desperateforhealth

What Am I Reacting To?!

Rate this topic

I'm sorry for all my questions. I am just so tired of not knowing what I need to do to heal.

Feel free to skip the next two paragraphs of detailed explanation because my questions don't really need the background, I just wanted to provide it if it's helpful at all.

I started my gluten-free diet three weeks ago and at first things were going okay, but not great (which I realize is normal, since these things take time). After doing research, I started taking a probiotic LAST Tuesday. The full dose gave me D once so I chopped it and took half early and half late to try to space them out, just for a couple days, and then went back to taking the full dose all at once. Everything was okay until THIS Tuesday, when I had a reaction (D) after eating a salad with tomato and supposedly gluten-free salad dressing. That was BEFORE I took my probiotic that day. I ended up attributing it to the tomato (which I had cut a week before so it had sat in my fridge for a while) or maybe the salad dressing, since there was no guarantee of it being casein free, and I believe I am sensitive to that too.

Then today, I had another "reaction" after eating the SAME meal that I've been eating for the last two days--a tomato, some corn, and some pork roast. This meal has never given me trouble before. However, this time the reaction happened right after I took the probiotic (which was about 20 minutes after eating), and was very similar one to the reaction I had on Tuesday--meaning that I had D but didn't actually feel yucky or sick or even uncomfortable. Usually when my stomach gets "upset" from something I ate I feel pretty bad.

So... my question is this: Could I still be having a herx reaction from the propbiotics a week and a half after starting them? Or could I be sensitive to tomatoes--are any of you? No other fruits/veggies seem to give me trouble...

Thank you for your time!

P.S. I'm pretty sure this is not from gluten exposure, I eat very little food that could be possibly cross contaminated, I am as careful as possible.

Tomatoes (and potatoes - in fact all nightshades) are on my no-no list. Corn, too!

It sounds like it could be either one. Does the probiotic specifically say it's gluten-free? Some people do react to tomatoes, too. (As mushroom said above.) The only way to really know is to eliminate one or both of them for a few days, and then try one or the other (but not both), and wait a day or 2 before trying the other one.

Whatever it is, it may be that since it's early in your healing, that you'd be able to test it again in a few months and it may be o.k. then. It takes time to sort it all out.

Thank you, mushroom! I haven't noticed any effects from potatoes but I will keep my eye out.

ciamarie-Thanks very much, that is good advice. My probiotic is indeed gluten and dairy-free, fortunately. I will stay away from tomatoes for a while and see how things work out.