This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Post-Ingestion Bloating

jdizzle

jdizzle Apprentice

Stopped eating gluten a few weeks ago, got through the withdrawal stage right before slipping up and unwittingly ingesting something containing 'trace amounts of gluten'. As I'd read, my reaction was worse than when I ate gluten all the time. I ate that last wednesday or thursday.. three days later I finally 'passed' the stuff, and it really really hurt my gut. I thought that I'd recover quickly after that, but nearly a week later, still painfully bloated and my sides really hurt! Before ingesting that tiny amount of gluten, I'd started going 'number 2' once a day! with no discomfort, but now I'm at least three days between stools. To be honest, the last one was pretty much forced because I thought my gut was going to explode if I didn't! It felt so full and stretched. I've just managed another (sorry to go into this X/ ) but my stomach doesn't seem smaller AT ALL! I'm STILL painfully bloated and my sides still hurt. What the heck is going on? Is there something I can do to relieve the bloating? It hurts to stand up straight, or lay on my side. I just want to feel better! Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

bluebonnet Explorer

well hopefully since you said you forced it you didn't strain something. for me, after a glutening my body seems to have this same cycle/sequence of recovering as far as my digestive system- start with bloating, gut wrenching pain and "d" and then i seem to go to constipation but still feel bloated and gut pain, and finally the bloating and pain subsides and my bowels return to normal. this usually spans a course of 5 to 7 days.

things that help- very light eating like small meals at a time, eating only easily digested foods like baked chicken or fish, gluten free broth, rice, fruits and veggies. i also take a probiotic daily along with lots and lots of lemon water to help cleanse.

it really is just a matter of time and giving your system a rest with a healthy diet to heal the inflammation. i hope you feel better soon! :)

YoloGx Rookie

Things that help me are real home made yogurt with a peeled, diced golden delicious apple, or real home made lacto-sauerkraut, or fresh blended veggies with water like parsley, celery and lettuce blended together.

Also sometimes drinking water with baking soda helps.

Some are helped too by taking charcoal tablets or capsules immediately after being glutened. Seems they absorb the gluten as well as most every thing else--so don't take continuously! Unfortunately I have to avoid these due to my salicylate sensitivity (most are made with high salicylate items like coconut shells).

Having Dandelion root tea can be a lifesaver. If its still bad add in some Barberry Root or Oregon grape root--all gentle laxatives that help the liver release bile and thus create movement in the intestines. Avoid of course if you have the big D!

Archived