kenlove

Synvisc-1 Reaction

Rate this topic

ANyway have experience with Synvisk-1? This is the injectable medicine made from rooster combs that helps replace cartilage in the knee. I had the injection and had an immediate allergic reaction and passed out for over an hour.

The next day I started breaking out in the worse case of DH i've ever had, all over the shoulders and neck.

The company says there is no gluten in the medicine although they dont know what the roosters are fed.

Strange to say the least.

I read about this stuff when I was considering it myself for OA.

It says if you have adverse reactions to "feathers, birds, poultry or eggs" you may not wish to use the product.

Since I have a problem with eggs, I went for Hyaluronic Acid, but not the kind made from rooster combs.

Also, rashes are reported in some users, they state.

Sorry you got such a reaction! :(

Oh, wow. Glad you woke up out of that !

Have a look at this blog, especially the 2009 archives page:

http://synviscsurvivor.blogspot.com/

Side effects from this stuff are more common than the regulatory body is letting on. :blink:

I had the injections several years ago, before my DX. I didn't have any bad reactions. Back then they did the injections into my knees once a week for 5 weeks.

Since then..I've reacted to Eggland's Best eggs because of the soy that they feed the birds. If soy could come through to the eggs..I don't think it's a far stretch for the feed to affect the chicken?

I'm so sorry you had such a bad reaction. It's miserable!

AND I found the shots really helped my knees.

thanks, got the link

That sounds awful. I hope the DH resolves for you soon. Meanwhile here is the FDA site link to report adverse reactions to drugs.

http://www.fda.gov/S...t/ucm053074.htm

Thanks much, Other the celiac I really dont have other problems although I am vegan and have not had eggs or any other animal protein in a few years. I'll have to do some research when I have time

I read about this stuff when I was considering it myself for OA.

It says if you have adverse reactions to "feathers, birds, poultry or eggs" you may not wish to use the product.

Since I have a problem with eggs, I went for Hyaluronic Acid, but not the kind made from rooster combs.

Also, rashes are reported in some users, they state.

Sorry you got such a reaction! :(

wow - -very interesting. i sent the lin to my kaiser doc. 4 different friends have been getting the shots with no reaction but then i'm the only celiac

Oh, wow. Glad you woke up out of that !

Have a look at this blog, especially the 2009 archives page:

http://synviscsurvivor.blogspot.com/

Side effects from this stuff are more common than the regulatory body is letting on. :blink:

when i did check into the content, the company mentioned that there could be gluten in the chicken feed.

my knee is a little better but I will never get the shot again.

take care

I had the injections several years ago, before my DX. I didn't have any bad reactions. Back then they did the injections into my knees once a week for 5 weeks.

Since then..I've reacted to Eggland's Best eggs because of the soy that they feed the birds. If soy could come through to the eggs..I don't think it's a far stretch for the feed to affect the chicken?

I'm so sorry you had such a bad reaction. It's miserable!

AND I found the shots really helped my knees.

Glad your knee is improving, Ken. Doc wanted to give it to me but after the awful reaction I had to cortisone I declined. I have a partial knee replacement. :) It has been great :D

they never mentioned the word partial to me-- i'll ask. the cortisone didnt help me at all but it has in the past with other problems although come to think of it I passed out after the third shot in the foot with it. i'll never try this stuff again!

Glad your knee is improving, Ken. Doc wanted to give it to me but after the awful reaction I had to cortisone I declined. I have a partial knee replacement. :) It has been great :D

they never mentioned the word partial to me-- i'll ask. the cortisone didnt help me at all but it has in the past with other problems although come to think of it I passed out after the third shot in the foot with it. i'll never try this stuff again!

I was able to have only a partial replacement (on the medial side) because that was the onlly side where the cartilage was worn away. My damage was caused by a sacroiliac problem :(, not osteoarthritis, per se. It was a real "wear and tear" injry :P