GFSAHmom

Huge Improvement Going Gluten Free

Rate this topic

;) My son Cale (2 1/2yrs) Was diagnosed with celiac January 6th 2012.

Jan 6- 33 1/4 in tall.

Feb 2- 34 1/4 in tall

Feb 14- 34 3/4in tall

I know he's gainging weight by looking at him but we don't have a scale so i'm not sure about his exact weight.

I've actually been able to loosen up the adjustable waist band on his pants! and 24m overhauls are too short! I'm very excited:)

What was you're/your child's growth? Is this Normal?

Thanks!! -casey-

My youngest son was diagnosed a hair shy of turning 6. He was always small and did not weight a lot. After going gluten free he has had a growth explsosion. He is now 7 and has grown over 4 1/2 inches. He went from the 10th or 20th percentile on height (not sure which one he was at) to the 50th. He is no longer one of the smallest kids. He is right smack dab in the middle. He has gained weight, but he is growing again in height and his weight isn't keeping up. He is a skinny kid. I think he weighs about 50 lbs now and is 4 ft. 1 in. tall. Not bad.. ;)

My oldest who is 11 has been gluten free for 6 months now. He is not diagnosed celiac but gluten obviouslly affects him. He had quit growing in 4th grade. He had since grown about a 1/2" in height and has gained 6+ lbs. so the diet is helping him too.

We've had periods of time when we were figuring out cc issues for months and the growth dropped off again. We got to the doctor often in those periods. She showed us the growth chart one time and you can see him dropping off his growth line, and then getting back on it again as he has cc issues and then gets a good diet again. It was really remarkable. It was nice to have that confirmation that we are doing the right thing with his diet.

Our son was always tall but SKINNY....3 months gluten-free, with low oxalates (that combo seems the magic gut healing combo here) he has gained 10 lbs, gone from size 10 to size 14 jeans, and grown about 1 1/2 inches and he is a wee bit pudgy and not skinny as a rail.