This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Oral Allergy Syndrome And Celiac

Owlmuse

Owlmuse Rookie

I'm new to forums in general but I had a question I couldn't find answered anywhere. It seems that there are quite a few Celiacs out there who also have Oral Allergy Syndrome (the cross-reaction condition where your body views certain fruits, nuts, and/or vegetables as tree pollen, grass pollen etc). I am one of those number. I had read a couple posts (which was also suggested by a friend of mine) that some oral allergy symptoms can decrease once Celiac is diagnosed and a Gluten free diet is begun. Have any of you out there heard of this or found it to be true (or false)?

I was diagnosed with Celiac only two weeks ago and have been Gluten Free since. It's limiting and I'm finding the "forever" part of Gluten Free rather daunting. I was just curious if there is a glimmer of hope on the horizon like getting to eat a fresh apple for the first time in 10 years. My Oral Allergy is limited to my lip, palette, tongue and upper throat which I believe is typical. I'm only (severely) allergic to the tree pollen but all nuts, fresh fruit, and most fresh veggies (except leafs like lettuce and endive) have been out for me for a decade. I'm 23 and forever seems a really long time. Anyone have or have heard of OAS being influence by gluten-free? My thought to it is that your immune system will calm down on gluten-free and perhaps react less. I'm not a science-y person but it was just a (hopeful) thought. Thanks for reading! :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cassP Contributor

oh i cant help u here... i just developed what i believe to be OAS after going gluten free- but to be honest- i dont think it had anything to do with me going gluten free. it happened almost immediately after i got dx with Hashimotos (and later Graves too)... and got on Thyroid meds... then i became allergic to certain foods... but not all the time, and usually raw- especially carrots.. its really strange, and im suspecting OAS.. because it's worse when the pollen is high.

i ASSUME my immune system is on hyperdrive from thyroid meds and decades of undx thyroid disease, and possibly my adrenals being out of whack..

you're gonna be all around much healthier after going gluten free- and have a better working immune system- (balanced)... but i really cant tell u how it will affect your allergies-

good luck to u- and be careful... if it makes u feel any better- i cant eat apples cause i get intestinal cramping :/

Owlmuse Rookie

That's really interesting, I have Grave's too! I know it has a correlation with celiac but with OAS too? I was diagnosed with OAS 10 years ago, Grave's 8 years ago and Celiac 2 weeks ago (although I was told I probably had it longer than I have had Graves). It's interesting you were diagnosed for the same three conditions in a very different order. I doubt that means anything I just find it interesting. It's nice to know someone out there is dealing with a similar situation ;)

suz2024 Newbie

Wow, I feel like I am reading about myself!! Just yesterday I realized I suffered from OAS since I was a teen. I was dx with Graves in 2006, and the women in my family were dx with Celiac in 2009.

I found this information out because I wanted to start making smoothies in the morning but I could not use fresh fruit because of my reactions.

Nice to meet others like myself.

Suzette

Owlmuse Rookie

See this is what was making me curious about the relationship of OAS and Celiac (and now Graves). I mean it could be all a coincidence. I don't know.

cassP Contributor

i have Hashimoto's as well... i imagine with my symptoms that i had Hashimoto's 1st.... Celiac & Graves later... im just guessing on the OAS... but ive been in OVERDRIVE since starting thyroid meds for Hashimoto's... i had heard that the meds at first "feed" the thyroid attack.. and i know that adrenals are exhausted with thyroid conditions... i began reacting to certain raw produce after getting on meds... its very strange and ANNOYING.... like i dont already have enough foods i cant eat :(

thyroid disease & gluten intolerance go hand in hand :/

Archived