This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gaps

alext

alext Newbie

My wife is gluten free, but still get glutened about once a month. My daughter found a diet called GAPS. You basicaly start out with beef broth and build to see what is causing the problem.

Does anyone know or have a opinion about this

Thank you

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

There are some folks well versed in that diet here and they will likely reply soon.

You say your wife is getting glutened often. Are others still eating gluten in the home? If so does your wife have condiments, nut butters, butter, etc of her own? Double dipping a knife from gluten breads or foods will CC her. Flour remains airborne for up to 2 days so it is best any gluten baked goods be purchased already made. She also needs her own new toaster for gluten free bread, new strainer for gluten-free pastas, new cutting board only for gluten free foods and also if you eat or drink gluten items and then you kiss that can make her sick also so do brush your teeth well before you kiss. If she takes any supplements OTC or script drugs do check with the maker to be sure they are also gluten free.

Going with whole unprocessed foods helps us heal the fastest but many of us do have other intolerances with soy and dairy being the most common.

I hope you can figure out what is getting her soon and that she is feeling better.

Skylark Collaborator

I think you've confused GAPS with an allergy elimination diet. GAPS is a gut-healing diet designed to heal and seal a leaky gut by regrowing a better selection of gut bacteria. GAPS does cut out corn, soy, and initially dairy, which are very common allergens so if your wife is intolerant to those things it might help her figure it out. There is much more info at Open Original Shared Link

SGRhapsodos Rookie

Let her try to eliminate grains (rice, corn) and then add them one at a time to see if she reacts.

Korwyn Explorer

Along with the other questions above, also consider that lipsticks and lip balms are NOT gluten free. I can't kiss my wife if she has put certain lipsticks on - which has led some running jokes among us. :D

Having done the GAPS diet for several months, I do think that there may be some misunderstanding as to the purpose and/or application of the diet. And while simply following the GAPS diet in and of itself is not automatically gluten free (vinegar for example may or may not be gluten free) it can easily be made gluten free.

All of that said, what symptoms are appearing that cause her to feel she is getting glutened? And if she works outside the home, could it be happening at work? I have to be very careful preparing and eating my lunch at work as I've had co-workers accidentally fling crumbs across the table into my food, or one time I saw someone pass their freshly toasted bread slice over my coffee cup which I was getting ready to fill up.

Archived