BarryC

Carbohydrates?

Rate this topic

Does anyone else have digestive issues with carbohydrates in general-apart from the ones containing gluten? Potatoes bloat me up, even rice. I have found a low carb diet is the only way I can lose weight. I used to think I was carb intolerant, but now pretty sure its the glute. Besides, how can you live without even a few carbs. If I didnt have my glutino toast for breakfast I would go crazy.

Barry, I am all things carbohydrate intolerant. I have only figured this out because I resisted it kicking and screaming. I was ok with the gluten-free thing - but to give it all up? Insanity! I have recently figured out that I am soy intolerant as well. Just waiting for more things to pile on at this point. The only time I feel really good and have energy, is when I eat nothing but meat and veggies. If I start eating pasta, bread, popcorn, rice (all gluten-free of course), I start to get lightheaded, tired, and very spacey. Oh and my skin starts to freak out (dandruff, redness of my face, dermatitis on the left side of my nose, etc). I seem to do ok with sweet potatoes, but not regular potatoes. Thankfully, dairy is still ok for me, but sugar is NOT - so that knocks out my favorite dessert - chocolate ice cream!! I will still have a tiny bit of dark chocolate - just because I would like to still live!!

Have you tried cooking with almond or coconut flour? Has a lot of fiber and protein so you might react less, but can still have muffins and breads and such.

Kelley, I have not, but that sounds like a fantastic solution. Any ideas where I could find some great recipes using those alternatives? For the most part, I don't eat a lot of breads or pastries anyway. But to be able to make something occasionally and not have it throw my out of whack for a long time would be great. Always nice to have a muffin with coffee!! :-)

Kelley, I have not, but that sounds like a fantastic solution. Any ideas where I could find some great recipes using those alternatives? For the most part, I don't eat a lot of breads or pastries anyway. But to be able to make something occasionally and not have it throw my out of whack for a long time would be great. Always nice to have a muffin with coffee!! :-)

Not Kelley but these are my 3 favorite sites that have almond flour recipes.

Elana's Pantry

Real Sustenance

Comfy Belly

Agree with the pp about Elana's Pantry - her stuff is so easy and really good. I make the chocolate chip cookies for my son a lot and I actually like them better than the gluten version. Also the Spunky Coconut (www.spunkycoconut.com). My favorite is her vanilla bean cake recipe. I usually do that for my son's birthday cakes.

Agree with the pp about Elana's Pantry - her stuff is so easy and really good. I make the chocolate chip cookies for my son a lot and I actually like them better than the gluten version. Also the Spunky Coconut (www.spunkycoconut.com). My favorite is her vanilla bean cake recipe. I usually do that for my son's birthday cakes.

Thank you for posting this, I was just looking through her recipes and there are quite a few I can make without substitution.

I will be attending a lecture in Apr entitled Food For Thought: How Nutrients Affect Mental Health and the Brain.

It's a 6 hour seminar for health care professionals. These people are from IBP, Institute for Brain Potential

It will cover exactly this(carbs) and other ways nutrients influence key neurotransmitters, stress-related eating, blood sugar and the brain & behavior and last but not least, optimizing sleep & awareness.

YES! The food you are eating is making you nuts! Thank god for this site and all the paths it has lead me on! I am feeling so good!