This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Happy (Re)Birthday To Me!

cyberprof

cyberprof Enthusiast

Happy Birthday to me! And Happy Re-Birthday to me too! Thursday is my birthday yes, Im a Groundhog. And in two weeks, it will be five years since I was diagnosed and went gluten-free. I have to say that this is one of the best things that has ever happened to me, after the birth of my kids.

Since diagnosis, Ive adapted to eating gluten-free and manage most situations pretty well. Business meetings and travel are still a challenge, but not unmanageable. Im known for having both a KIND bar and a LARA bar in my purse at all times.

My recovery was pretty easy and a lot of problems cleared up unexpectedly. What had become daily episodes of gas, burping, indigestion, stomach gurgles/rumbles, big D, nausea - all gone. Canker sores a monthly or weekly occurrence gone except for after glutening. Arthritis in knees, hips, spine, feet

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

rosetapper23 Explorer

First--Happy Birthday!!! Second, I'm surprised to see that your life story so closely mirrors mine. I was diagnosed at 47, and my son was the same age as your own son: 15. I'm also grateful that he was spared the many years of illness, and he grew to be tall (6'4") just like your son. The charts had indicated that he was supposed to be 6'5" to 6'8", but his growth slowed tremendously when he developed celiac at age 11. He didn't disclose to me that he was feeling ill, and it wasn't until he was 15 that he began to have problems attending school because he'd become so very ill. You and I both have a lot to be grateful for. Isn't it nice to say good-bye to the arthritis and plantar fasciitis?

When asked what I miss most, I also respond with, "Croissants!" And I also miss puff pastry and phyllo--ah, just to be able to eat them one more time would make me feel so fulfilled...

I enjoyed reading your post...and wish you a most wonderful birthday!

AVR1962 Collaborator

Happy birthday and congratulations on five years fo progress being gluten-free. Thanks for letting me that I can look forward to some of my issues passing. Struggling right now with planter's faciitis myself.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

Happy Birthday!!!!!!!

sa1937 Community Regular

Happy Birthday!!! Your post is an inspiration to so many who are struggling to regain good health!!!

It's my son's birthday today, too...another groundhog.

Bubba's Mom Enthusiast

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! :D

It's so nice to read your story of gaining good health, both for yourself and your son.

It sure sends a strong message of hope for those new to the diet, like me.

Aly1 Contributor

Happy birthday and thanks for sharing your story. Can you share something else? I'd love a carrot cake recipe!! :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cyberprof Enthusiast

Happy birthday and thanks for sharing your story. Can you share something else? I'd love a carrot cake recipe!! :)

THanks!

The carrot cake and brownies are from the Gluten Free Goddess Cake - Open Original Shared Link

Brownies - Open Original Shared Link She's updated her recipe so it's dairy-free too although the original with butter is to-die-for if you can have butter. I makethe carrot cake dairy free and use earth balance for the frosting and no-one has ever complained...even my non-gluten-free and non-df daughter!

cyberprof Enthusiast

Happy birthday and congratulations on five years fo progress being gluten-free. Thanks for letting me that I can look forward to some of my issues passing. Struggling right now with planter's faciitis myself.

It's funny about the plantar faciitis...I had it so bad that I couldn't walk at times in the 3 years before diagnosis. Even wore a night-splint for 10 months straight. Special shoes, inserts, ice - no dice. Nothing helped. But then in all the excitement about celiac, it took me about a month to realize that I wasn't in pain anymore. It could be a coincidence...but it never came back!

notme Experienced

happy birthday(s)!!! it's awesome to feel so much better after so many years of being ill for no 'reason' - i was 47 when i was diagnosed, too - and my b-day is next week :) *aquarius rocks*

Aly1 Contributor

THanks!

The carrot cake and brownies are from the Gluten Free Goddess Cake - Open Original Shared Link

Brownies - Open Original Shared Link She's updated her recipe so it's dairy-free too although the original with butter is to-die-for if you can have butter. I makethe carrot cake dairy free and use earth balance for the frosting and no-one has ever complained...even my non-gluten-free and non-df daughter!

Yay, thanks! :)

livelifelarge24 Enthusiast

Happy birthday :) this post made my day as its giving me hope! I was undiagnosed for 20 years, ecstatic to finally have an answer and feel better. But I feel like I've been more sensitive than ever, even the tiniest bit of cc and I'm down for days. Your post gives me so much hope not ro give up on myself. Thank you :)

IrishHeart Veteran

Happy Birthday from one Prof to another! :)

Thanks for sharing your inspirational story.

I am a late-in-life DXed celiac myself, but this last year of being gluten-free has been a year of slow healing and because I relentlessly pursued a DX, I feel as though, I too was re-born. I was the walking dead for 3 years. Not anymore. It will take me a while, but at least it is progress. ;)

Good for you--- and continued good health to you!

Cheers,

IH

Love the Abigail Adams quote, BTW--very true indeed!

Buffheart Apprentice

Happy belated birthday!

cyberprof Enthusiast

Thanks everyone! While some parts of the gluten-free diet are confounding, overall I am very happy and I'm glad if that gives others hope for the future. My big hope is that as more people get diagnosed, the food industry (especially restaurants and caterers) develop ways to accomodate us easier.

Archived