Michelle L

Organic Milk And Gluten Free

Rate this topic

I know in the early stages of going gluten free, it is usually recommended to go dairy free too. I did that for the first couple of weeks pretty much without problem.

But, I really like cereal and it is something good to eat, so I have only a bit of organic milk with it. Do you think this little bit of milk, even organic, could still be affecting me? Does anyone here use organic milk...or should I just eliminate dairy altogether?? Any thoughts? Does the organic milk make a significant difference?

Thanks!

Organic milk still has casein and lactose. If you are still feeling ill, I'd recommend eliminating dairy altogether. If you feel well and seem to tolerate the dairy OK then go for it!

The caseans are the killer for me, I can tolerate very little lactose free milk, just enough for a bowl of cereal but that took about 2 years to get to that point and Ice Cream is out forever.

The caseans are the killer for me, I can tolerate very little lactose free milk, just enough for a bowl of cereal but that took about 2 years to get to that point and Ice Cream is out forever.

Try the hemp or coconut milk ice creams. They are very nice. :)

I know in the early stages of going gluten free, it is usually recommended to go dairy free too. I did that for the first couple of weeks pretty much without problem.

But, I really like cereal and it is something good to eat, so I have only a bit of organic milk with it. Do you think this little bit of milk, even organic, could still be affecting me? Does anyone here use organic milk...or should I just eliminate dairy altogether?? Any thoughts? Does the organic milk make a significant difference?

Thanks!

As Skylark said, the intolerance to lactose doesn't recognize the difference between organic and regularly processed milk. There is Lactaid milk, but I couldn't tolerate even that at the end. If you want a milk with your cereal try almond or hemp milk. I think you will find them both suitable substitutes. You can make sauces and puddings with them too, and use them in baking too. :)

We like coconut milk. I think it has a creamier texture than the nut milks. I discovered raw (unpasteurized) earlier last year. I still cannot tolerate pasteurized dairy products (projectile vomiting within 10-15 minutes) but I have no problem with raw milk. I'm pretty sure I've figured out why here (scroll down to the "Nutritional Differences:" section). Plus it (subjectively) tastes far better than any milk I ever drank in my whole life.

(Please note that the FDA and various health agencies advise against consuming any unpasteurized dairy products.).

Thanks...

I have tried Rice milk...but I didn't really respond well to it. Maybe I will give it another try.

I also cannot have almond milk either because I can't have any nut products.

Do you think the coconut milk you guys mentioned would be okay to try...or since I have to stay away from nut products, would that be a no?