traciknop

Celiac Diet W/ Bloating

Rate this topic

I was dx with Celiac Oct 7. I 've been gluten free since w/ the exception of 2 now known exposures...Now approaching 4 months, my Hemoglobin is rising from 9.7 to 11.2 and I know this is all good. :rolleyes: However... It seems lately EVERYTIME I eat, I bloat like a 6 month pregnant lady. I know this sounds silly- but it is depressing. :( I am trying to stay positive, any words of wisdom? I had been doing so well maintaining my weight with diet and exercise for the past 4 years...I feel like since I was Dx I have lost a grip on it all. I have gained 8 pounds in this 4 months, which is so discouraging. Any advice would be appreciated ;)

Hi there. Have you tried going off dairy? :)

Hi there. Have you tried going off dairy? :)

not yet...would that be until I pass the 6 month mark?

not yet...would that be until I pass the 6 month mark?

A lot of people with celiac are intolerant either to lactose or casein. If you're lactose intolerant, you'll be OK with lactose-free diary. Lactase is made at the tips of your villi and it sometimes reappears when you're healed. It will probably take considerably more than six months.

If you can't even tolerate lactose-free dairy, you're casein sensitive. Casein and gluten are sort of "sister proteins" and a lot of celiacs (maybe half) can't handle casein very well. Some people regain the ability to eat dairy in a year or two; others are always casein-sensitive. In my case I could eat dairy after a year, but then I started reacting to it again.