This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Nausea Every Evening...

hillary13

hillary13 Rookie

I don't know about the vernors but that is always what has gotten me through the nausea before. if i can't have that, i'm gonna go crazy....

i can have ensure....i struggle with it though because of the taste....and the anorexia background just makes me scared to drink it because of the calories.....

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Skylark Collaborator

Can you make ginger tea or have a piece of candied ginger to get away from the carbonation? It's worth a shot, right?

I'm sorry to hear that the anorexia makes you afraid of Ensure. The 250 calories in a bottle are barely half a meal, right? I can sure understand not liking the taste, though the chocolate flavor is drinkable to me. I am just trying to throw out ideas since you sound hungry and miserable. :(

Hmmm... easy to digest. Rice pasta, maybe? I can get it fairly cheap at Trader Joe's and it's pretty close to wheat pasta in texture. Do things like applesauce and winter squash work?

hillary13 Rookie

A lot of things make me nervous...I have done corn pasta, I don't like rice pasta at all. And, i do eat applesauce, and pudding and jello a lot. also popsicles....

pricklypear1971 Community Regular

ok.....so I had a baked potato tonight....already nauseous. what could be wrong with a baked potato???

If that's all you had, you may need protein. Are you eating protein with every meal?

A plain potato goes in and converts to sugar without anything to slow it down - protein, fat. Or, of you notice a problem with tomato, potato you may have an issue with nightshades.

hillary13 Rookie

If that's all you had, you may need protein. Are you eating protein with every meal?

A plain potato goes in and converts to sugar without anything to slow it down - protein, fat. Or, of you notice a problem with tomato, potato you may have an issue with nightshades.

i'm not eating protein at every meal. i have a hard time with a lot of proteins and i'm not comfortable cooking a lot of things...especially meat.

kareng Grand Master

How long since you were in treatment for the anorexia? Just wondering if you might need a tune-up. Something to think about.

i'm not eating protein at every meal. i have a hard time with a lot of proteins and i'm not comfortable cooking a lot of things...especially meat.

Well, from what you listed above I'd consider finding a way to get some. Quickly converting carbs (lack of protein) can cause nausea, headache. Your blood sugar may be jumping (not implying you're diabetic) and falling because your body isn't mediating sugar. I went through a month of hypoglycemia that made me feel the way you describe, during healing. I got through it but not without protein.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

hillary13 Rookie

How long since you were in treatment for the anorexia? Just wondering if you might need a tune-up. Something to think about.

i'm starting therapy again in the next couple of weeks, but i've been in therapy consistently for a couple of years. i had to break at thanksgiving time but now i'm getting ready to start again.

hillary13 Rookie

Well, from what you listed above I'd consider finding a way to get some. Quickly converting carbs (lack of protein) can cause nausea, headache. Your blood sugar may be jumping (not implying you're diabetic) and falling because your body isn't mediating sugar. I went through a month of hypoglycemia that made me feel the way you describe, during healing. I got through it but not without protein.

thanks. :) i'm not much of a cook and this has been the biggest struggle....

thanks. :) i'm not much of a cook and this has been the biggest struggle....

Nut butters and Hormel gluten free Naturals lunch meat :).

ciamarie Rookie

Also, since you also said you had margarine with the potato, the first thing that came to my mind was soy. Can you substitute real butter in place of margarine to test that? And for protein, I eat chicken thighs a lot, with rice or rice noodles or a sweet potato and/or some other veggies. Last night I threw some frozen peas in with my rice so they'd cook together and warmed up a chicken thigh in my toaster oven. Easy!

hillary13 Rookie

Also, since you also said you had margarine with the potato, the first thing that came to my mind was soy. Can you substitute real butter in place of margarine to test that? And for protein, I eat chicken thighs a lot, with rice or rice noodles or a sweet potato and/or some other veggies. Last night I threw some frozen peas in with my rice so they'd cook together and warmed up a chicken thigh in my toaster oven. Easy!

i don't like dark meat. and....i gag on rice.

silk Contributor

Any ideas why I'm having this problem. I'm nauseous every night....like almost throwing up. It's just been since I went on the gluten-free diet. I feel especially bad tonight and have a killer headache too.

Not sure if this has been covered yet, but I am a type one diabetic and one of the most common 'tells' for me to know that my blood sugar is running low without checking by blood glucose level with my glucometer is that I feel nauseated and often have a headache to go along with it. Are you or have you been checked for diabetes? If you think about what you might be eating on the gluten-free diet, it probably includes less carbs and more proteins, fruits and veggies...just a thought.

hillary13 Rookie

Not sure if this has been covered yet, but I am a type one diabetic and one of the most common 'tells' for me to know that my blood sugar is running low without checking by blood glucose level with my glucometer is that I feel nauseated and often have a headache to go along with it. Are you or have you been checked for diabetes? If you think about what you might be eating on the gluten-free diet, it probably includes less carbs and more proteins, fruits and veggies...just a thought.

i actually have wondered about diabetes for awhile....i think i'm asking the doc when i go in a couple of weeks.

Skylark Collaborator

My upset stomach protein is egg drop soup, done in gluten-free broth of course. Bring a serving of broth to a boil and slowly add a beaten egg, stirring so that it breaks apart and cooks as you add it. Season with a little soy sauce and sesame oil. If fat is a problem with the gastroparesis, you can make it with two egg whites.

health nut Newbie

It actually makes a little sense that you are nauseated at night, since your stomach doesn't empty well- by the end of the day it may be filling up and leading to the nausea (many people vomit with gastroparesis also). Do they have you on Reglan? That is a common medication for this, that is a prokinetic agent- meaning it helps your stomach move/contract. And do they know what caused your gastroparesis? Because it often is from diabetes when constistantly high blood sugars damage the nerves that control the stomach, but it definitely isn't the only reason... I hope you can get this all figured out and feeling better!

hillary13 Rookie

So...I don't know what it is. I had a plain piece of chicken tonight. Nothing on it, completely plain. And, water to drink. And I still got nauseous. :(

Seriously, I hate that I'm feeling worse than before I went on the gluten free diet. That doesn't make me want to stay on the diet.

Skylark Collaborator

Aw geez. That sucks. I don't know what to say other than offering sympathy.

silk Contributor

Aw geez. That sucks. I don't know what to say other than offering sympathy.

I know this is probably way out there but if you are having problems digesting foods such as chicken, beef heavy proteins and raw veggies and fruits like carrots and apples, these are harder for your body to digest and process. Have you tried eating things like gluten-free oatmeal, cream of rice cereal, eggs, soups, things like that? I know they don't necessarily provide a lot of fiber, but until you heal they might still provide you with nutrition and not be so difficult for your gut to deal with.....

hillary13 Rookie

I know this is probably way out there but if you are having problems digesting foods such as chicken, beef heavy proteins and raw veggies and fruits like carrots and apples, these are harder for your body to digest and process. Have you tried eating things like gluten-free oatmeal, cream of rice cereal, eggs, soups, things like that? I know they don't necessarily provide a lot of fiber, but until you heal they might still provide you with nutrition and not be so difficult for your gut to deal with.....

i ate jell-o the other day and i was still nauseous then. and that is nothing to digest. i called the doctor to see what she thinks and am just waiting to hear back.

alex11602 Collaborator

If it is a problem with your blood sugar you need to find the right balance between carbs and protein.

For me, if I have too many carbs like a baked potato with little to no protein I will get nauseous and if I have only protein and no carbs I will also get nauseous.

I hope that you get everything figured out and start to feel better.

Archived