alwaysamazed

Bowel Problems Even After Going Gluten Free

Rate this topic

Hello, My daughter is 21 and was diagnosed w/ celiac disease a year ago. After we begged and pleaded for the genetic blood test from her gastrologist.

Here's the problem: She still has sporadic bowel problems even though she is on a gluten free diet. She has bloody bowel movements, but says she doesn't feel like she has been glutened. And then the next day she will have normal bowel movements. Does anyone else have this problem? I think she should have a colonoscopy, but she is avoiding that. Her current gastrologist diagnosed her and then that was it. No follow up, no direction on how to deal with and what to expect with this disease.

any information is much appreciated!

Have you looked into other food intolerances such as dairy? Corn? Etc.

Have you looked into other food intolerances such as dairy? Corn? Etc.

Could also have IBS. I don't but it's always to check with the GI. Find a new GI.

Even after a few months gluten-free I still had a terrible lower left pain, GI said it was spasm. Stomach always had an ache and gnawing and bm's were always hit and miss very gassy (don't mean to be gross but more like ready whip) every couple of days. My PCP put me on an Aloe drink and probiotics. I feel 100% better. Stomach feels settled, less gas and lower left pain gone. I take a round of vitamins, extra D-3 and fish oil everyday. Remind you my PCP did all this not my old GI.

I had issues with my GI that diagnosed me, after I went to her for my endo results I went to a new GI. The new GI is very through and ran a bowel series and capsule endoscopy along with a round of other blood works.

Find a new doctor and bring peace in to your DD live. Good Luck.

If she is having bloody BMs then she really should bite the bullet and have that colonoscopy. I know the prep isn't pleasent but she really needs to eliminate dire reasons for the bleeding.

You could try to keep track of what she is eating and see if there is a connection between any particular food and her symptoms. Sometimes it can take a day or two before symptoms show up, so that makes things tricky. You need to keep track of brands with your food journal due to possible issues with shared lines and things like that.

Have you looked for cc sources like toiletries etc.?