This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Need A Probiotic Withoug Gluten, Soy, Corn, Dairy

Austin Guy

Austin Guy Contributor

Need a Probiotic without gluten, soy, corn, dairy or lactose. I read labels and appreciate seeing things market as being free of gluten and dairy, but nobody seems to state the other stuff. Any recommendations?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

RiceGuy Collaborator

I find NOW Foods and Source Naturals are pretty good at labeling. Have you checked what they have on their respective websites?

IrishHeart Veteran

My GI doctor--and I :)--highly recommend Culturelle--just be sure to get the one labeled DAIRY free.

sa1937 Community Regular

I take Culturelle Digestive Health and it has helped me a lot. Thanks again for that recommendation, Irish Heart!

Here's the website so you can check the ingredients: Open Original Shared Link

StephanieL Enthusiast

I have heard of many reacting to culturelle. We are HUGE fans of Custom Probiotics. He is a dream to work with and can answer all your questions. Sent us about a month sample to see how well it worked and we were hooked after day 3!

IrishHeart Veteran

I have heard of many reacting to culturelle. We are HUGE fans of Custom Probiotics. He is a dream to work with and can answer all your questions. Sent us about a month sample to see how well it worked and we were hooked after day 3!

I used the Custom Probtioics myself for a while and he IS great to work with! Very knowledgable. But they are expensive and some folks cannot afford them.

I am concerned by your statement that you have heard of many reacting to Culturelle. In what way? I would hate to think something I recommended is making people react somehow. :(

StephanieL Enthusiast

Custom are pricy up front but with the small amount needed it works out to $10-15/month.

People in the food allergy world have reported GI reactions to Culterelle in those with dairy issues. I have not tried it because of these reports as my kids are dairy allergic.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

GFinDC Veteran

I think Jarro-dolphilus is one. Vitamin Shoppe brand and Nature Made also. Source Naturals was already mentioned.

IrishHeart Veteran

Custom are pricy up front but with the small amount needed it works out to $10-15/month.

People in the food allergy world have reported GI reactions to Culterelle in those with dairy issues. I have not tried it because of these reports as my kids are dairy allergic.

But there is a DAIRY FREE version of Culturelle--as I mentioned specifically to him above--for those who need dairy-free. Otherwise, I would not have made the suggestion in the first place.

But you should always do what's best for you guys, of course.

domesticactivist Collaborator

GutPro probiotic powder has a product with ABSOLUTELY NO FILLERS! Open Original Shared Link

They have some gluten in their facility but tested to below 5 ppm the last I checked. They are very responsive to email questions.

ciamarie Rookie

I've been taking Open Original Shared Link 'Udo's choice Adult's probiotic' with no issues. It doesn't specifically say that it's gluten-free, but it does say 'Vegetarian' on the label and lists the probiotic strains and then lists Other Ingredients as: Potato Starch, silicon dioxide, ascorbic acid, stearic acid and hydroxypropyl methylcellulose. I got them at a local Open Original Shared Link store for about $17 for 60 capsules, 17 billion cells.

StephanieL Enthusiast

But there is a DAIRY FREE version of Culturelle--as I mentioned specifically to him above--for those who need dairy-free. Otherwise, I would not have made the suggestion in the first place.

But you should always do what's best for you guys, of course.

I know you mentioned that. I am saying that I know of dairy allergic people who have still reacted to them. I am not sure if it's x-con or what. I am aware of the dairy free but question the accuracy of that label.

IrishHeart Veteran

I know you mentioned that. I am saying that I know of dairy allergic people who have still reacted to them. I am not sure if it's x-con or what. I am aware of the dairy free but question the accuracy of that label.

I understand people told you they had a reaction of some kind. I cannot say if that is true or not--and I do not wish to debate it or anything. What people say is what they say, right? I believe you when you say you heard it.

But, we have people on here who say one product gives them a "gluten reaction" and dozens more say: "Not me! Not ever!"

so, maybe it is something ELSE in these products?

Why on earth would a reputable company place a voluntary label of dairy-free on a product and risk serious lawsuits should someone have a life-threatening allergic reaction? That does not make sense to me.

Again, to the OP---use your best judgement.

Cathey Apprentice

Oh no, your question has me in a tail spin. I just started using and was going to recommend nutra-Metrix Probiotic / Enzymes (brought @ the Doctors office) using it along with Ultimate Aloe drink. It is a vegetarian mixture with no wheat, gluten, soy, yeast, starch, milk, salt or preservatives.

