This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

I Hate Everything

Strawberry-Jam

Strawberry-Jam Enthusiast

been gluten free one year. cried in the grocery store today for the first time. it was the second store that didn't have what i came for, gluten-free rice porridge (had a "temporarily out of stock" sign) even thought there was a whole isle of gluteny porridge that they never run out of

I'm sick with six days of fever and infection, my mouth is full of ulcers and i can't chew anything, i just wanted something soft to eat besides chicken stock which i have to make myself from scratch or mashed bananas

I just want to eat some effing ice cream. if i could eat that, i wouldn't be starving and losing weight so fast, but no i can't do dairy and even though boyfriend and i combed all the nearby stores, NOWHERE has any effing sorbet, it's like this country never heard of a milk allergy

i hate walking thru the ice cream isle and crying because i can't have anything but a box of popsicles that are only probably 10 calories each and won't help me keep from starving

the only sorbet i know where it is is in blanchardstown , usually i have to ride my bike 40 minutes or so to get there, it's a nice treat after exercise but i'm in no position to be travelling that far in my sickness

I bought peanut butter and jam but I don't have any appetite. i just made more chicken soup and i forgot to put in salt because I am stupid. my brain has been roasting for days and i'm gonna try to go to work tomorrow anyway because i'm tired of being cooped up at home like this and i can't stand calling in, i really can't, not when i've already called in three times... i have a doctor's note that says i don't need to come in until the 9th but i tho't that was wednesday so i already told them wednesday even tho the note says thursday and i don't want to call to correct myself

i stink like sweat and my apartment is a mess and i can't see because my head hurts so much

celiac is ruining what little appetite i actually do have that might could save me

thank you for letting me rant

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
ciamarie Rookie

I'm sorry you feel so icky. :( I'm also sorry they didn't have what you needed at the store. Hope to hear you're feeling better in the next few days!

Melissa Palomo Apprentice

Aww hugs. I'm sorry. You're entitled to feeling crummy every once in a while - but try not to let it get you down. There are good and yummy things out there that you can have, you just might need some help in finding them. :) I did a quick google search on "gluten free dairy free ice cream" and came across a number of links! Like this makes me want to go and buy the ingredients right now! Open Original Shared Link

And this site has some amazing looking options, too!

Open Original Shared Link

Lisa Mentor

I am SO sorry you feel poorly. AND, if it were within my power, I would bring you some *EFFING SORBET* :( Feel better soon :)

cougie23 Explorer

Poor sweetie...It's ashame you don't live in california, we have an unlimited supply!

It's everywhere! not to rub your nose in it!

When I can't eat anything and my tummys upset...I like to make shredded apples (using a cheese grader) with alittle honey and cinnimon.Its very refreshing (very juicey) but also filling because of the fiber...plus the honey is an antioxident and will help with healing and nutrishion (google health benifits of HONEY).I usreally make myself a salad using shredded carrots , apples and trailmix (trader joes omega enforced cranberry,almond and cashew mix )its got lots of nuts like sunflowerseeds and pastachios,almonds,pumpkin ect.(The juces soften the nuts and dried fruit if you let it refrigerate anywhere bettween 15 min. to two hours). Its delishous and very filling and I eat it when I don't feel like any thing else! But if you have a sore mouth you should just have the apples and honey w/cinnimon.It's really sweet and juicy especially if you've been feverish I think you should try this!!! :D

Hope you feel better soon! B)

Also have you tried LIFEWAY probiotic lowfat kefir...Its got 10 active cultures in it giving it a effevecint kick to it like soda bubbles! the thing about live culturedyogurt/kefir is that where us lactose/casien intolerent people are conserned is that the active enzymes break down the lactose for us what little there is in this stuff...but it depends on the product becuse I've noticed some work better than others!

But definetly try the lifeway...no tummy aches and filling! :)

Skylark Collaborator

You poor thing. I always get horribly depressed when I'm running a fever. Remember that it's the infection and you will fell better soon. I'd send you sorbet and gluten-free porridge if you weren't thousands of miles away. Hey - can you find Jello or gelatin to put in fruit juice? It goes down easy and Jello always makes me feel a little better. I think it's the jiggle. ;)

YoloGx Rookie

Its horrid being sick I agree. Neither is it a good time to shop, eh?

Maybe right now is not the best time to eat sweets, given you are getting over a bug, anyway--yes??

