This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Casein Intolerance Symtpoms- Extreme Thirst?

dac07011

dac07011 Newbie

I found out that I had celiac disease a year ago. My symptoms were never too severe- just extreme bloating, gas, and embarrassing noises! Since going gluten free, my symptoms have completely subsided- I can now hang out with people after I eat and not be worried about my stomach! HOWEVER, recently, my symptoms have begun to flare up a bit. Definitely less severe, but they are the same symptoms that I have when I eat gluten. Another recent symptom is EXTREME thirst. I drink around 160 oz a day, and urinate very often because of this. I saw an endocrinologist but he didn't see anything related to hormones that would explain the extreme thirst. I am starting to see a pattern of the increased thirst after I eat milk products, such as ice cream. I'm worried that I may have developed a casein intolerance. My question for you all is: has anyone had the symptoms of extreme thirst related to a casein intolerance? And also, do you recommend I go on an elimination diet to make sure it is dairy or should I just go see my GI? Are there any tests that they can actually perform? Sorry this is so long! Thanks so much!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

RiceGuy Collaborator

One of my most noticeable symptoms of gluten intolerance was extreme thirst. Although there were symptoms from dairy, I didn't notice thirst from that.

What I'd do in your case is to simply try eliminating dairy, and any other suspects you may have, and see how you feel. Then reintroduce one at a time, and see what happens.

missy'smom Collaborator

Extreme thist can be a sign of blood sugar imbalance. Have you been tested?

Ice cream has a fair amount of sugar in it, do you have the same thirst after other dairy that has no added sugar?

If that was your symptom for casein allergy then you should get the same symptom with a similar ingredient in a similar portion, something like milk or cream, that you do with icecream, after all icecream is made with them.

I have a number of food allergies and find that I do crave something when I get symptoms/reactions-like runny nose, mouth burning etc. and crave sweets or alcohol or something to take that away. It took me a while to realize what was going on. Now I recognize the symtoms more clearly. It makes sense that you might be thirsty. It's the histamines I think. I was told to drink a lot, keep the system hydrated after an allergic reaction so your thirst might be serving a good purpose.

I don't know if there is a casein intolerance. There is a casein allergy. I have it. I was tested with skin testing. There is also lactose intolerance. There is a test for that, but I don't know what kind. There is also what is called a milk subfraction test-blood-which tests for about 4 components or dairy. I had that done. Wasn't helpful for me but there may be some variance with how labs run it and it may/may not be helpful for others. I don't know how accurate it is or what it's reputation is. I was just trying to put toether pieces of the puzzle and gave it a shot.

• 5 months later...
cavernio Enthusiast

I know this is old, but you didn't get a lot of answers.

I wouldn't call my own experience extreme thirst, but since I went gluten free

I noticed that dairy makes my mouth very dry-feeling, (while not actually being dry because I feel my salivary glands are working just fine), especially my tongue, even in small amounts. It can make me want to drink a lot of water only to pee it out an hour later, but it feels more like pseudo thirst to me.

I have since stopped all dairy and my intestines seem happier for it, and when I screwed up once and had a full serving of pesto with parmesan, I felt like I was getting the flu the following day; a flu which cleared up the next couple of days.

I am going to ask my GI about casein and dairy specifically when I see him in a couple weeks time.

I think there are tests which can be done to measure IgA to casein, however, I'm not sure if they're ever done as a diagnostic. I say this because there are research papers which seem to be able to figure out that some celiacs tissue react to casein through IgA responses to it, but I've never heard of GI's performing casein testing. There are things like Enterolab which tries to find IgA responses from your stools? I think, and there are special 'allergists' which have been trained to find non IgE 'allergies'.

To my unprofessional mind, a thirst response could indicate potential kidney prolems due to allergens. In IgA nephropathy, where the kidneys get overburdened and can get clogged and damaged from too much IgA in the blood, or so I've read online, thirst seems like a very, very likely symptom.

• 3 years later...
remixmouse Newbie

Hi, I found this post when searching about the thirst that I get (mostly at night) and this is the first thread thread that describes a similar symptom:
extreme pseudo-thirst in the back of my mouth, top of my throat and my tongue, while my salivary glands are working just fine, and no amount of water seems to make an impact.

I've been dairy- and gluten-free for 6 months to see if it makes a difference but it hasn't. Have you found anything else out about your symptoms? Could there be another food that is causing it?

gilligan Enthusiast

When healing, I didn't have extreme thirst, but I lost so much weight that I became seriously dehydrated several times.  I started drinking unflavored Pedialyte to alleviate it.  While at the ER once for dehydration, a nurse told me adding a small amount of sugar and salt would do the same thing cheaper.  I think it was 1/4 tsp of each.  Maybe trying that would help with electrolytes a bit and you wouldn't feel so thirsty.  

Archived