Michelle L

Dairy Products On A Gluten Free Diet?

Rate this topic

I am trying to give up all dairy products, because I know that in the early stages of being gluten free, this is usually helpful.

I have been gluten free now for a month...feel a lot better, but there are still a few lingering symptoms.

Right now, the only dairy product I consume is Organic milk...just a little with my gluten free cereal in the morning.

Do you think this is bad or is it okay to just have a little dairy? Could this small amount be affecting me still? I really need cereal and like to have atleast a little milk with cereal. Does anyone drink organic milk on a gluten free diet..or know if that really makes a difference? Or should I just eliminate the milk altogether?

Thanks!

When you are first diagnosed you are likely to be lactose intolerant because of the damage in the intestine. You might still be able to drink small amounts of milk. http://www.webmd.com/digestive-disorders/tc/lactose-intolerance-topic-overview

I wasn't able to handle milk at all long before diagnosis, but after 6 months or so gluten free, I was able to handle dairy again.

One way to tell would be to eliminate it for a day or two to see if there is any change. You could also get a lactose intolerance test.

I have been working with a naturopathic doctor on my diet. I have been gluten-free for about 8 months now and dairy free for about 1 month(with great results!) and she told me that if I have an intolerance to milk it is best to cut it out altogether because even small amounts can cause problems for my body. I have suffered from severe allergies and multiple sinus infections throughout my life and she highly suspects dairy as a problem. I had to give up all of my milk and cheese products but I have found that I really like vanilla almond milk in cereal or using it to make pancakes because it is sweet. I use the unsweetened version to cook with and also they soy milk is ok. Once you are completely off then you can see what kind of a difference it makes for you.

Try almond milk, its gluten and dairy free, and excellent!

I am over 3 months gluten free and a little while ago I noticed my linger problems seemed to be getting much worse, I narrowed it down to the milk I was having on my cereal in the morning. Within a week of eliminating milk I was so much better! I so far can still eat cheese, yogurt and sour cream in limited amounts.