My dilemma, I started researching other recommended Probiotic from the posts and my brand uses Lactospore (Bacillus Coagulans) and all other brands use Lactobacillus. Does anyone know is there a difference, do you have a preference, should I use what others have recommended and from what I have read, is my PCP blowing smoke up my --- and selling me what she uses and promotes?

What to do?

IrishHeart Veteran

Oh no, your question has me in a tail spin. I just started using and was going to recommend nutra-Metrix Probiotic / Enzymes (brought @ the Doctors office) using it along with Ultimate Aloe drink. It is a vegetarian mixture with no wheat, gluten, soy, yeast, starch, milk, salt or preservatives.

My dilemma, I started researching other recommended Probiotic from the posts and my brand uses Lactospore (Bacillus Coagulans) and all other brands use Lactobacillus. Does anyone know is there a difference, do you have a preference, should I use what others have recommended and from what I have read, is my PCP blowing smoke up my --- and selling me what she uses and promotes?

What to do?

Cathey,

I looked up the brand you are using and it sure looks like an excellent product with various strains and substantial supportive published materials. It should do the trick for you! It is a multi-strain which is preferred.

10 billion active Colony Forming Units (CFUs)

10 scientifically chosen probiotic strains:

Lactobacillus plantarum

Lactobacillus acidophilus

Lactobacillus rhamnosus

Lactobacillus salivarius

Lactobacillus casei

Lactobacillus helveticus

Bifidobacterium bifidum

Bifidobacterium longum

Bifidobacterium breve

Bifidobacterium infantis

I would guess you will see many benefits from using it!

I started my regime with Custom Probiotics because I wanted multiple strains and I knew the owner of the company was a chemist who knew what he was doing! :)

I ONLY went to the Culurelle recently because (1) my GI doc suggested it had another strain to populate my gut and (2) it was less expensive and I was having serious dental work done and the money had to go there :lol:

Here is an article discussing the lactobacillus GG strain(which is in Culturelle) and has been studied by doctors at Tufts University. In part, it states:

"Lactobacillus GG (Lactobacillus G.G., strain ATCC 53103) is a bacterium that occurs naturally in the human digestive tract. This strain of bacteria was first isolated by two Boston scientists, Professors Sherwood Gorbach and Barry Goldin, who were searching for a strain of lactobacillus that could colonize the human intestine and thereby exert the beneficial effects which Metchnikoff had hoped to produce by his yogurt cultures. As guides for their research, Gorbach and Goldin established a number of

criteria which they believed their ideal probiotic candidate should satisfy. The bacterium would be: 1) be of human origin; 2) capable of attaching to human intestinal (epithelial) cells and colonizing the gut to prevent competition from invading pathogens; 3) resistant to acid and bile, able to survive transit from the stomach to the intestines; 4) exhibit beneficial, health-promoting activity in the host system; and 5) exhibit a high degree of safety.

In 1985, Gorbach and Goldin isolated their ideal probiotic “bug,” which was designated, appropriately, Lactobacillus GG (LGG). Today, LGG is the best-studied and most extensively documented probiotic lactic-acid bacteria strain in the world. This strain stabilizes human intestinal microflora and hastens the removal of pathogenic microorganisms. Its beneficial effects in treating gastrointestinal disorders and bacterial and viral infections are extremely well documented, as is its ability to strengthen the immune system. In addition to ongoing studies of LGG’s ability to prevent gastrointestinal infections, some interesting preliminary observations on the antitumor effect of LGG in the colon have also been reported."

The entire report is here:

Open Original Shared Link

Cheers,

IH

Cathey Apprentice

Thank you Irish, everyday is a new beginning and sometimes overwhelming. I wasn't sure of what I was using with all I had read. That's why I came to the experts with the experience. The cost is not bad if it last 90 days it comes to $12 a month, the Aloe drink is close to $60 month. I probably will use the Aloe for a couple months and just stay on the Bio-tics. I know where your coming from with the dental work, I put off my implants and plate last year because of all of my stomach and abdominal issues. Hopefully I will lots to Smile about soon. Thanks again. Cathey

IrishHeart Veteran

Thank you Irish, everyday is a new beginning and sometimes overwhelming. I wasn't sure of what I was using with all I had read. That's why I came to the experts with the experience. The cost is not bad if it last 90 days it comes to $12 a month, the Aloe drink is close to $60 month. I probably will use the Aloe for a couple months and just stay on the Bio-tics. I know where your coming from with the dental work, I put off my implants and plate last year because of all of my stomach and abdominal issues. Hopefully I will lots to Smile about soon. Thanks again. Cathey

You're so welcome. Hang in there. Took me a year to get all the dental stuff done--I'll be paying it off for 3 years. :o I wouldn't mind so much, but I took great care of my teeth all my life---but we all know what malabsorption and celiac can do to dental enamel . :rolleyes:

• 1 year later...
Drd Psyd Newbie

I used the Custom Probtioics myself for a while and he IS great to work with! Very knowledgable. But they are expensive and some folks cannot afford them.

I am concerned by your statement that you have heard of many reacting to Culturelle. In what way? I would hate to think something I recommended is making people react somehow. sad.gif

I am gluten free, wheat free, soy free, and lactose intolerant so I checked the ingredients in Culturelle and I could not take them because it says they are made with wheat and other ingredients I cannot take. I am looking for a probiotic that does not have the ingredients I am allergic to in them and I need a fiber vitamin; I prefer gummies or chewable because I have a problem swallowing pills - does anyone have an suggestion? Thank you!

1desperateladysaved Proficient

I am using Restore Pro-Biotic by Healthline nutrition.  This contains DDS-1 L. Salivarius, L Plantarium which the label says are resistant to most antibiotics.    Also contained are L. Acidopihlus DDS-1,.  The bottle contains 96 servings (Mine lasted 3 + months).  I get it from Azure Standard for about 20 dollars.

I like to vary my probiotic, so am planning to try some of these others in time.  I like this product because it contains no fillers.  Therefore, I don't have to worry about foods I am intolerant of being in there.  It is so hard to read labels 30 products long.

I am sorry, but I don't have experience with gummy probiotics yet.

IrishHeart Veteran

I am gluten free, wheat free, soy free, and lactose intolerant so I checked the ingredients in Culturelle and I could not take them because it says they are made with wheat and other ingredients I cannot take. I am looking for a probiotic that does not have the ingredients I am allergic to in them and I need a fiber vitamin; I prefer gummies or chewable because I have a problem swallowing pills - does anyone have an suggestion? Thank you!

Culturelle is indeed gluten and dairy free. Please check the label once more or read what's posted on their website.

I would never recommend something that contains wheat. And I certainly would never have taken it myself.

Honest! :) 

• 3 months later...
glutenfree4mykid Newbie

i am getting ready to start my 16 yr old son on Culterelle. i have heard great things about the product. he was diagnosed with Celiac recently and after gluten-free diet and feeling great he started with symptoms again. after reading tons and tons i am thinking it is due to leaky gut which could be causing him to have a cross reaction to other foods. he has also been dairy free for a few months. 

keeping my fingers crossed! ill post again when i know how it works for him. 

Roda Rising Star

We use the daily in this brand.  It is non-dairy, non-gmo, gluten free, soy free, preservative free and vegan.  I don't know if it is corn free.  You could contact them and ask. 

Open Original Shared Link

glutenfree4mykid Newbie

thank you Roda! i will check it out Up 4.

i just checked Culturelle for anyone interested, and it is loaded with corn additives...ugh. im not even sure that is what my sons problem is, but i learned that staying off of ALL grain and yeast for the first 30 days of gluten-free diet will help eliminate cross reactions and help the body heal quicker. i have also learned that probiotic brands with Lactobacillus GG is supposed to be the most beneficial. 

Roda Rising Star

Your welcome glutenfree4mykid!

mamaw Community Regular

probiotics  debate::::::  I think we all have  ones  that  work  for  us &  some  may work wonders  for some  & for  others  not  so much.... for  me  Culturelle  is one  that  didn't  work for me. I had  no health issues  with it  , it  just  didn't help me.....

I  do  believe  we  should  switch  probiotics  on  & off  giving  the  body  different  strains   &  amounts....we  become  accustomed to  the  same  probiotic  so  a  rotation  is  very  helpful keeping  the  gut  healthy & happy...

Probiotics  have  a  wide  range  of  strains,  and a   wider  range  in price!!!!!  more  expensive  doesn't  mean better & cheaper  brands  doesn't mean less effective.. Our  bodies  tell  us    what  works  for  that  body......

The only  thing  I've  heard  from many  doctors  is  take it  on an  empty  stomach....

Digestive  enzymes  ( which I think  are  as  important)  are  taken  before  meals...

Just  my two  cents.....

Archived