This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

For The Ladies: Clinique Lipstick -- Help!

zeeclass6

zeeclass6 Explorer

I've been using Clinique Long Lasting Lipstick in Bamboo Pink for many years. It's a great color for me. But I just found out it has gluten in it!! The last time I wore it, I noticed that it made my lips a bit chapped. So I think I was reacting to it and should stop using it :(

Does anyone else wear that color, and have you found a good substitute for it? I just don't have the energy to start lipstick shopping. I'm hoping that someone else on this forum has figured this out.

Thank you!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

biancanera Newbie

I've never used that shade but comparing the color and shine of it, I'd say you ought to try "Hue" or "Pervette" by MAC. However I can't see any ingredient lists on their site. I do know that the two shades I have of theirs are gluten free and safe, I don't know about ALL their products though.

Open Original Shared Link

BabsV Enthusiast

Yikes! I remember when my favorite lipstick color was discontinued...so disappointing. I've recently found Red Apple Lipstick which is gluten free (and paraben free and a bunch of other stuff free too!) I was leery about buying lipstick online but I did and I love it. The colors are gorgeous and the glosses and lipsticks I've tried have worn really well. Their customer service is awesome (my first order actually went AWOL and they sent out another package right away, no questions asked) and they have free regular shipping. I hear they are thinking of expanding to all sorts of make-up if they can come up with formulations that fit their requirements and are good quality. I will so buy it if they make more types of make-up. Just do a search for 'red apple lipstick' and the site will pop up.

Aly1 Contributor

I've been using Clinique Long Lasting Lipstick in Bamboo Pink for many years. It's a great color for me. But I just found out it has gluten in it!! The last time I wore it, I noticed that it made my lips a bit chapped. So I think I was reacting to it and should stop using it :(

Does anyone else wear that color, and have you found a good substitute for it? I just don't have the energy to start lipstick shopping. I'm hoping that someone else on this forum has figured this out.

Thank you!

Baagh! That's my favorite lipstick, now I have to toss it (I only wear lipstick every once in a while and haven't since I went gluten-free.) Glad you posted. Do post again if you come across a good substitute, please. :)

zeeclass6 Explorer

Baagh! That's my favorite lipstick, now I have to toss it (I only wear lipstick every once in a while and haven't since I went gluten-free.) Glad you posted. Do post again if you come across a good substitute, please. :)

Well, I bought some colors of gluten-free lipstick from Ecco Bella online. When they get here, I will let you ladies know which one seems to be equivalent to Bamboo Pink by Clinique. There are also some colors by Afterglow that look equivalent, but their lipsticks cost twice as much as Ecco Bella's. I might buy one or two eventually to see how they compare.

For the moment, I got a couple of drugstore lip glosses from a gluten-free list I'd found online....Neutrogena Moisture(something) ...I don't have it in front of me at the moment.

zeeclass6 Explorer

The continuing saga of gluten-free lipsticks...

I got my Ecco Bella lipsticks today. The color Napa Grape is very close to Bamboo Pink. However, I find the lipstick to feel very heavy and chalky on my lips, not nice and light the way the Clinque lipstick was. Also, it is very very matte, so I have to put some gloss over it, or it looks chalky. I also got their Vitamin E Lip Smoother in Rhubarb, and that is a little lighter and smoother, and the color is similar to Bamboo Pink. I like that one better. It doesn't feel as heavy on the lips.

I will buy some Afterglow lipsticks and see how they fare.

The Neutrogena Lip Gloss which is VERY close to the Bamboo Pink color is MoistureShine Gloss in Vita Plum #230. Open Original Shared Link

I might just also write to Clinique and beg them to help me find a gluten-free lipstick in their brand that is close to Bamboo Pink. I have never found their lipsticks to feel heavy or icky. It really sucks to have to give up my favorite!

One thing is for sure....since not using a lipstick that contains gluten, my lips are not chapped at all anymore. I had no idea previously. It really amazes me.

burdee Enthusiast

Thank you!

When I researched Clinique ingredients, I found that only the daily moisturizer did not contain gluten, dairy or soy ingredients (3 of my dx'd allergies). So I continued their moisturizer but switched to Revlon (which was free of my allergens) for all my lipstick, and switched to Almay for other makeup.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived