Celiac.com Sponsor:

Celiac.com Sponsor:

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dr. Jill

Distended Abdomen

Oh no, some of us really have no butts. Just legs that go up to the trunk, nothing in between!

Oh I know, I lost mine, too for a while....just a flat, painful, weak pancake. I could not sit or lie down or walk comfortably for 3 years. No joke. The doctors had no explanation and suggested a scooter to get around and to take drugs. I said that's not an answer...what the hell is CAUSING it? (well, we know now) My sitz bones, gluteals, sciatica, piriformis muscles and hamstring attachments, the IT-band, quads, calf muscles EVERYTHING --excruciating BURNING pain. My entire pelvic floor was affected. I cried every day from the pain. The MT (who is also a nurse) and the PT (who is specialty- trained in pelvic floor disorders) both said they have never seen muscular wasting like I experienced. I am in rehab to restore massive lost muscle mass. 2X a week for the last year. And exercises and strengthening every day. It is grueling, but I make slow progress.I had to find those people myself to start this process and get back to a "normal life". I am almost like a kid learning to walk and move all over again. I was a dancer, a swimmer and --I had to stop all of that. My muscles would not work and I was burning 24/7. A soup can was heavy.

And in the past few months --after being gluten-free for a year---there IS a butt coming back. :) And definition to the muscles that became like wet noodles. And less pain. I use 2 lb. weights now. 10 whole reps! I have great hope.

I have been over 4 years gluten free and can now eat dairy again. I still have a totally flat belly. It was huge before. I used to get asked if I was pregnant when I wasn't, and I was pretty thin too. Just wanted people to know that a flat belly with dairy is possible.

Oh I know, I lost mine, too for a while....just a flat, painful, weak pancake. I could not sit or lie down or walk comfortably for 3 years. No joke. The doctors had no explanation and suggested a scooter to get around and to take drugs. I said that's not an answer...what the hell is CAUSING it? (well, we know now) My sitz bones, gluteals, sciatica, piriformis muscles and hamstring attachments, the IT-band, quads, calf muscles EVERYTHING --excruciating BURNING pain. My entire pelvic floor was affected. I cried every day from the pain. The MT (who is also a nurse) and the PT (who is specialty- trained in pelvic floor disorders) both said they have never seen muscular wasting like I experienced. I am in rehab to restore massive lost muscle mass. 2X a week for the last year. And exercises and strengthening every day. It is grueling, but I make slow progress.I had to find those people myself to start this process and get back to a "normal life". I am almost like a kid learning to walk and move all over again. I was a dancer, a swimmer and --I had to stop all of that. My muscles would not work and I was burning 24/7. A soup can was heavy.

And in the past few months --after being gluten-free for a year---there IS a butt coming back. :) And definition to the muscles that became like wet noodles. And less pain. I use 2 lb. weights now. 10 whole reps! I have great hope.

Add me to the list of those who've lost their butts! It's now flat with a bit of droopy skin at the bottom. My legs and arms are twigs. Chest has flattened too. :(

I used to hoist the 30# bag of dog food onto my shoulder and carry it into the house from my car. Now I can't lift it.

I want a ba-donk-a-donk butt! :P

IrishHeart..I'nm so glad you've finnally got the right people helping you come back to health. It's a long road when you've gotten as weak as you did.

My tummy got flat after 2 or 3 months of gluten-free - but now at 5 months it's suddenly ballooned up again. I've been trying to figure out if I've been doing anything differently and I can't say that I have. I can't figure it out. Hope it goes away again :(!

My tummy got flat after 2 or 3 months of gluten-free - but now at 5 months it's suddenly ballooned up again. I've been trying to figure out if I've been doing anything differently and I can't say that I have. I can't figure it out. Hope it goes away again :(!

I found that the longer I was gluten free, the more sensitive I got to lower levels of gluten. Symptoms returned without me changing anything. I had to change things to make the symptoms go away again.

What helped was to keep a food/symptoms journal. That helped connect the symptoms to certain food items. It also helped to become more aware of possible low level cc issues.

I hope you figure things out. It's no good going around looking pregnant when you aren't.

I found that the longer I was gluten free, the more sensitive I got to lower levels of gluten. Symptoms returned without me changing anything. I had to change things to make the symptoms go away again.

What helped was to keep a food/symptoms journal. That helped connect the symptoms to certain food items. It also helped to become more aware of possible low level cc issues.

I hope you figure things out. It's no good going around looking pregnant when you aren't.

Well I am used to dressing the belly (loose shirts are a staple!) since I've done it all my life! I just discovered I have problems now with onions, maybe that's what was doing it? We'll see...

You mean I might have a butt someday? !!! :D

lol My flat one has always been a joke in our circle of friends. My daughter once offered to buy me "butt pads" to round me out! :rolleyes: