Guest flowermom6117

Bessub For Egg In Bread

Rate this topic

Guest flowermom6117

My daughter has been gluten-free forover a month, but every loaf of bread I bake falls after I take it out of the oven. She is allergic to eggs and I think the bread falls because I'm using a powdered egg replacer. Anyone have something better to use? She eats the faln bread, butits hard to toast.

My daughter has been gluten-free forover a month, but every loaf of bread I bake falls after I take it out of the oven. She is allergic to eggs and I think the bread falls because I'm using a powdered egg replacer. Anyone have something better to use? She eats the faln bread, butits hard to toast.

How old is your egg replacer? If you're using egg replacer which is past the expiration date, your bread won't rise as much. (Been there, done that. lol) I tend to use egg replacer in recipes where I don't have lots of little grainy things in my bread. However, if I'm doing a mock rye with caraway seeds or dark grained breads (w/ buckwheat or teff flours), I'll use ground flax seed dissolved in hot water for my egg substitute. One tablespoon of flax stirred into 3 tablespoons of hot water and let stand 5 minutes before using will sub for one egg.

What recipe are you using ?

With the egg substitutes, you can get a nice loaf of bread if you do them as a quick bread with a baking soda and cider vinegar leavening, but with using yeast, it may not work the same way.

It also helps to alter the pan size to a smaller one, which makes the bread able to cook thru at a lower temperature for a longer time.

I've used chia seed soaked in room temperature water to make "chia gel" as an egg sub, since flax and I do not get along. I've also used psyllium husk, which can be soaked in room temp or warm water to make a gel. I've also used gluten free flour mixtures which are less likely to have to have egg to hold them together, which means I didn't use rice flour, but instead used some buckwheat, almond, garbanzo, and amaranth flours in the mixture.

When you do searches for recipes, try searching for gluten free vegan breads, which won't have egg in them. This is one I came up with that holds together enough for nice toast, and does not "fall" in the oven. link:

I cannot edit the recipe so please read the addition that chia can soak better in COLD water. Different types of flour mixtures can be used as long as the total is about 1 and 1/4 cup, but each type will react slightly differently.