Rate this topic

It is my understanding, correct me if I am wrong, that one of the factors contributing to abdominal distension, apart from food malabsorption, is intestinal inflammation. I guess it would be like a swollen joint, except you cant feel it because of the lack of nerves in the intestines.

If this is correct, wouldnt anti-inflammatories help? What about using natural anti-inflammatories like cats claw? It is recommended for Chrons and colitis, so would it be helpfull for celiacs?

It is my understanding, correct me if I am wrong, that one of the factors contributing to abdominal distension, apart from food malabsorption, is intestinal inflammation. I guess it would be like a swollen joint, except you cant feel it because of the lack of nerves in the intestines.

If this is correct, wouldnt anti-inflammatories help? What about using natural anti-inflammatories like cats claw? It is recommended for Chrons and colitis, so would it be helpfull for celiacs?

First of all, my disclaimer: I'm not a medical professional and I'm not recommending that anyone use herbal or homeopathic remedies without consulting their physician first.

That being said, before I realized I had gluten intolerance, I thought maybe I had IBS, and in reading about IBS on Dr. Andrew Weils website, I found that he recommended turmeric, among other things. (Dr. Weil is an M.D. who practices integrated medecine and works with herbals and homeopathics as well as traditional allopathic meds.) I tried it back then and found that it alleviated my symptoms quite a bit. Once I realized that gluten was the actual problem and removed it from my diet, I found that the turmeric capsules helped immensely in the healing process. Turmeric is a natural anti-inflammatory, as well as an antiseptic and anti-spasmodic that has recently been shown in studies to be anti-tumor/cancer as well. It's used extensively in Ayurvedic medicine.

Since I started using it for my GI symptoms, I've noticed it's helped for other issues as well, so I've been using it for any issues I would have previously treated with ibuprofen, including chronic tendinitis in my arm, with great success.

So although I don't know anything about Cats Claw, I do agree that natural anti-inflammatories can be a big help in treating celiac.