This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Did Anyone See The Today Show This Morning?

Macbre

Macbre Explorer

Did anyone else listen to Nancy Snyderman talk about the "gluten-free Diet" on the Today Show? She was talking about how gluten-free foods are not providing the nutrients your body needs and refered to it as the "new sexy diet craze." OMG....I don't know about anyone else, but there is NOTHING sexy about having to eat gluten-free and especially nothing sexy about what happens if someone in our cases doesn't eat gluten-free. I was fuming by the time the segment was over and I was especially disappointed when she answered a viewers question about wanting to know if the stomach pains she's had for years could be due to gluten and Nancy's response was to definitly have it checked out, but in the meantime she should start a gluten-free diet. That is horrible advise! I can't believe she didn't do more research on this topic before she started giving advise on what you should do if you think you have Celiac's.

Please tell me someone else saw this.....

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

biancanera Newbie

I didn't see it since I'm at work but that is just horrible! Seriously??!

srall Contributor

I did not see the show. I learned early on that magazine articles and t.v. shows that addressed gluten free diets will drive you crazy.

mbrookes Community Regular

I did not see it, but my husband told me about it. Yhis kind of publicity is harmful to all of those of us who have to be gluten free for health reasons. I presents gluten free dieters as flighty and trendy, I get all the nutrition I need, bur it is something I have to plan for.

ndw3363 Contributor

Just watched it on their website - always knew I hated that show. Why, and I mean WHY would anyone that doesn't have to be on this diet want to try it? Oh I'll lose weight cause most of the people I see that are on the diet are thin....well that's because we don't absorb any nutrients and we're SICK!!! You want to voluntarily join our club? Really?? The laziness of some people in this country astounds me. I don't want to eat healthy and exercise, so I'll just pull a new diet out of the clear blue sky...surely that will solve my problem right? I don't actually have to CONSUME a vegetable as long as I'm not eating gluten!

Sheesh! Ok, I'm done venting for now. Yes I agree that the most frustrating part of that whole segment was "while you are waiting for your doctor's appointment, go ahead and try the gluten free diet...can't hurt". Only then you are almost certainly going to get a negative test result (like I did) and doctor's won't pursue a formal diagnosis after that.

While there may be a lot of junk on the internet these days, I am so thankful for sites such as this. Nice to know we don't have to suffer alone! Happy Friday everyone! :D

Kansas Rookie

Do you suppose they are really that dumb, or they know the whole health industry would change, if we didn't have all autoimmune problems and symptoms related to gluten? Might take a nickle out of their pocket!

mamaw Community Regular

People have weird ideas about the gluten-free lifestyle... I wonder if it will ever change... Maybe she & Eizabeth Hasselbeck should get together & actually learn about the gluten-free diet & why people who are ill follow this diet...media people just spout off about issues they have no clue about...just because they can.. It doesn't have to be correct...

I just tune these people out & consider the source....but then we must spend hours correcting their poor judgement ...

I feel bad for the newbies who want to believe everything they read... like cheating is okay....just because info comes from a over paid talk host doesn't qualifiy them...

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

notme Experienced

this is not the first time this woman has butchered the facts on national tv. the first time she told people that gluten can be re-introduced after awhile. REALLY??

this interview, she began with cautioning people and warning against self-diagnosis. then a few minutes later, she gave the advice (mentioned earlier in this thread) that "while you are waiting for your doctor's appointment, you should start the gluten-free diet" - WHY??? so you can get a false negative????? so you can re-introduce gluten for your blood test and go through the pain and suffering???? SO THAT SELF-DIAGNOSIS IS YOUR ONLY OPTION?????

THANKS ALOT, STUPID.

i am always happy to see information available to the public regarding gluten-free/celiac. this woman butchers the facts and presents it as gospel.

also, instead of advising people that so much food is NATURALLY GLUTEN-FREE she suggests buying packaged gluten-free stuff. yay, nbc :(

Lisa Mentor

Open Original Shared Link

I watched it and yelled NOwhen she said "go ahead and start the diet" before diagnosis.

Highly disappointing!

notme Experienced

here is the link. she actually does say something about natural ingredients. (what is the deal with *fresh* eggs..... )

Lisa Mentor

(what is the deal with *fresh* eggs..... )

Maybe she was thinking spoiled eggs and rancid meat. :P Oh, we can eat seeds, too. Whew, what a relief.

Feel free to contact the Today Show with your comments. I will.

Takala Enthusiast

Oh, is "Dr." Nancy Snyderman at it again ? She's done this before. I had a write up I did before, that I didn't publish because I had smoke coming out of my ears.

