This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Risk Of Cancer If I Continue To Ingest Gluten?

Silencio

Silencio Enthusiast

I cant find much about it online. My doctor told me to stay off gluten because I have a better chance of getting cancer if I continue to ingest gluten. I have been off gluten since I was diagnosed but im just wondering.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

pain*in*my*gut Apprentice

I cant find much about it online. My doctor told me to stay off gluten because I have a better chance of getting cancer if I continue to ingest gluten. I have been off gluten since I was diagnosed but im just wondering.

Your doc is right. Here you go....

Open Original Shared Link

Skylark Collaborator

Wikipedia has pretty good info.

Open Original Shared Link

Don't worry though. Our risk of cancer drops to normal after about a year on the gluten-free diet. The enteropathy-associated T-cell lymphoma is pretty scary but it's usually only seen in people with advanced celiac disease who aren't on the diet.

Silencio Enthusiast

The reason I ask is because its kinda tough for me to know when I am glutened since I dont react to anything at all. The tests say I have it but I would never know it if I ate a regular piece of pizza or bread. I wouldn't do that but just giving an example.

pain*in*my*gut Apprentice

The reason I ask is because its kinda tough for me to know when I am glutened since I dont react to anything at all. The tests say I have it but I would never know it if I ate a regular piece of pizza or bread. I wouldn't do that but just giving an example.

Yes, that would be tough. I would think regular follow-ups with your GI for blood tests would be sufficient to make sure your numbers stay in the normal range and you are not accidentally getting glutened on a regular basis.

Skylark Collaborator

I agree. Take reasonable care and follow up with your doctor for blood tests and you will be fine. It's the people who go undiagnosed for all their lives who get cancer.

love2travel Mentor

You and me both - I did not react to gluten, either. I have no clue whether I would now (have been off nearly a year) and not am about to find out. However, I was away for the past two weeks, visiting family (lots of little nieces and nephews) and have no idea whether I was glutened. I cooked about 95% of the meals myself and was very careful but still.

As others have mentioned, I was also told that the cancer risks are the same as non-celiacs after being off gluten a year.

My doctor has done bloodwork on me twice so far and both times were negative so I am doing something right! :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

come dance with me Enthusiast

Wow that would be difficult. My 8yo ingested gluten over the weekend, trace amounts, and spent yesterday in bed holding her tummy screaming out in pain, so we can easily tell. You would have to be even more aware if your body doesn't tell you. I agree with regular checks. I take my dd for follow up blood tests but yeah, as you can see, I know when there is a slight slip up.

Silencio Enthusiast

You and me both - I did not react to gluten, either. I have no clue whether I would now (have been off nearly a year) and not am about to find out. However, I was away for the past two weeks, visiting family (lots of little nieces and nephews) and have no idea whether I was glutened. I cooked about 95% of the meals myself and was very careful but still.

As others have mentioned, I was also told that the cancer risks are the same as non-celiacs after being off gluten a year.

My doctor has done bloodwork on me twice so far and both times were negative so I am doing something right! :)

Yeah I go in for blood work every 3 months to see if everything is cool. Its almost that time again (first blood work since I was diagnosed) so I guess I will find out how well I have been doing with it. On another subject, im heading down to the Kinnikinnick store here in Edmonton to check out the new soft bread and buns that you informed me about in another thread.

come dance with me, I read stories all the time of people in so much pain over the slightest amount. I am pretty lucky not to have that.

BarryC Collaborator

Colo-rectal cancer runs in my family. I lost my Dad andtwo uncles in their 40's. I am 53, but I also lead a healthier lifestyle, no smoking, not too much booze. I wouldnt be surprised if their is a connection. They all ate lots of fatty meat slopped up with my Grannies home made bread. They all had the big bloated belly like I have, which is only now starting to soften up.

Silencio Enthusiast

I am pretty bad for eating alot of junk too. I am really skinny and cant gain much if I tried. I have never drank or smoked though

BeFree Contributor

"Our risk of cancer drops to normal after about a year on the gluten-free diet."

That's good to know!!!!

Archived