Googles

Celiac And Other Illness

Rate this topic

Someone asked me this week if my celiac effected my ability to heal from other illnesses (there are some nasty bugs going around where I live and I caught one of them). I was wondering if celiac effects our bodies ability to heal from things like colds and sinus infections etc.

That's a great question. I have an appointment on Monday and I'll ask my doctor what he thinks if he has time. I can say that it seems when someone else is sick for 3 days I'm sick for a week or more, so from experience I can say that I certainly recover more slowly than my friends and family.

I know at times my WBC is below normal. My hematologist said that it is autoimmune and related to my celiac. If WBC are low, then yes, one could be more susceptible to illnesses. Not sure about the duration but it sounds possible, especially if your body is still healing from having gluten, then it might take longer to heal.

I don't have a clue, but I can say that I haven't taken any antibiotics for at least 4 years now. I have gotten sick, the flu last year and right now I'm getting over some viral head thing, but I seem to be getting over it quicker than my hubby did.