Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Join eNewsletter

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-m):

Join eNewsletter

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

zeeclass6

Traveling Abroad - What gluten-free Tools Do You Recommend?

I am probably going on a trip with my family to southern France and Barcelona in a little more than a month, so I'm still fairly new at this. You guys have told me, in a different thread, that I shouldn't be too worried about eating out in Europe. I barely eat out here at home anymore since going gluten-free (which is awful because I'm a bit of a "foodie.")

I am buying two Let's Eat Out Passport books:

- The Let's Eat Out With Celiac and Food Allergies

- The Multi-Lingual Phrase Passport from the same series as the Lets Eat Out books

Can you recommend anything else that would be helpful? I think someone mentioned some cards or something to give to a waiter to take into the kitchen (???)

Thank you!

-Lynn

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

gluten free dining cards, maybe some sort of plastic travel fork, and an open mindedness toward getting yourself food at a supermarket or farmer's market instead of a restaurant, if need be (even if you don't have a kitchen). It also can't hurt to pack some snacks in your suitcase.

"Let food be thy medicine, and let thy medicine be food." - Hippocrates

I usually write down a few phrases in whatever language I am visiting. And try to look up foods from that country to see if I need to watch for any hidden things. I haven't had any issues yet but am as careful as I can be. I haven't heard of these dining cards. This sounds great! I will check it out.