ElizFost

Packaged Nuts And Frozen Fruits/veggies

Rate this topic

I'm trying to perfect my and my 2 year old daughter's gluten-free diet. I noticed frozen veggies and fruits at Whole Foods do not offer gluten free info. on the package. Packaged nuts at Trader Joe's do not say gluten free. Can you just rinse them and they would be safe? Even if you buy this type of product and it says "shared equipment" wouldn't rinsing take care of the problem?

I wouldn't personally buy anything made on shared equipment. And no, I don't think rinsing it would take care of the problem. It might if it were something like a dried bean. But people here have reported problems with dried beans too. As for the product saying it is gluten-free, that's not likely to happen. If it is a food that is naturally gluten-free, I don't think they can make that claim. If it is a prepared food, I think they can.

Most of the foods I eat are not specifically labeled gluten free. Frozen fruits and vegetables are naturally gluten free. The only exception might be those with added sauces. Nuts are also naturally gluten-free but as you have noticed, some have an issue with cc. If there is that possibility, it will be stated as such. I have had no problems with Planters nuts, and I eat them every day. (Note: I have never tried the fancy flavored kinds, so can't speak for those.)

• Upvote 1

Look carefully on the labels of nuts at Trader Joe's. Some of them say that they are produced at a facility that also produces wheat. I know that the organic salted cashews aren't labeled that way, so that's what I get. I've also gotten some raw walnuts from there, too. Most of their products don't say gluten free, specifically, but just read the labels.