewhat to words that I shouldn't have let bother me but Love2Travel was very adult and generous in her attitude about it so all is forgotten and we move on. This forum needs her travel expertise for those of us who are a bit timid to venture as far as she has, not to mention her cooking skills. With regards to Celiac Disease, self taught is a good thing! I am sorry to have gone off like that but the air is cleared for the better! :D

Lisa Mentor

Love2Travel and I PM'd and we are good! I think I overreacted somewhat to words that I shouldn't have let bother me but Love2Travel was very adult and generous in her attitude about it so all is forgotten and we move on. This forum needs her travel expertise for those of us who are a bit timid to venture as far as she has, not to mention her cooking skills. With regards to Celiac Disease, self taught is a good thing! I am sorry to have gone off like that but the air is cleared for the better! :D

:D

Archived