Just to let you know, you can make your own rice porridge as long as you have a blender that isn't broken and uncooked rice on hand. Just blend for a minute and its as good as you get at the store--maybe better since you can pick through the grains first, or even wash them first and let them dry out before grinding. Plus much cheaper.

A decent coffee grinder will work too -- as long as it isn't one of those tall new Mr. Coffee ones. The rice grains destroy that one.

The soup sounds like a good idea. Just add the salt in at the end--or maybe even some seaweed as long as you don't have DH. No biggy. I put lots of veggies and rice in mine...as well as start with chicken to counteract a bug and/or azuki beans (these beans you get at an Asian market--far more digestible than most beans, will put some weight on you while dissolving unwanted cholesterol). Good garlic, onions or leeks are nice in it and/or maybe some root veggies too. You won't starve.

Bea

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Takala Enthusiast

Oh, sorry. :(

Get a blender. Go to store and buy some oranges and berries, the best you can get. Peel oranges and separate the segments, freeze, and freeze the berries after washing. Throw frozen berries & fruit into blender with sweetener of choice and maybe some coconut milk, whirr to blend, & drink. You can also do this with frozen bananas and peanut butter, maybe adding some form of chocolate.

hexon Rookie

Try looking for coconut ice cream. It doesn't necessarily have a coconut flavor, depending on what they want it to taste like. I liked the stuff even before I had to eat gluten-free.

Metoo Enthusiast

Try looking for coconut ice cream. It doesn't necessarily have a coconut flavor, depending on what they want it to taste like. I liked the stuff even before I had to eat gluten-free.

The coconut cookie dough ice cream is AWESOME! And I don't like coconut.

I don't have a blender... or want one, for that matter. I am feeling a bit better though. got some potato and leek soup for lunch today and have been snacking on popsicles.

found some rice/millet/buckwheat porridge at a health food store. had to walk a bit far to get there but, hey, i have my porridge now...

keep in mind when you recommend I get things that I live in dublin, ireland, in the city centre, where the selection is pretty crap, and you'd have to visit 12 different stores to see the variety in 1/2 of an american wholefoods

YoloGx Rookie

I don't have a blender... or want one, for that matter. I am feeling a bit better though. got some potato and leek soup for lunch today and have been snacking on popsicles.

found some rice/millet/buckwheat porridge at a health food store. had to walk a bit far to get there but, hey, i have my porridge now...

keep in mind when you recommend I get things that I live in dublin, ireland, in the city centre, where the selection is pretty crap, and you'd have to visit 12 different stores to see the variety in 1/2 of an american wholefoods

Hope your porridge works out well. Here in America we have to be careful of CC with both the millet and the buckwheat. So you see maybe you have a few things there we don't.

Potato leek soup sounds great! Glad to hear you are on the mend.

Bea

IrishHeart Veteran

wow ...here I thought Dublin was so celiac-friendly! No, huh? that's disappointing. :(

Hope you feel better soon, hon.

it's fairly celiac friendly, there's just a lack of variety, imho. it's not as much friendly for those who suffer from extra allergies on top of gluten. also, it 's not friendly to celiacs-who-can't-chew apparently. haha.

the porridge is usually stocked at my local grocery but they're out and I tried two different tescos and they're out too, idk what's going on, apparently there is a citywide kelkin porridge shortage or something.

SGRhapsodos Rookie

:-( aw. Why don't you try some applesauce? I'm sure most of them are gluten free.

YoloGx Rookie

Well at least you don't have salicylate sensitivity too.

Am thinking its potatoes or bust, eh?

Bea

Hope your porridge works out well. Here in America we have to be careful of CC with both the millet and the buckwheat. So you see maybe you have a few things there we don't.

for something to legally be labelled "gluten free" here (and in the uk iirc), since jan 1, it has to have been tested to below 20 ppm of gluten. so sure, some stuff will not be safe for super sensitives, but at least you know where you stand if something says gluten-free on it.

I've been putting acidophilus on my ulcers and they've been healing pretty quickly. they may even be gone in two or three days. yay! for now, porridge, peanut butter, and chicken soup, which I will finish making sometime today. I almost bought some apple-mango-sauce in the store the other day but then... i didn't. because I am dumb.

