cahill

The Roanoke- Lynchburg Va Area

Rate this topic

My daughter and her husband are considering a move to the Lynchburg - Roanoke Va. area.

Does anyone have any information about this area they can share with me???

My daughter and her husband are considering a move to the Lynchburg - Roanoke Va. area.

Does anyone have any information about this area they can share with me???

Hey Richard

???

Richard Lovegrov is a member here who lives in Roanoke. I was just calling him to your question. B):lol:

I live in Roanoke. What sort of information are you looking for?

See....he heard me! :P

Roanoke has Kroger Stores to DIE FOR! They have everything you could possibly want or need.

:lol: :lol:

Roanoke has Kroger Stores to DIE FOR! They have everything you could possibly want or need.

I heard you, Lisa!!! I can't remember if you ever visit the Roanoke area?

It's not gluten-free heaven but it's much better than it once was, that's for sure. But I also think the original poster might want more than just gluten-free info.

richard

I am really looking for an idea of what the area is like.

I since I would be visiting often (possibly moving there at some point )I would be interested in outside activities (hiking trails ect..)

My daughter is mainly interested in the housing market and schools ( she has young children). She is looking into the college in Lynchburg for her self.

Of course gluten free restaurants ( she is also gluten free) and the best places to shop .

Any information about the area would be appreciated :D

http://www.visitroanokeva.com/

My sister and family live in the Roanoke area. I'm up there several times a year.

OK, that's what I thought. Bad memory.

I am really looking for an idea of what the area is like.

I since I would be visiting often (possibly moving there at some point )I would be interested in outside activities (hiking trails ect..)

My daughter is mainly interested in the housing market and schools ( she has young children). She is looking into the college in Lynchburg for her self.

Of course gluten free restaurants ( she is also gluten free) and the best places to shop .

Any information about the area would be appreciated :D

I can't really tell you a whole lot about Lynchburg. My sister lived there for several years and really didn't like it at first but it grew on her. Being the home of Thomas Roads Baptist, Liberty University, and Jerry Falwell, it has quite an evangelical flavor, but you also find all kinds since there are three other colleges in the immediate area. I can't tell you much about eating gluten-free there, except that there is a place that has gluten-free pizza. They also have Kroger, which seems to carry more and more gluten-free stuff.

The Roanoke area has tons of hiking opportunities since it's on the edge of the Appalachian Trail and the Jefferson and George Washington national forests. The Blue Ridge Parkway also runs through the area.

http://www.roanoke.com/outdoors/hiking/wb/xp-index

http://www.roanoke.com/outdoors/biking/wb/xp-index

I don't know where your daughter is coming from but the Roanoke housing market is inexpensive compared to many areas. We live in the city and were perfectly happy with the schools, but a lot of people flee the city once their kids get through elementary school. There's more poverty and kids with extreme needs in the city. I'm not wild about the city's middle schools, but I'm not wild about middle schools in a lot of places. That's a tough time for kids in general.

Lynchburg has some decent shopping while Roanoke has the largest mall in the area, Valley View. Neither one compares to what you'd find in a larger urban area. I know some folks are excited that we just got a Kohls. Gluten-free wise, Roanoke definitely has the edge shopping, and it has a number of restaurants that I trust to do a gluten-free meal. If it matters to you, both towns have Single A professional baseball, although it sounds like the Lynchburg one might be leaving. Salem, which borders Roanoke, hosts a number of college Division III national championships.

richard

It looks like a beautiful area .

Thank you for the information and the links :D