This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Help With Microwave Cheese Sauce?

BeFree

BeFree Contributor

So...I'm pretty new at this, and I tried to make this microwave cheese sauce by substituting Bob's All Purpose Flour, uh, really did not work. Any advice? I want a quick cheese sauce that I can melt in the microwave.

Tried to use this recipe:

1 cup milk

3 tablespoons all-purpose flour

salt and pepper to taste

2 tablespoons butter

1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Adalaide Mentor

I think I use rice flour in my mac & cheese sauce, not totally sure though. I've never microwaved it though so not sure if it would be any better. I'd just try Velveeta. Add a couple of tablespoons of milk to the smallest size brick (cut up) and stir very very frequently.

mushroom Proficient

I'm afraid I must be a purist. I just can't imagine why you would want to make a sauce in the microwave (unless, of course, that was the only heat source available). :P There is just something so satisfying about watching a sauce evolve in all its velvety smoothness..... :)

BeFree Contributor

"I'm afraid I must be a purist. I just can't imagine why you would want to make a sauce in the microwave (unless, of course, that was the only heat source available). There is just something so satisfying about watching a sauce evolve in all its velvety smoothness....."

LOL for some odd reason I thought it would be easier to make it in the microwave, and actually it made a giant mess! I think your way sounds better. But is there a good recipe for cheese sauce I can make myself, with some gluten-free flour and real cheese? Not just melting Velveeta, I've never liked that stuff.

kareng Grand Master

Can you try corn starch? I just had a pre made cheese fondue that uses corn starch. Do the same recipe on the stove and add the corn starch in a little at time ( maybe half first to see how it does). Don't you just hate the waste of some yummy cheese? :huh:

lpellegr Collaborator

I make this sauce for mac and cheese, and it doesn't take too long. It's a little more work than microwaving, but more likely to come out edible.

In a pot, melt 3 T of butter/margarine/your favorite fat on low heat.

When it melts, add 2T of cornstarch or a gluten-free flour mix and stir to combine.

When it is all combined (don't let it start browning) add 2 cups of milk (or your substitute). Turn the heat up, then stir continuously until the whole thing thickens and starts to bubble. Turn off the heat.

Add 8 oz of shredded cheese and stir until it melts. That's it, cheese sauce.

I usually add 1 t of salt and 1 t of dry mustard (at the butter and cornstarch step) when I'm using it for mac and cheese, but you can season it however you like. Some cheeses are very salty and don't need as much salt. I can't guarantee it will work for all forms of non-cow milk because I haven't tried them.

If you want to make mac and cheese: while this is going on boil 2 cups of Tinkyada elbow mac for 12 minutes, then drain. You don't have to rinse it off, since you are going to want your casserole to stick together anyway. Dump the elbows into the sauce and combine well, then pour into a greased dish and bake at 375 for 30 minutes. It also works low-carb if you substitute cooked drained cauliflower for the pasta.

Adalaide Mentor

This was my first and will be my only recipe, partly because it's so similar to what I'm used to. The mustard and parsley are optional and I prefer to just add twice as much pasta instead of adding vegetables. (Nothing wrong with cauliflower but I just don't mix healthy stuff with my mac & cheese.) I also just threw an end piece of my bread in the food processor for crumbs instead of rice cereal since I didn't have any cereal around when I made it. Also, bacon on top of mac & cheese? Why didn't I ever think of that before, it's brilliant! Bacon makes everything better.

Open Original Shared Link

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mushroom Proficient

This was my first and will be my only recipe, partly because it's so similar to what I'm used to. The mustard and parsley are optional and I prefer to just add twice as much pasta instead of adding vegetables. (Nothing wrong with cauliflower but I just don't mix healthy stuff with my mac & cheese.) I also just threw an end piece of my bread in the food processor for crumbs instead of rice cereal since I didn't have any cereal around when I made it. Also, bacon on top of mac & cheese? Why didn't I ever think of that before, it's brilliant! Bacon makes everything better.

Open Original Shared Link

That's how I do mac 'n cheese too. Also breadcrumbs with a bit of parmesan on top. Never thought of bacon, though :blink: Will have to think about that one. Told you I'm a purist :D

BeFree Contributor

"In a pot, melt 3 T of butter/margarine/your favorite fat on low heat.

When it melts, add 2T of cornstarch or a gluten-free flour mix and stir to combine.

When it is all combined (don't let it start browning) add 2 cups of milk (or your substitute). Turn the heat up, then stir continuously until the whole thing thickens and starts to bubble. Turn off the heat.

Add 8 oz of shredded cheese and stir until it melts. That's it, cheese sauce."

Now, that seems pretty similar to the recipe I used:

1 cup milk

2 tablespoons Bob's Red Mill all-purpose flour

salt and pepper to taste

2 tablespoons butter

But mine came out all BITTER tasting and gross! I'm wondering why???????

mushroom Proficient

Now, that seems pretty similar to the recipe I used:

1 cup milk

2 tablespoons Bob's Red Mill all-purpose flour

salt and pepper to taste

2 tablespoons butter

But mine came out all BITTER tasting and gross! I'm wondering why???????

Do you otherwise like Bob's Red Mill flour? Some people don't.

Juliebove Rising Star

I have never made cheese sauce in the microwave. I have only ever made it on the stove and that's pretty quick. I am unfamiliar with the flour you used. Prior to going gluten-free I would often use cornstarch in my cheese sauce. That works well but some people say it breaks down when reheated. If you're not going to use it as leftovers, it's not a problem. These days when I want a flour to thicken something I just use sweet rice flour.

The way I make cheese sauce is to melt some butter, then add enough flour or cornstarch to absorb all the flour. I really do not measure. However the amount of butter and flour you'd add would depend on whether you'd want a thick or thin sauce. More for a thick sauce, less for thin. Cook this down for a minute just to get the raw taste out of the flour/cornstarch. I also add some black pepper at this point because I like it!

Add your milk very slowly over a low heat, stirring all the while until it is absorbed. At this point you may want to use a whisk but I find a big spoon usually works just as well.

Once the milk is all in there, removed the pan from the heat. Then slowly whisk or stir in your cheese. You want it off of the heat to do this because if it is over the heat, your cheese could clump up in there.

If you find that your cheese isn't fully melted, then you will have to put it back over the heat, but a low heat and you will have to whisk it. Best to use finely grated cheese that is at room temp.

Adalaide Mentor

Actually, when I add the flour I always let it cook until it's golden brown. Not dark, but a nice deep gold. I find if I don't I do not like the taste at all, too starchy and gross. Probably comes down to personal preference though. It can also be pretty awful if you burn the butter. If the butter gets brown just throw it away and start over, it should get bubbly but stay yellow.

BeFree Contributor

"It can also be pretty awful if you burn the butter."

OK I'm thinking maybe I just burned it.

Julia Child I'm not.

I'll give it another try, on the stove this time so I can watch it more carefully.

Archived