DickS

Gluten Leaching From Egg Noodles Into Broth?

Rate this topic

If chicken noodle soup is made with regular egg noodles, can the gluten in the noodles leach into the broth?

Welcome to the board. Read as much here as you can and ask any questions you needed.

The broth from soup with a gluten ingredient is not something we can safely eat. We also can't take a bun off a burger or the toppings off a pizza. It is also unsafe to use the same butter, nut butters, jellies or any other condiment that gluten eaters have used as the item can be cross contaminated. It only takes a very small amount of gluten, 20 PPM to start the antibody reaction and make us sick.

• Upvote 1

If chicken noodle soup is made with regular egg noodles, can the gluten in the noodles leach into the broth?

Really? What do you think?

Let's see, we got noodles made with wheat flour. They get mushy, little bits you can barely see break off, if the noodles sit long enough they start breakig apart....

YES! There is gluten in the broth!

If your food touches the gluten item, you must assume some of it came off on your food. That means you can't pick the hamburger off the bun, Eat the cheese off the top of the pizza or peel the floury coating off the fried chicken. Use your common sense.

Looks like Raven & I posted at the same time.

yes you cannot just take out the noodles.

A scenario like this can happen in restaurants where they sometimes use the broth in some other dishes...or cook gluten-free pasta in the broth from gluten pasta.

Really? What do you think?

I think it's a fair question from someone who is new to this.

With most diets you CAN just pick stuff off and be fine. Unless you've had experience with cooking for someone with gluten issues, it's hard to understand what cross-contamination really means.

One way to visualize this is to think back when you boil spaghetti. The water is cloudy when it's done cooking. That is the flour and other ingredients that have dissolved off the noodles. I wish it were that easy but unfortunately it isn't.

I think it's a fair question from someone who is new to this.

With most diets you CAN just pick stuff off and be fine. Unless you've had experience with cooking for someone with gluten issues, it's hard to understand what cross-contamination really means.

Sorry! I didn't mean to sound so snippy! If I had said it out loud with facial expressions I would have gotten a laugh and a " Right Mom!"

I basically meant to think about it and use some common sense. Like when the kids ask me something they should be able to figure out. With the gluten-free diet, common sense is important.

I feel about people on here like I do my kids....I want them to be capable gluten-free grown-ups living happy and healthy in the world. :)

Unfortunately, anything that touches a food with gluten is a problem. You can't have the broth from noodle soup, you can't pick the toppings off pizza, you can't eat the inside of a sandwich, and you can't pick the croutons off a salad. Even what seems like ridiculously small amounts of gluten will keep your celiac disease active.

Think of how tiny bacteria and viruses are, yet our immune systems find them easily. The same is true of gluten.

• Upvote 2

Even what seems like ridiculously small amounts of gluten will keep your celiac disease active.

Think of how tiny bacteria and viruses are, yet our immune systems find them easily. The same is true of gluten.

Skylark, that's a great way to drive the message home and something that we can use to tell our family and friends when they suggest "a little won't hurt" or "surely you don't need a separate toaster"...

It is also unsafe to use a toaster that has been used for wheat bread. Cutting boards and other wooden utensils also cannot be safely cleaned. Same for cast iron pans, scratched non-stick cooking surfaces, and anything with crevices or porous surfaces.

As was stated, browse the board and read as much as you can. And welcome!