sreese68

Any Irish Or Scotch Whiskey That Isn't Gluten Free?

Rate this topic

First, I'm able to tolerate vodka made from grains quite well, so distilled alcohol isn't a problem for me. (Wine and sorghum beer give me stomach aches.)

I'm going to a pub tomorrow that serves beer (obviously a no-no!) irish whiskey, or scotch whiskey. I've seen a couple things on the internet with vague statements about barley mash sometimes being added back into whiskey. When I've looked on manufacturers' websites, I am not finding any info about gluten content.

So am I correct that straight whiskey is fine? But blends may be suspect? Or is that bad information?

Just makes me nervous when I see a description like this: "Glenfiddich: Speyside malt with grassy notes, chocolate hints and sweet maltiness." I'm assuming they're talking about the flavor and not malt IN the whiskey

While the concern is conceptually valid, I am not aware of any case where Scotch or Irish Whiskey actually contains gluten. There are so many single malt Scotches out there that it is impossible to make a complete statement, but it isn't on on my worry-about list.

Here are a couple of quick reads from Wiki which might set your mind at rest about (especially) single malt scotch. If you have no problem with distilled vodka I can't see you reacting to scotch. I drink single malt scotch - no problem.

ETA: Sorry - forgot links.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Single_malt_Scotch

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Is_scotch_whiskey_gluten_free

I've never reacted to Scotch single malt.

I have no problem with single scotch malt whisky,including Glenfiddich, and coeliac UK state that they are gluten free due to the process.

I can highly recommend Highland Park if you like a smooth malt. If you prefer a peaty one, Jura Superstition is good without being overpowering. If however you like a strong peat flavour then Laphroig is a good bet. Enjoy! :D

Thanks so much everyone! I'm really looking forward to tonight. Live music, drink or two, crowded pub, adult conversation (I stay home with my 4 kids). I would never have done this the last decade of pre-gluten-free. Too tired, reclusive, anxious, brain fogged, etc. It's been over 10 months now, and at around 8 months, my old music-loving, outgoing, fun personality came back!

Thanks so much everyone! I'm really looking forward to tonight. Live music, drink or two, crowded pub, adult conversation (I stay home with my 4 kids). I would never have done this the last decade of pre-gluten-free. Too tired, reclusive, anxious, brain fogged, etc. It's been over 10 months now, and at around 8 months, my old music-loving, outgoing, fun personality came back!

That's great - have a wonderful time :D