This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Glutened! Who Was The Culprit?

rabbit24

rabbit24 Newbie

udi's breads

bertolli olive oil

and nutella

The only things that I ate that could possibly be causing this sickness. Any help?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

psawyer Proficient

Welcome.

I'm sorry, but you have not given nearly enough information for me to answer.

How do you know what made you sick? How long have you been gluten-free? How severe was your villous atrophy? What else did you eat that might have caused a reaction? What WAS your reaction?

Your first post here provides no context or background, but questions three products generally accepted as gluten-free.

Please provide some more background so we can understand the context here.

Lisa Mentor

None of your listings would cause me concern. But your history would be an important road to consider.

dilettantesteph Collaborator

Some celiacs are more sensitive than others. What one eats without problems, another can't. You could go on a whole foods diet till you are better than add things one at a time to know what you can eat.

rabbit24 Newbie

Welcome.

I'm sorry, but you have not given nearly enough information for me to answer.

How do you know what made you sick? How long have you been gluten-free? How severe was your villous atrophy? What else did you eat that might have caused a reaction? What WAS your reaction?

Your first post here provides no context or background, but questions three products generally accepted as gluten-free.

Please provide some more background so we can understand the context here.

oops sorry about that psawyer, cant really think straight right now.

I don't know what made me sick, that's what i want to find out because i got sick two times in one month. To be honest im tearing up right now because i feel so sick, and so frustrated that this is happening again. I have been gluten free for about 6 months now. The doctor did not do a biopsy because of all the factors in this, long story, i did get the blood test but that along with everything else and a positive response from the gluten free diet they knew as well as i did too that this is the only thing that fits and explains all my medical problems. I was doing very well for a while and now i keep getting sick again every couple months. Now twice in a month. I swear im this close to only eating salad for the rest of my life.

Everything i have eaten:

udi's cinnamon raisin bread

udi's whole grain bread

udi's pizza crust

bertolli olive oil (every time i ate this i felt nauseas afterward)

starkist tuna in water, the blue and silver can

tazo tea, stash tea, twinings tea, and once i had this cold and flu tea but it is supposed to be gluten-free

jif peanut butter

nutella

plain rice

mccormick salt

mccormick basil

I only have gluten free pots pans toaster dishes etc so its not that either. ugh i feel like barfing.

my main problem is severe nausea, I am so queasy its unbearable. Brain fog and depression also. So basically I just feel very very ill, and brain fog, i am extremely pale and sick looking and am losing weight.

rabbit24 Newbie

Some celiacs are more sensitive than others. What one eats without problems, another can't. You could go on a whole foods diet till you are better than add things one at a time to know what you can eat.

i might have to do that. how do i do that? im so sick it seems like no matter what i try its killing me. even things tht are supposed to be safe

kareng Grand Master

oops sorry about that psawyer, cant really think straight right now.

I don't know what made me sick, that's what i want to find out because i got sick two times in one month. To be honest im tearing up right now because i feel so sick, and so frustrated that this is happening again. I have been gluten free for about 6 months now. The doctor did not do a biopsy because of all the factors in this, long story, i did get the blood test but that along with everything else and a positive response from the gluten free diet they knew as well as i did too that this is the only thing that fits and explains all my medical problems. I was doing very well for a while and now i keep getting sick again every couple months. Now twice in a month. I swear im this close to only eating salad for the rest of my life.

Everything i have eaten:

udi's cinnamon raisin bread

udi's whole grain bread

udi's pizza crust

bertolli olive oil (every time i ate this i felt nauseas afterward)

starkist tuna in water, the blue and silver can

tazo tea, stash tea, twinings tea, and once i had this cold and flu tea but it is supposed to be gluten-free

jif peanut butter

nutella

plain rice

mccormick salt

mccormick basil

I only have gluten free pots pans toaster dishes etc so its not that either. ugh i feel like barfing.

my main problem is severe nausea, I am so queasy its unbearable. Brain fog and depression also. So basically I just feel very very ill, and brain fog, i am extremely pale and sick looking and am losing weight.

There is no fruits or veggies, not much fiber. Lots of processed stuff. Even the good gluten-free stuff has a lot of sometimes, odd ingredients. What if you tried a less processed food diet. Chicken, rice, cooked veggies?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

confusedandlost Rookie
:ph34r:
dilettantesteph Collaborator

i might have to do that. how do i do that? im so sick it seems like no matter what i try its killing me. even things tht are supposed to be safe

Eat produce and unprocessed meats.

Skylark Collaborator

I see you are eating a lot of Udi's. Not everyone can tolerate that much xanthan gum.

Dairy was getting me and I thought it was hidden gluten for the longest time. I got sick after a party where I had wine, grapes, and cheese and blamed it on the wine, then on cracker crumb CC when challenged wine and it was OK. :lol: (Yes, I was in denial. I love cheese.) I am also finding that I react to tomatoes. What I thought was a reaction to shared fryer CC when I ate french fries is actually a reaction to ketsup I put on the fries.

I'd suggest starting a food/symptom diary and looking for patterns, particularly what you ate the two days before one of your reactions. Pay particularly close attention to dairy and soy.

mommida Enthusiast

From that list you have eaten eggs, soy, and nuts. 3 offerings from the top 8 allergens. Keep a food journal to see if you can track down another intolerance. Keep in mind some reactions can cause damage for 12 days. :huh:

Cathey Apprentice

Try the whole foods and leave out the processed ones. Also can tuna contains broth, was the mayo cross contaminated? You never know what is in that broth the only safe broth is the ones labeled gluten free and trust me the tuna can does not say gluten-free. Hope you find what bit you.

IrishHeart Veteran

Your diet is missing fruits, vegetables, meat, poultry, fish and nuts and eggs. :blink:

You are losing weight, hon because you are not getting enough protein!

If you are eating butter and using cheese on that pizza crust--you may have a dairy intolerance.

There is so much going on it COULD be, rather than any "suspect" product.

Eat plain foods for a week or so and see if you feel better.

This means meat, fish, vegs, fruit, nuts, eggs. No gluten-free products from packages, nothing from a can. Plain and simple.

Do you take probiotics? It might help straighten out your gut.

Just some suggestions.

eatmeat4good Enthusiast

Meat and vegetables will or should heal you.

I get nauseous from too much gluten free stuff like Udi's even if it is safe for us. I don't know if it is Xanthan gum or what. I love Udi's and keep it around for snacks and treats...but it remains just that...snacks and treats. For my main healing food I eat meat and vegetables. Some fruit and nuts for dessert. Good luck to you. I know how much it sucks to be so sick that you really don't feel like cooking and you really cannot think straight. It was bad. Fortunately everybody who said eat whole foods is right. It gets better. Make soups out of meat and veggies or chicken and veggies. If you are really nauseous and having trouble eating, puree your meat and veggies or soup and get it in that way. Raw vegetables are sometimes really hard on your digestive system until you heal. In the end I had to give up dairy and eggs too because they make me sick. You will have to find out what the culprit is, but the only way is to eat clean for a while and then test the foods you suspect. Hope you feel better soon.

Archived