Silencio

Gluten Free Tax Refund Help?

Rate this topic

So im doing my taxes and im at the Medical Expenses section. I didnt work at all in 2011 and I entered in the total amount of all receipts from 2011. It says "Your non-refundable credits exceed your tax payable. You should carry all or a portion of your medical expenses forward to next year. To carry-forward medical expenses, remove the amounts, and save your receipts for use in a future year." Could someone explain what this means? Maybe I cant do it since I didnt work in 2011?

Could someone explain what this means? Maybe I cant do it since I didnt work in 2011?

I would think that was the case. Also this may not be the case where you are but in the US you can only deduct the difference of the amount of gluten free food over the same food in gluten form and it needs to come to a certain percentage of your total income. You may want to contact a knowledgeable tax person to find out if it is worth your time to even keep track of the expenses and what you have to do to make the expenses deductable.

I talked to my doc about this yesterday. He said, "Sure I'll give

you a letter for your taxes. No problem. But I gave a celiac patient a letter for her taxes last years and she filed and....later, she was audited."

Bummer.

Wonder if it sends a red flag?

Not sure I am going to bother with it myself. :unsure:

• Upvote 1

I talked to my doc about this yesterday. He said, "Sure I'll give

you a letter for your taxes. No problem. But I gave a celiac patient a letter for her taxes last years and she filed and....later, she was audited."

Bummer.

Wonder if it sends a red flag?

Not sure I am going to bother with it myself. :unsure:

It really isn't worth it in the States to try and deduct gluten-free food as medical expenses. It only adds up if you pay for surgery out of pocket. You can only deduct the difference and it has to be a minimum of 7 1/2% of your total adjusted income. If you buy a LOT of processed foods and have other medical problems where you shell out a lot of money, then you may hit that minimum.

I also do not trust the IRS so would go out of my way to avoid an audit. :ph34r:

• Upvote 1