Silencio

Risk Of Cancer If I Continue To Ingest Gluten?

Rate this topic

I cant find much about it online. My doctor told me to stay off gluten because I have a better chance of getting cancer if I continue to ingest gluten. I have been off gluten since I was diagnosed but im just wondering.

I cant find much about it online. My doctor told me to stay off gluten because I have a better chance of getting cancer if I continue to ingest gluten. I have been off gluten since I was diagnosed but im just wondering.

Your doc is right. Here you go....

http://www.celiaccentral.org/Celiac-Disease/Related-Diseases/Intestinal-Cancer/46/

Wikipedia has pretty good info.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gluten-sensitive_enteropathy_associated_conditions#Precancerous_states

Don't worry though. Our risk of cancer drops to normal after about a year on the gluten-free diet. The enteropathy-associated T-cell lymphoma is pretty scary but it's usually only seen in people with advanced celiac disease who aren't on the diet.

The reason I ask is because its kinda tough for me to know when I am glutened since I dont react to anything at all. The tests say I have it but I would never know it if I ate a regular piece of pizza or bread. I wouldn't do that but just giving an example.

The reason I ask is because its kinda tough for me to know when I am glutened since I dont react to anything at all. The tests say I have it but I would never know it if I ate a regular piece of pizza or bread. I wouldn't do that but just giving an example.

Yes, that would be tough. I would think regular follow-ups with your GI for blood tests would be sufficient to make sure your numbers stay in the normal range and you are not accidentally getting glutened on a regular basis.

• Upvote 1

I agree. Take reasonable care and follow up with your doctor for blood tests and you will be fine. It's the people who go undiagnosed for all their lives who get cancer.

You and me both - I did not react to gluten, either. I have no clue whether I would now (have been off nearly a year) and not am about to find out. However, I was away for the past two weeks, visiting family (lots of little nieces and nephews) and have no idea whether I was glutened. I cooked about 95% of the meals myself and was very careful but still.

As others have mentioned, I was also told that the cancer risks are the same as non-celiacs after being off gluten a year.

My doctor has done bloodwork on me twice so far and both times were negative so I am doing something right! :)

Wow that would be difficult. My 8yo ingested gluten over the weekend, trace amounts, and spent yesterday in bed holding her tummy screaming out in pain, so we can easily tell. You would have to be even more aware if your body doesn't tell you. I agree with regular checks. I take my dd for follow up blood tests but yeah, as you can see, I know when there is a slight slip up.

You and me both - I did not react to gluten, either. I have no clue whether I would now (have been off nearly a year) and not am about to find out. However, I was away for the past two weeks, visiting family (lots of little nieces and nephews) and have no idea whether I was glutened. I cooked about 95% of the meals myself and was very careful but still.

As others have mentioned, I was also told that the cancer risks are the same as non-celiacs after being off gluten a year.

My doctor has done bloodwork on me twice so far and both times were negative so I am doing something right! :)

Yeah I go in for blood work every 3 months to see if everything is cool. Its almost that time again (first blood work since I was diagnosed) so I guess I will find out how well I have been doing with it. On another subject, im heading down to the Kinnikinnick store here in Edmonton to check out the new soft bread and buns that you informed me about in another thread.

come dance with me, I read stories all the time of people in so much pain over the slightest amount. I am pretty lucky not to have that.

Colo-rectal cancer runs in my family. I lost my Dad andtwo uncles in their 40's. I am 53, but I also lead a healthier lifestyle, no smoking, not too much booze. I wouldnt be surprised if their is a connection. They all ate lots of fatty meat slopped up with my Grannies home made bread. They all had the big bloated belly like I have, which is only now starting to soften up.

I am pretty bad for eating alot of junk too. I am really skinny and cant gain much if I tried. I have never drank or smoked though

"Our risk of cancer drops to normal after about a year on the gluten-free diet."

That's good to know!!!!