MackenzieMcMahon

Diagnosed With Celiac - But Have Not Been Getting Sick From Beer

Rate this topic

Hi everyone. I'm new to the group. I've had Celiac for 1 year now. At first it was hard for me to adapt, but now, the only thing that bothers me is not being able to drink (regular) beer. Yes, i've tried Red Bridge and all of that, and I really enjoy it. However, it's rare in my area to find that beer at bars, restaurants, etc. For the past month or so, I've been drinking BUd light, Coors light, etc. out at the bars and I have NOT gotten sick. But a few months ago, I ate a roll and was sick for a week, so i know that bread, etc makes me sick, but I don't understand why the beer wouldn't.

Has anyone had this happen to them?

Do you recommend I get tested again?

Any input would help!!

Some things bother me more and some things don't really cause problems but I don't want to eat them cause long term they make it worse.

Since you have been gluten free for a year you would need at least 3 months back on a full gluten diet before testing and you could still have a false negative. If you were diagnosed by a doctor's testing then you are celiac. You may have healed enough so that small amounts of gluten don't seem to bother you but the antibody reaction is still likely going on. IMHO you are playing with fire. Can you get a glass of wine or something for sure gluten free like a clear rum and coke instead of a gluten based beer? If you are a regular customer of some establishments ask the bar managers if they will get some Redbridge for you. Many will be happy to order it.