ChristenDG

Cornmeal

Rate this topic

So I was trying to come up with something for dinner but failed miserably as there is NO food in the house. I pulled out some Cornmeal and I was looking at the ingredient list and thought, "Oh ok, so cornmeal is safe." But then it said "Warning: Contains wheat." But wheat was nowhere in the ingredients... I couldn't make anything with it anyways since it was out of date. I looked it up online and everything seemed to indicate that Cornmeal was safe, however it said it contained wheat... I was just curious as to whether or not this would be okay for me to eat.

Christen, interesting.....if the package says it contains wheat I would not eat it. The cornmeal I buy does not have wheat and I have done fine with it. Perhaps it just depends on what brand you get.

It's possible that it is run on shared lines with wheat. Cornmeal in and of itself is gluten free. But it certainly can be cross contaminated.

I wouldnt eat it. Hodgson Mill corn meal is gluten free.

well, I just talked to them, and they said the product is gluten free, but shared on equipment with wheat-so I guess eat at your own risk.

From the Hodgson Mill's website today, 2/17/12 (bolding mine)

Our Organic Yellow Corn Meal is grown and processed in accordance with the National Organic Program's standards and the California Organic Foods Act of 1990. These methods ensure superb flavor, great health benefits, by nature gluten free and minimal effects on the environment. Hodgson Mill Organic Yellow Corn Meal has the great taste and 100% whole grain nutrition of all Hodgson Mill flours and meals. Note: not produced on dedicated equipment.

http://www.hodgsonmillstore.com/en/Flours-and-Meals/Organic-Yellow-Corn-Meal/71518-05103-001_Group.aspx

Does not sound like they are bothering to prevent cross contamination nor are batch testing to ensure less than 20 parts per million gluten, does it ?

Same thing with their brown rice flour -

http://www.hodgsonmillstore.com/en/Flours-and-Meals/Brown-Rice-Flour/71518-05041-001_Group-1.aspx

We grind the entire rice grain into our versatile Brown Rice Flour, then pack it and ship it to you immediately, guaranteeing you the freshest product possible. Use it in snacks and soups, or for homemade baby foods and dietetic foods. Gluten free by nature, not produced on dedicated equipment.

Yet they CLAIM that some of their gluten free mixes, like gluten free cake mixes, and the multi- purpose baking mix, are produced on dedicated equipment in a gluten free environment, so I am wondering if they sub- contract that and just put their label on it, either way, Hodgson's Mill product's true "gluten free" status is extremely confusing for the average consumer.