This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

How To Cope After Negative Blood Results

Hailiesmom08

beebs Enthusiast

What is SCD??

At various points he has been dairy free, fruit free, haven't done grains. And now he is Lactose free - ie L/F. He has probiotics.

He hasn't had a colonoscopy- think they were waiting to see if it all resolved on a gluten-free diet!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cahill Collaborator

What is SCD??

Specific Carbohydrate Diet

Open Original Shared Link

beebs Enthusiast

Thanks!

Hailiesmom08 Rookie

The SCD diet is very scrict and gets a little hard to follow but the results are worth it.

My daughter being almost 4 has adjusted so well I couldn't be more proud. I run an in home daycare and though I try and cut out the sugar treats to my daycare kids I can't fully restric it when their parents bring them things such as fruit snacks, my poor little girl has to watch other kids eat what was once one of her fav treats. I think it hurts me more than it hurts her that she can't eat a lot of foods but she is so strong and says

researchmomma Contributor

HalliesMom, I so get it. I really do.

Chad Sines Rising Star

I like the SCD; however, my biggest issue with it is that the site and book seem outdated. The other big issue I have is their pushing of the homemade yogurt even if you have a bad reaction to milk. I believe in the book she mentions to go for it unless you are anaphylactic. Many of us have allergic reactions to milk that are not anaphylactic but are also not simple lactose intolerance. One theory they use is that you are depriving the bacteria of food; however, many of the foods they recommend are high in sugars. What's worse is that many are high in fructose, a gi issue for many.

Still, I do think it is worth a trial. I am eating paleo and having good success with that. I do avoid certain foods that SCD says to avoid.

Like with everything, you have to find what works for you and that may be different than what works for me and everybody else.

Hailiesmom08 Rookie

I agree it is very outdated, we bought the book and view the website as our guide but we do not by any means follow it strictly. No we don't eat any of the illegal foods but we haven't made the home made yogurt or cottage cheese as my daughter does have anaphylactic reactions to dairy. I have found a few new recipes in the book such as the muffins that turned out amazing! I feel it's been a good starting point for us. With all of this being so new I have been overwhelmed now that im digesting it all I will be doing more research on other diets such as the GAPS and paleo diets.

My daughter is going to be 4 next month and has had stomach issues since 2 weeks old. My husband and I have discovered all of her allergies/intolerances on our own doctors honestly haven't done jack for us aside from telling us she has 5 ft of poo backed up in her.

With her being so restricted and her birthday only 3 weeks away I'm stressing about what to do for her birthday cake/cupcakes.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

alex11602 Collaborator

With her being so restricted and her birthday only 3 weeks away I'm stressing about what to do for her birthday cake/cupcakes.

I am not extremely familiar with SCD so I'm just throwing this out there. Is there any cookie recipe that you can make? We made a cookie cake for my youngest because we couldn't figure out a safe cake to make. The one we made was a grain free vegan chocolate chip cookie made with honey from Elana's Pantry and instead of putting the chocolate chips into the dough I put them on top in the shape of Mickey Mouse's head since she was having a Mickey and Minnie party.

P.S. I hope that your daughter has a wonderful birthday and that you will both be healthy and happy.

Hailiesmom08 Rookie

Alex11602- Their are a few cookie recipes in yhe book that ok going to make this weened to see if she likes them. Do you haopen to have a libk of the recipe you made? Sounds like my daughter can have everything aside the chocolate chips as sugar is a no no right now. But honey is okay!

Thank you I am very excited for her party! They grow up soo fast :/

Hailiesmom08 Rookie

Goodness looks like I need more coffee this AM, you said where you got the recipe lol

Going to look at her website now!

Thank you!

alex11602 Collaborator

Alex11602- Their are a few cookie recipes in yhe book that ok going to make this weened to see if she likes them. Do you haopen to have a libk of the recipe you made? Sounds like my daughter can have everything aside the chocolate chips as sugar is a no no right now. But honey is okay!

Thank you I am very excited for her party! They grow up soo fast :/

Open Original Shared Link

I hope it will work for you. I just looked at the recipe again and it calls for agave nectar and I had changed it to an equal amount of honey and I used canola oil instead of grapeseed. And I hear you on the sugar thing...honey is the only one I can handle.

Elizabeth5220 Apprentice

Doctors (and the medical tests they use) don't know everything. It was just a very short 60 years ago that the polio vaccine was developed. Heck, bloodletting was still in use in the 20th century! Listen to your body...it knows...

Archived