This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Bread Cravings

BarryC

BarryC Collaborator

Does anyone have an idea how to cope with bread cravings? I was brought up eating toast every morning and sandwhiches for lunch. The only gluten free bread here is 'Glutino' which is OK but I am getting tired of it.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Metoo Enthusiast

Does anyone have an idea how to cope with bread cravings? I was brought up eating toast every morning and sandwhiches for lunch. The only gluten free bread here is 'Glutino' which is OK but I am getting tired of it.

I crave the texture the most I think. So I grab some gluten free chips, or make a nice crispy waffle. I think its the crispness of bread that I miss about it. Do you know what about it you miss the most?

I have yet to try any gluten free breads..I fear them.

Gemini Experienced

I crave the texture the most I think. So I grab some gluten free chips, or make a nice crispy waffle. I think its the crispness of bread that I miss about it. Do you know what about it you miss the most?

I have yet to try any gluten free breads..I fear them.

Why would you fear gluten-free bread? There are a few excellent breads that could easily pass as wheat bread which are from dedicated facilities and are certified...it doesn't get any better than that. I would recommend the Genuis bread by Glutino or my favorite, Canyon bread, available in the US. Canyon is so good, I have fooled people that are not gluten-free into thinking it contained wheat. They had no idea they were eating gluten-free bread. The texture is the same as wheat bread.

I am very sensitive...extremely so that I get sick from small amounts of crumbs yet have never had an issue with this bread. You should never fear gluten-free bread..... ;)

Strawberry-Jam Enthusiast

I second the recommendation for Genius bread. I had some this week and I couldn't stop eating sandwiches, it was so good. I'm not really a bread person anymore, but dang if someone gave me that and said it was gluten free I'd've said they were lying through their teeth.

I would also suggest trying to make your own bread. Just experiment with recipes till you find one you like.

Googles Community Regular

I don't know how long you have been gluten free. For the first two years or so I would have cravings for bread. Especially when glutened. Over time they decreased and I hardly ever have cravings anymore, even when I get glutened. I would try to find something that filled the void when it was really bad. I found that Udi's muffins worked really well. They are expensive, but I found good and when I just couldn't stand it I would get some. I also like Udi's bread when I want a sandwich. I know people on the board have good recipes for homemade bread. You might want to look into that if you are up to doing the baking. Good luck.

Metoo Enthusiast

Why would you fear gluten-free bread? There are a few excellent breads that could easily pass as wheat bread which are from dedicated facilities and are certified...it doesn't get any better than that. I would recommend the Genuis bread by Glutino or my favorite, Canyon bread, available in the US. Canyon is so good, I have fooled people that are not gluten-free into thinking it contained wheat. They had no idea they were eating gluten-free bread. The texture is the same as wheat bread.

I am very sensitive...extremely so that I get sick from small amounts of crumbs yet have never had an issue with this bread. You should never fear gluten-free bread..... ;)

I should have said I fear the taste/texture! Not gluten! I had a hard time finding crackers I liked at first! Although I think the longer I am gluten free now the better the gluten-free bread products are tasting to me. I figure in maybe 2-3 more months when I do try bread I will have forgotten gluten breads taste and texture.

Skylark Collaborator

Udi's is getting easier to find. They have a store finder on their website. Open Original Shared Link You can mail order Rudi's or Udi's too. Among other places, Open Original Shared Link carries it. I've also gotten really nice fresh bread from the Bob's Red Mill mixes.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Gemini Experienced

I should have said I fear the taste/texture! Not gluten! I had a hard time finding crackers I liked at first! Although I think the longer I am gluten free now the better the gluten-free bread products are tasting to me. I figure in maybe 2-3 more months when I do try bread I will have forgotten gluten breads taste and texture.

I always liked the dense, grainy breads and not so much white bread so didn't have any problems with the better gluten-free breads. I admit, there are some horrible ones out there but the 2 I mentioned are quite good. I also like homemade bread but my husband is the baker and doesn't always have time to make some. The Canyon bread is phenomenal and I always make sure I have a good stock of that. I never used to eat that much bread because, funny enough, it made me feel lousy ;) but I do enjoy my toast in the morning.

Hope you find one you like but try the Canyon if possible. I like the San Juan 7 grain...very close to whole grain bread and it makes killer french toast!

Archived