Rate this topic

Hello, for the last 14 months my 3 year old has cronic constipation, 10 plus enemas, laxatives once a day, and 2 bowl cleanses. Two weeks ago he had an edoscopy and it came back with being celiac dieases. According to the blood work he's percentage of celiac was 22% but they said if it is less then 19% its not celiac. Should we go gluten free? And is there diffrent stages of celiac?

You have it or not. There are different symptoms but it's all the same disease.

If the endoscopy came back positive, it doesn't really matter what the blood work says. Has your Dr. talked to you about these results and what you need to do now?

The GI doctor told us if we went gluten free it would be fine. He also said in his professional opinion we didn't need to, and that he wanted to keep testing him every couple months to see if its gotten worse. Im just really confused I haven't heard to many people with constipation and they get diagnosed this isn't usally the other way around doesn't you body try to get rid of it faster.im just not sure if we want to change a 3 yo life style when the doctor doesn't think we need to.

The GI doctor told us if we went gluten free it would be fine. He also said in his professional opinion we didn't need to, and that he wanted to keep testing him every couple months to see if its gotten worse. Im just really confused I haven't heard to many people with constipation and they get diagnosed this isn't usally the other way around doesn't you body try to get rid of it faster.im just not sure if we want to change a 3 yo life style when the doctor doesn't think we need to.

There are just as many celiacs with constipation as diarrhea. However most doctors rigidly hold onto the classic profile of celiac symptoms as diarrhea, short stature, bloating and fatigue. Your doctor would profit from keeping your son eating gluten and testing him every few months, but your son wouldn't benefit whatsoever. His life is difficult enough with constipation, enemas, colon cleanses, just to have bowel movements. By comparison substituting gluten free ingredients in his food or substituting gluten free products would be a breeze, especially if a gluten free diet resolve his chronic constipation. However, he may have other allergies (like dairy) also affecting his regularity.

my daughter was constipated and has been on laxatives on and off for 18 months, we were lucky that our original gastro was wise enough go know that celiac can cause constipation, she is still constipated gluten free but not to the degree the wad before

dairy can cause constipation, my daughter's friend gets constipated if she eats cheese

Guest flowermom6117

My daughter was constpated all the time before the tests. She is not celiac according to the doctor,but do to a severe wheat allergy along with about 10 other foods she is gluten free. Our GI was like yours wanetd to keep her on gluten and test again in 6 months. I said no thanks and took her off gluten before we ever even got the results. Her constipation is gone. (I give her probiotic every night before bed.) A lot of her other symptoms are gone too. She was not a big eater before and now I cannot keep her full.

If you do decide to try a gluten free diet. I wish you good luck, but you won't need it. The first month is hard, but it gets better. Trust me if I can find food my kid can eat anyone can. (I say this because of all her allergies make it really hard, I wish she was just gluten-free)