I really think the woman has mental issues regarding food. There was video on MSNBC of the previous show, (probably the one poster 'notme!' has seen, it was on around Aug 24 -25, 2010 from my notes) where the ***** was asked by a woman viewer "my husband was just diagnosed with celiac, will he ever be able to eat gluten again?" and she told her "yes." This is both factually incorrect, medically incorrect, and rather cruel and bizarre.

I kept playing it over and over, thinking, OMFG. :blink:

The producer of the show received all sorts of comments from actual celiacs and true gluten intolerants about that one, so it's not like she hasn't been notified via her production team, unless she ignores them. She does not know what she is talking about, she's either nutty, past her prime and can't remember, or gets her jollies telling other women who aren't "perfect" what they should eat.

notme Experienced

i did send a comment to nbc and encourage you all to do the same. yes, that is the segment i was referring to (CELIAC RE-INTRODUCING GLUTEN???!!! WHAT???!!!) the worst part is that there are people out there who are going to be mis-diagnosed and dismissed and continue to suffer needlessly. mis-information is worse than no information in this case.....

angelic Newbie

I always have gut pains after watching her. <_< It makes me think everything she says are half-truths or incomplete statements. I don't trust her. Something else I've noticed about powers-that-be who seem to know-it-all is that they often don't! They give you a false sense of confidence unless you know better. I see that a lot; ie, clergy, politicians, doctors, realtors, bankers, bosses! Too bad we can't vote her off the island.

National news can seem to delve into such important topics as Kim Kardashian (who has psoriasis and should look into gluten-free), but give minutes to such an important topic like gluten and our guts in our overly gluten-dairy-soy-corn food processed culture. Yes, what WAS the "fresh" eggs about?! Let's emphasize that? Weird.

Why don't they ever list obesity, constipation or no gut problems as symptoms?!

What about gluten-free/dairy-free for other autoimmune diseases, NOT just celiac?

Now I'll be getting calls from friends and relatives teaching ME about gluten ... :rolleyes:

maximoo Enthusiast

I just tweeted Nancy Snyderman linking this url.

I also commented on her facebook.

My small part in trying to rid the world of misinformation.

mushroom Proficient

Well done, maximoo. I can't believe this woman is at it again. When I first started watching her on local TV in SF I used to like her, but as she got farther removed from patients she became less and less reliable in my book, and now she is in the deep end and can't swim :rolleyes:

GFinDC Veteran

Well, she made some good points too. Like eating mostly whole foods. She did boo-boo on the statement about having to have digestive symptoms to have celiac disease. Silent celiac would not exist if she were right. And the starting the diet before seeing the doctor for tests is not good advice generally. I hope anyone watching a program like this with just a few minutes of information on a health topic that is dumbed down and simplified for mass consumption would do their own research afterwards. But there are probably people who wouldn't bother. :(

Don't chickens lay fresh eggs on wheat straw? Ha-Ha just kidding1 :D

annie1517 Newbie

"Today" just aired another piece regarding gluten-free and celiac (Fri, Feb 17). They used their nutritionist this time, and failed to mention the gaff(s) that occurred with Dr. Snyderman's piece that aired last week. Better information this time regarding testing. However, they still missed the mark with the symptom piece, as they made it appear that one would have all the listed symptoms, and as we all know, only listed a handful of the numerous possible symptoms.

As someone whose g-intolerance presents as constipation, it gets frustrating to always hear of the diarrhea/loose stool symptoms presented as the main symptom. I wonder how true that really is?

I think this was "Today's" attempt to correct the reckless commentary of Dr. Nancy Syderman from last week, although the show didn't come out and admit that (surprize). They also said, "If you don't need to be on the diet, don't be on it!" insinuating that gluten-free eating is potentially harmful and dangerous. Stupid!

notme Experienced

well, power to you guys :) on the today show this morning, they had the dietician, joy bauer, advise that you should NOT start eating gluten free if you suspect you have celiac disease. YAYYYY!!!! i think everything she said was actually factual. ( i am going to watch the segment again just to be sure lolz) i have watched this show every morning for a very long time. for them to repeat a topic so soon is VERY unusual, so i think we got our point across. very good.

Lisa Mentor

Here is the clip:

skinnyDiva Newbie

Even Doctor Oz kept referring to going gluten free as a way soothe your "tummy ache". I was so upset with him. He has the perfect forum to explain to the world that our problems are real health issues. Elizabeth Hasselhoff (forgive my sp.) looked horrified that it was being put out there as a diet fad.

norcal-gf Newbie

Let's contact her on social media!

Lisa Mentor

Let's contact her on social media!

There are some real wacko's posting on her FB page. What a shame... people can be so rude! Disagree with her, but people should do it respectfully.

But, I must say, those that posted regarding her segment on Celiac, all were respectful! Good Job Dani!

I was pleased they did a BETTER segment with Joy Bauer (a week later). I think our peeps were successful. I thought she did a great job!

Archived