ndw3363

Red Wine - Pinot Vs. Cabernet

Rate this topic

Ok I have a question. I was reading through some old threads to try to figure this out. I love a glass of red wine in the winter. Perfect with dinner and great to have to unwind at the end of a crappy day. Normally at home, I drink an Italian Pinot Noir - 1 - 2 small glasses (not the giant glasses you get in a restaurant). I can have this with no after effects. Now, two weeks ago, I was downtown at our Super Bowl festivities and they were selling cheap Cabernet (can't drink beer so this was my only option). Yes I did have a bit more than normal, but I was so sick it scared me. I was shaking all night, didn't get a wink of sleep and had hot flashes all night. Thought maybe it was an isolated experience. But last night, I went to Cooper's Hawk for dinner and had their wine of the month - slightly drier and more tannins than a Pinot. Only had one glass and I felt horrible overnight. I didn't get sick, but boy I wanted to. Same reaction...no sleep, hot flashes all night. So what am I reacting to? Is it sulfites or tannins? I'm only having a glass a week now since I had two rather strong reactions. But I would like to figure it out. You all are so smart, I was hoping someone would know. Thanks!!

Is it sulfites or tannins?

That's been my experience. Red wine will send me to the bath room, but I am fine with Pinot Grigio...with more than one. :D