Gemini Experienced

Strawberry...I noticed that also when I was in Dublin last May. I wondered where all the large grocery stores were? :unsure:

There seems to be a bunch of smaller everything and it could be difficult to find gluten-free groceries. I had much better luck eating out but that gets expensive. I am not knocking Ireland as I liked the country very much but it is different than the US.

I am offering you this....if you feel comfortable sending me your name and address, I could do a care package for you and send it. Really. I go to WF once a week and can get you anything you want here. I am in New England so shipping wouldn't be terrible. In fact, I would pay for the supplies if you just pay for shipping. I know the feeling of being in a foreign country and have trouble finding food. I was like that in the beginning of being a Celiac. You didn't know where to find stuff.

I mean it...if you want some cereal or supplies, let me know. I have been very fortunate this year in being able to sell my house and I am having my dream condo built so I feel blessed. I would like to give back so if you want something from WF, let me know. Hope you feel better! :)

IrishHeart Veteran

I am offering you this....if you feel comfortable sending me your name and address, I could do a care package for you and send it. Really. I go to WF once a week and can get you anything you want here. I am in New England so shipping wouldn't be terrible. In fact, I would pay for the supplies if you just pay for shipping. I know the feeling of being in a foreign country and have trouble finding food. I was like that in the beginning of being a Celiac. You didn't know where to find stuff.

This is incredibly kind of you, Gemini!

:)

Strawberry...I noticed that also when I was in Dublin last May. I wondered where all the large grocery stores were? :unsure:

There seems to be a bunch of smaller everything and it could be difficult to find gluten-free groceries. I had much better luck eating out but that gets expensive. I am not knocking Ireland as I liked the country very much but it is different than the US.

I mean it...if you want some cereal or supplies, let me know. I have been very fortunate this year in being able to sell my house and I am having my dream condo built so I feel blessed. I would like to give back so if you want something from WF, let me know. Hope you feel better! :)

you are the nicest person~!

I have to think about what I want now :D

any suggestions for a soya, gluten, and dairy-free person?

notme Experienced

i have an ice cream maker that is pretty inexpensive and it's easy and quick to make any kind/ingredients you want. like ten minutes quick. hope you are feeling better.

Gemini Experienced

you are the nicest person~!

I have to think about what I want now :D

any suggestions for a soya, gluten, and dairy-free person?

That is tough because I am essentially gluten free and dairy lite. Soy is fine for me so I am not familiar with all those restrictions together. Anyone else have any ideas on good snacks? Are there any foods you can think of that you know you can tolerate from WF? They have hot rice cereals there so I could buy that.

Maybe others will chime in on the soy free goodies or I will have a look when I go over the week-end. I know soy is a hard one because it's in everything.

WF has a listing of gluten-free foods but I will ask if they have soy free lists. We may get lucky! Do you cook? Maybe I can pick up King Arthur mixes for you because they are soy free, gluten free and maybe dairy free.

This is good...it'll get my brain going again!

Gemini Experienced

This is incredibly kind of you, Gemini!

:)

We Celiacs have to stick together! It can be scary to be in a foreign country and not find food you can safely eat. It does get easier but it also helps to have some money and that's hard for college students.

My niece is studying in Spain this semester and I would like to think if she needed help, someone would be kind enough to do so. Although she can eat anything...it's her sister and mother that have the gluten issues.

Irish...do you know of any soy free goodies or snacks? You are soy free, correct?

mushroom Proficient

One thing I always bring back with me from Whole Foods is Coconut Secrets Soy Sauce Substitute for my stir fries of what few veggies I have to put in them :rolleyes: I also bring Lara Bara although I can get them here now for a price! Enljoy Life Chocolate Chips. Actually any of the Enjoy Life products are I think free of all three.

Gemini Experienced

One thing I always bring back with me from Whole Foods is Coconut Secrets Soy Sauce Substitute for my stir fries of what few veggies I have to put in them :rolleyes: I also bring Lara Bara although I can get them here now for a price! Enljoy Life Chocolate Chips. Actually any of the Enjoy Life products are I think free of all three.

Thank you, Mushroom!

I am going to add this, which I discovered from a google search: Open Original Shared Link They have a dedicated facility for many of the major allergins. Is there anything you see that looks good? The Enjoy Life chocolate chips are really good too.

You are in the same boat I was. Really painfully thin, from what you say, and a whole foods diet is a must but you need calories. A WF diet will not put on the pounds. You need calorie dense food.

Archived