Irishgirl76

How Long Until Distended Belly Goes Away?

Rate this topic

Hello,

My daughter has been gluten-free now for almost 2 weeks (will be 2 weeks tomorrow). She is still complaining of tummy pain. Today she complained several times so I checked her belly, and it is still very distended, and rock hard. Is this something that just takes time to dissipate? Or should I suspect she is getting glutened? Or maybe some other issue is going on?

Thanks,

Alissa

It's been 3+ weeks for me and I'm seeing a decrease in belly size. My stomach pains have gone away as well. If she is experiencing stomach pains and distention, perhaps she's getting in gluten somehow.

Is it possible that she is constipated? It is tougher to get enough fiber on the gluten-free diet, so make sure she is...regular? I ended up in emerg once with a hugely distended belly and lots of pain and they took an x-ray (weird) and the doc told me I was "REALLY VERY backed up". Kind of embarassing :P I have found NutraCleanse to be the best gluten-free product so far to keep things moving. It's a blend of flax seeds and some other helpful ingredients. I also take flax oil. Another option that I have found helpful is a blended fruit and veggie drink. Just make sure you use a blender or Vitamix type thing and not a juicer, or you'll lose all the pulp...the fiber :P I hope this helps?